Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:36:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: IT Administrator Mining  (Read 15427 times)
tonto

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 08:46:01 PM

Some kinds of "time theft" or whatever are just officially allowed by your employer, for good reasons.
Other things aren't, however, and you just shouldn't do those.

Things like using the bathroom or jotting down personal notes surely belong to the first category, if done within reason.
Using company resources for CPU mining (which isn't even profitable as a whole), or outright stealing inventory, certainly belongs to the latter category.

I get that, I do.  Just irritates me how people jump on someone that doesn't affect them at all (unless it creates negativity towards bitcoin).

I personally avoid people I don't like.  But I don't try to destroy them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 08:53:26 PM

Some kinds of "time theft" or whatever are just officially allowed by your employer, for good reasons.
Other things aren't, however, and you just shouldn't do those.

Things like using the bathroom or jotting down personal notes surely belong to the first category, if done within reason.
Using company resources for CPU mining (which isn't even profitable as a whole), or outright stealing inventory, certainly belongs to the latter category.

I get that, I do.  Just irritates me how people jump on someone that doesn't affect them at all (unless it creates negativity towards bitcoin).

I personally avoid people I don't like.  But I don't try to destroy them.
I believe in justice, and making the world a better place.  The world is a better place when scumbags like D. Metcalfe aren't allowed to continue stealing from the company he works for.

If no one reports crimes when they happen, then there would be no incentive for people to not commit crimes.  In other words, crime would be rampant.  Part of keeping a civil world civil is ensuring that the lawbreakers receive just punishment for their actions.
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 09:12:41 PM

Ok I think this has gone overboard.  I'm willing to bet that everyone in this thread has "stolen" company resources.  Ever gone to the bathroom outside your allotted break?  That's theft of time.  Used a company phone to make a personal phone call?  Theft of time.  Talk to your coworkers about the NCAA tournament? Read Facebook at work when it's not your job to do so?  Used a sticky note to jot down something that you forgot about to do at home?

etc, etc.

My 7970 (at home) costs me $0.64 cents per day to mine.   The shit I just took at work 10 minutes ago?  $2.08 of company time.

Listen, I get that you don't want bitcoin to get a bad name, and these actions would darken bitcoin's image.  But seriously, I would have just ignored the kid, not get him fired.  That's wrong, IMO.
So, you're equating bathroom breaks with $500/month of electricity and stolen computer systems being sold on eBay?  Really?  REALLY?

I mean, I think it's an interesting thing to think about (I even analyzed the company I work for a few years ago and estimated they paid $17k/month for people to use the bathroom), but I wouldn't at all equate unintentional labor hours lost with intentional misuse of company resources and/or actual theft of physical resources.

There have been a number of articles recently in major newspapers regarding the Millennial Generation.  These articles describe a number of reputable studies that indicate that the majority of Gen M have little regard for anyone, but themselves.  Some rebuttal articles would describe Gen M as, "differently moral," and not careless.  The latest articles would describe these "differently moral" attributes primarily as more tolerant of other's lifestyle, e.g. LGBT, and more conscious and caring of the environment.  The later study also points out that these "different" morals have more to do with individualism rather than any conception of moral fabric or social contract.

As a wise man once said, "You can't make up your own morals."  Morality, in large part, doesn't seems to be at play with Gen M.

My point follows.  IMHO Wink

I say, that both you, Tonto, and Mr. Metcalfe's attitudes are absurd and typify this kind of corruption of morality that ppl are reporting about Gen M.

People with an honest disposition get upset about Mr. Metcalfe's actions and attitude.  While cases of jealousy at someone's ability to take advantage of their situation in a very dishonest way is a possibility I seriously doubt that represents the majority sentiment for posters on this thread.

The honest man can't believe someone would be dishonest.  The dishonest man can't believe someone would be honest.  I suppose somewhere in the middle are those that would just have the chips fall where they may.
tonto

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 09:25:12 PM

There have been a number of articles recently in major newspapers regarding the Millennial Generation.  These articles describe a number of reputable studies that indicate that the majority of Gen M have little regard for anyone, but themselves.  Some rebuttal articles would describe Gen M as, "differently moral," and not careless.  The latest articles would describe these "differently moral" attributes primarily as more tolerant of other's lifestyle, e.g. LGBT, and more conscious and caring of the environment.  The later study also points out that these "different" morals have more to do with individualism rather than any conception of moral fabric or social contract.

As a wise man once said, "You can't make up your own morals."  Morality, in large part, doesn't seems to be at play with Gen M.

My point follows.  IMHO Wink

I say, that both you, Tonto, and Mr. Metcalfe's attitudes are absurd and typify this kind of corruption of morality that ppl are reporting about Gen M.

People with an honest disposition get upset about Mr. Metcalfe's actions and attitude.  While cases of jealousy at someone's ability to take advantage of their situation in a very dishonest way is a possibility I seriously doubt that represents the majority sentiment for posters on this thread.

The honest man can't believe someone would be dishonest.  The dishonest man can't believe someone would be honest.  I suppose somewhere in the middle are those that would just have the chips fall where they may.

I think you have me mistaken as a Gen M or something, which I'm not.  I'm upset at the attitude to destroy an individual when the people doing the destruction have also stolen things from their work places.  Perhaps not physical things, but still company resources. 

Pot. Kettle. Black.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 09:25:57 PM

I think you have me mistaken as a Gen M or something, which I'm not.  I'm upset at the attitude to destroy an individual when the people doing the destruction have also stolen things from their work places.  Perhaps not physical things, but still company resources. 

Pot. Kettle. Black.
You missed the part where he actually did steal physical things.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
tonto

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 09:28:00 PM

Pot. Kettle. Black.

No I saw that, I meant the other participants in this thread.
ensign_lee

Activity: 886

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 09:39:58 PM

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Yes, this was where the line was drawn for most people, including myself. Steal company's time < steal company's electricity <<< outright stealing physical hardware and reselling it.

Yet you equate the three tonto. What? That doesn't make sense to anyone except you.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 09:40:21 PM

I don't think using the restroom qualifies as time theft.  Using the restroom is an ordinary activity that everyone does, and the need to take breaks and use the restroom is priced into the compensation paid to the employee.  Many places in the United States mandate paid breaks by law (examples: http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/rest.htm) and hold the employer legally liable for even so much as inducing the employee to skip them - comparison to theft of an employer's property is a complete non-sequitur.

The intent has much to do with it as well.  An employee who accidentally leaves work with his employer's property is far less culpable than one who intentionally takes it and sells it on eBay.  The element of intent elevates it far above comparison with the cost of the time it takes to take a shit.

I too would be gratified to see Mr. Metcalfe endure the consequences for his criminal choices.  He is a scammer in meatspace.  Do we love scammers?  I don't.  If his career is damaged, it will be because of his choices, and not because we are lame for ratting him out.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 09:43:03 PM

It pisses me off because it hits close to home. I've had problems with employee theft in the past, so it really grinds my gears.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
tonto

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 09:47:16 PM

Yes, this was where the line was drawn for most people, including myself. Steal company's time < steal company's electricity <<< outright stealing physical hardware and reselling it.

Yet you equate the three tonto. What? That doesn't make sense to anyone except you.

I equate theft as theft.  Do I do it?  Yes I often do personal things on company time.  They could fire me for it.  They probably won't (although it would likely be brought up as an excuse if they ever did want to fire me ,or would add it on to the list of offenses).  But I won't beat around the bush and say I don't steal.  Because it is what it is.

It's obvious that I'm wrong here, so I'll bow out of the discussion.  I've said what I wanted to say, and we'll disagree on some things. Smiley
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 10:01:47 PM

I equate theft as theft.  Do I do it?  Yes I often do personal things on company time.  They could fire me for it.  They probably won't (although it would likely be brought up as an excuse if they ever did want to fire me ,or would add it on to the list of offenses).  But I won't beat around the bush and say I don't steal.  Because it is what it is.

It's obvious that I'm wrong here, so I'll bow out of the discussion.  I've said what I wanted to say, and we'll disagree on some things. Smiley

It's one thing to answer your cell phone when it rings, quite another to openly admit you casually misappropriate resources from your employer frequently enough that even you consider it theft.

A reasonable benchmark for how much "personal" stuff you should feel free to do on paid company time (like shitting) is no more than 30 minutes in an 8 hour day.  That's equivalent to fifteen minutes before your meal break and fifteen minutes afterward.  Anything less than that should not be considered stealing.  Anything significantly more, and you may as well be named Daniel Metcalfe.

Otherwise, the leap in logic is as ridiculous as suggesting you may as well molest toddlers if, after having slept with your 16 year old girlfriend at age 18, you've already crossed the line anyway.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1651
Merit: 1284

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 11:51:20 PM

Otherwise, the leap in logic is as ridiculous as suggesting you may as well molest toddlers if, after having slept with your 16 year old girlfriend at age 18, you've already crossed the line anyway.

+1

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 12:08:34 AM

Pot. Kettle. Black.
+1 That's what crossed my personal morality lines.
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 12:49:23 AM

I agree with you tonto, for what its worth.
Zoomer

Activity: 658

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 04:50:48 AM

I'm willing to bet that everyone in this thread has "stolen" company resources.  Ever gone to the bathroom outside your allotted break?  That's theft of time.  Used a company phone to make a personal phone call?  Theft of time.  Talk to your coworkers about the NCAA tournament? Read Facebook at work when it's not your job to do so?  Used a sticky note to jot down something that you forgot about to do at home?

Ever heard of being salaried?
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 07:17:05 PM

Pot. Kettle. Black.

What I missed is the part where there was tangible proof he stole anything.  I'm not saying he didn't do it, nor am I saying he did. 

People lie all.the.fucking.time.

So, the members of this forum have potentially messed this guy's life up on hearsay.  Sounds legit [/s]
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 07:21:18 PM

Pot. Kettle. Black.

What I missed is the part where there was tangible proof he stole anything.  I'm not saying he didn't do it, nor am I saying he did. 

So, the members of this forum have potentially messed this guy's life up on hearsay.  Sounds legit [/s]

He bragged about it.  If he thinks stealing shit makes him cool, he deserves what he got, even if he didn't really do it.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 07:22:01 PM

I posted this thread to Facebook

A friend of mine posted this in that thread

"Hi Don, hope this is your real address, thank you for bringing this to our attention, it has turned out to be true and Daniel has admitted these crimes.

The matter is being dealt with by our HR Manager Julie Beckett.

Best Regards
Michael Boardman
IT Manager & SAP Administrator
Weston EU Ltd"
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 06:43:25 PM

So, the members of this forum have potentially messed this guy's life up on hearsay.  Sounds legit [/s]

I posted this thread to Facebook

A friend of mine posted this in that thread

"Hi Don, hope this is your real address, thank you for bringing this to our attention, it has turned out to be true and Daniel has admitted these crimes.

The matter is being dealt with by our HR Manager Julie Beckett.

Best Regards
Michael Boardman
IT Manager & SAP Administrator
Weston EU Ltd"

That's a pretty ambiguous e-mail. 
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2012, 06:47:49 PM

That's a pretty ambiguous e-mail.  

I thought so too but didn't care:  I am not relying on the quoted e-mail for any factual information that will cause me heartburn if it's fake.  All I got was a sense of satisfaction that karma probably caught up with that guy, which was probably already the case even in the total absence of a response.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: