Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:19:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Documentary!  (Read 3324 times)
neilausburn (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 03:45:14 PM

Hello,

I'm working on a documentary about private currency as it relates to contemporary geopolitical issues. I've interviewed Donald Norman from Intersango and I have a few more interviews scheduled. I'm writing this post to get the word out about this trailer I've made for the film:

http://youtu.be/ZGnqi_rUoSs

What do you think about my argument that the U.S. Military's primary objective is to keep the Dollar strong? Do you think if oil wasn't priced in dollars we would see the dollar lose its world reserve status? What correlation, if any, do you see in the dollar losing its world reserve status and a reduction in the standard of living of Americans? Do you think Bitcoin and its frictionless promise can offset this loss in standard of living?   

Neil

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 06:13:46 PM

Link to the Kickstarter page?

Any reason you couldn't also list it in http://PirateMyFilm.com?

The http://PrivateMoneyMovie.com website shows a bitcoin address for donations as well.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

matonis

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 06:22:20 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2012, 06:39:54 PM by matonis

Any reason you couldn't also list it in http://PirateMyFilm.com?

The http://PrivateMoneyMovie.com website shows a bitcoin address for donations as well.

Yes just saw it on PMF http://www.piratemyfilm.com/projects/346
I just sent a link to Max Keiser also. The OP should follow up directly to promote; Max is on Twitter.

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
matonis

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 06:43:26 PM

Neil, what is your email address please?

I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
RaggedMonk

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 06:49:49 PM

I would recommend re-recording this video.  You are    speaking    slowly   with    long    pauses    between     words.  The words are good though.  Get energetic, and practice your speech 10x, and you will seem much more confident and capable. 
neilausburn (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 11:50:00 PM

Hey,

My email is neil at privatemoneymovie dot com

I plan on making a new much shorter trailer for the doc.

I'm thinking of presenting the logistics and the potentiality of private currency to my local chamber of commerce. Has anyone done anything like this before? If we can get one city on earth using private currency as a serious alternative I think this would be a major step in the right direction.

Neil
draco49

Activity: 24

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 02:17:33 AM

Bitcoin is not a "private currency" and should not be referred to as such.  Quite the opposite, Bitcoin is completely public and transparent.  I realize that you may be using the term in contrast to traditional fiat currencies.  However, I think it's important to make clear that Bitcoin is a completely decentralized, peer-to-peer, open-source transaction system.  Just my two Satoshis...
neilausburn (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 02:52:49 AM

Bitcoin is not a "private currency" and should not be referred to as such.  Quite the opposite, Bitcoin is completely public and transparent.  I realize that you may be using the term in contrast to traditional fiat currencies.  However, I think it's important to make clear that Bitcoin is a completely decentralized, peer-to-peer, open-source transaction system.  Just my two Satoshis...

Maybe you should update the wikipedia article on private currency. Here is an excerpt:

In the United States, the Free Banking Era lasted between 1837 and 1866, when almost anyone could issue paper money. While there are more restrictions today than in this era, it is still legal to create your own currencies.[dubious – discuss] States, municipalities, private banks, railroad and construction companies, stores, restaurants, churches and individuals printed an estimated 8,000 different monies by 1860 and can still do so today (such as Bitcoin). If an issuer went bankrupt, closed, left town, or otherwise went out of business the note would be worthless. Such organizations earned the nickname of "wildcat banks" for a reputation of unreliability; they were often situated in remote, unpopulated locales said to be inhabited more by wildcats than by people. Yet according to Lawrence H. White's article in The Freeman, "it turns out that 'wildcat' banking is largely a myth. Although stories about crooked banking practices are entertaining—and for that reason have been repeated endlessly by textbooks—modern economic historians have found that there were in fact very few banks that fit any reasonable definition of wildcat bank".[1] The National Bank Act of 1863 ended the "wildcat bank" period.

TizzyTazzy

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 03:43:16 AM

Good luck with your ventures!  Cheesy

I'm hoping people will see the potential in BTC one day.

Zhou Tonged

Activity: 30

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 04:27:35 AM

Make sure to include how many people got Zhou Tonged!!!
draco49

Activity: 24

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 05:54:18 AM

Maybe you should update the wikipedia article on private currency. Here is an excerpt:

In the United States, the Free Banking Era lasted between 1837 and 1866, when almost anyone could issue paper money. While there are more restrictions today than in this era, it is still legal to create your own currencies.[dubious – discuss] States, municipalities, private banks, railroad and construction companies, stores, restaurants, churches and individuals printed an estimated 8,000 different monies by 1860 and can still do so today (such as Bitcoin). If an issuer went bankrupt, closed, left town, or otherwise went out of business the note would be worthless. Such organizations earned the nickname of "wildcat banks" for a reputation of unreliability; they were often situated in remote, unpopulated locales said to be inhabited more by wildcats than by people. Yet according to Lawrence H. White's article in The Freeman, "it turns out that 'wildcat' banking is largely a myth. Although stories about crooked banking practices are entertaining—and for that reason have been repeated endlessly by textbooks—modern economic historians have found that there were in fact very few banks that fit any reasonable definition of wildcat bank".[1] The National Bank Act of 1863 ended the "wildcat bank" period.

Thanks for this information.  I'll look into.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 09:03:47 AM

Watchin'

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 09:41:35 AM

Zhou Tong himself got ZhouTonged. For realzzzzzz!
matonis

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 09:56:45 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2012, 10:11:37 AM by matonis

Bitcoin is not a "private currency" and should not be referred to as such.  Quite the opposite, Bitcoin is completely public and transparent.  I realize that you may be using the term in contrast to traditional fiat currencies.  However, I think it's important to make clear that Bitcoin is a completely decentralized, peer-to-peer, open-source transaction system.  Just my two Satoshis...

This is a good point. "Private money" or "private currency" is usually used to refer to nonpolitical (or non nation-State) issuers, such as Liberty Dollar, e-gold, FB Credits, or Linden Dollars. Bitcoin is private in the sense that it is non-governmental; however, bitcoin is very public in the sense that all transactions are published and that the nodes are collectively managed. It is the ultimate non-Statist public currency.

Definitions are important. Digital currency is a very broad term that refers to issuers, national and private, that operate electronically, with digital cash being a specific subset having privacy attributes more like physical cash. More recently, the term cryptocurrency has come to mean a digital bearer instrument that utilizes cryptography exclusively for its issuance and/or verification. For further information, please see http://digitalcash.org

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 10:05:34 AM

Zhou Tong himself got ZhouTonged. For realzzzzzz!

Only an idiot who doesn't know how to use Bitcoinica would come on here with a name like "Zhou Tonged" and keep talking about it.

Some people are such sore losers.

matonis

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 10:37:48 AM

Neil, at the 1:04 mark in your video, you talk about examining the evolution and history of State-dominated money and I thought you might find the following of interest.

Previously, I set out to answer the question: "How did the State specifically go about appropriating the monetary unit for their own use?" which resulted in my thesis at George Washington University: The Political Appropriation of the Monetary Unit at http://www.slideshare.net/jonmatonis/the-political-appropriation-of-the-monetary-unit

casio

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 01:37:53 PM

correlation? check gold historical price against gold.
check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 07:51:52 PM

[PA]You know, Bitcointalk is not Twitter, so please stop using shortened addresses that hide the real addresses.

It has been the goal of the extremely wealthy to have a true global currency since at least the early 1900's, unfortunately that hasn't been possible until more recent times. Bitcoin might be that vehicle, at least for the digital world for now, but eventually it may become a true global currency.

Fascinating fact: A Rockefeller consulted a well known psychic on instituting a global currency in the 30's but was told it would not be possible until at least 1994.

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 10:57:11 PM

extremely wealthy to have a true global currency since at least the early 1900's

I doubt a decentralized Bitcoin was what they had in mind.  Hard to extract an advantage (read interchange fees / payment network fees) when you are competing with a (nearly) free alternative, especially one that is not debt-based.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 11:19:48 AM

Awesome!

question: is this project funded via pmf or kickstart or both?

did you select "bitcoin" or "usd" for funding on pmf?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: