Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:42:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain wallet - can't find wallet.dat file  (Read 2702 times)
Gogo ppp (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 01:38:01 PM

Set up Blockchain wallet today on laptop.

Just spent an hour searching all over computer for my wallet.dat file.

I did the RUN and then explorer %APPDATA%\Bitcoin  - nothing.

Control Panel - show hidden/protected files - APPDATA - Roaming - there is no file pertaining to Bitcoin/Blockchain.

Nothing found searching for wallet.dat

Looked all over the Users/ (my user name) files, nothing pertaining to Bitcoin/Blockchain.

C:\Users\MyUserName\Appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin  - but there is NO Bitcoin folder in Roaming.

I can log into the account online. But want to know where the wallet.dat file is.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 01:54:47 PM

Control Panel - show hidden/protected files - APPDATA - Roaming - there is no file pertaining to Bitcoin/Blockchain.

Looked all over the Users/ (my user name) files, nothing pertaining to Bitcoin/Blockchain.

C:\Users\MyUserName\Appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin  - but there is NO Bitcoin folder in Roaming.

I can log into the account online. But want to know where the wallet.dat file is.

Blockchain.info doesn't have a wallet.dat file.

Blockchain.info is a hybrid wallet.  They store the wallet data in encrypted form on their servers.

You can get a copy of the wallet info sent to you.  The website has options for sending an encrypted copy of the backup to:
  • Dropbox
  • Google Drive
  • Email
  • Download to your computer

These files will be named "wallet.aes.json" (not wallet.dat).

They also have an option to print the wallet data unencrypted to paper.

zhinkk

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 08:46:10 PM

I don't want to sound offensive, but why would an online service like blockchain (which uses javascript and other web technologies) download a wallet.dat file into your APPDATA folders? If it was a java based wallet I could see your reasoning, because a lot of java games/websites download temporary files to your desktop (runescape comes to mind). But as the user above me posted, you'll have to download a backup. Sorry if I sounded mean, didn't mean to. Smiley
Gogo ppp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 07:42:32 AM
Last edit: July 04, 2014, 08:01:50 AM by Gogo ppp

C:\Users\MyUserName\Appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin  - but there is NO Bitcoin folder in Roaming.

Blockchain.info doesn't have a wallet.dat file.

Blockchain.info is a hybrid wallet.  They store the wallet data in encrypted form on their servers.

You can get a copy of the wallet info sent to you.  The website has options for sending an encrypted copy of the backup to:
  • Dropbox
  • Google Drive
  • Email
  • Download to your computer

These files will be named "wallet.aes.json" (not wallet.dat).

They also have an option to print the wallet data unencrypted to paper.

Thanks for the explanation. Appreciate it.

Now that I understand that:

I can make more than 1 wallet with blockchain I assume.

So I can have 1 and use it strictly for cold storage, and have a 2nd one and use it for moving btc in and out.
Correct?

Would that be the best way to do this - as opposed to having one wallet and working out a method of removing and cold storing some coins and leaving the rest in the wallet? (If that is even possible).

burekzastonj

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 09:07:24 AM

With blockchain.info you can make more than one wallet yes and you can manage them as you want, but you will never find wallet.dat there, and with blockchain.info wallet you don't need bitcoin core or any othere data.
Gogo ppp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 05:57:56 AM

I set up a Blockchain wallet, and sent 1.00 btc to myself from another location.

There is a link in blue at the bottom right of the page which says  "Show scripts & coinbase".

What is that referring to?
Are they referring to the exchange "Coinbase.com"?
Gogo ppp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 06:12:45 AM
Last edit: July 10, 2014, 10:07:56 AM by Gogo ppp

When I sent 1.00 btc to my Blockchain wallet from another source, the Blockchain wallet said in red "Unconfirmed Transaction!"

Now if I click on that, it shows:

" Sent Time
2014-07-10 [gives the time]  (+24 minutes to confirm)
Confirmations
1 Confirmations"

How many confirmations does it take before Blockchain considers it a Confirmed Transaction?

I assume that I can't use or send out the 1.00 btc until Blockchain labels it a Confirmed Transaction?

EDIT - I made a deposit to my Coinbase wallet from another source, and it is currently showing 13 Confirmations, yet it still says in red "Unconfirmed Transaction!".

Why is this? I've been reading online since I posted the above, and I got the impression that 6 Confirmations make it Confirmed (generally).
It's been 1 hour and 9 minutes so far.

Also - Is the "Unconfirmed Transaction" warning in red for my benefit, to protect me?
In this case, I sent coins from one wallet of mine to my Blockchain.info wallet.
So would I have been able to send those coins to a 3rd party as soon as they arrived (as I know they are real), or does my Blockchain.info wallet not allow them to be sent out until the "Unconfirmed Transaction" warning is removed?
Gogo ppp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:45:23 AM

I don't want to sound offensive, but why would an online service like blockchain (which uses javascript and other web technologies) download a wallet.dat file into your APPDATA folders?...

I have no idea why they would - all of you understand the tech aspects better than me.

But as far as why I was looking for it - it's because of this:

"Where is my wallet.dat file?

In Windows, go to Start -> Run (or press WinKey+R) and run this: explorer %APPDATA%\Bitcoin

In Mac, open Finder -> Press [shift] + [cmd] + [g] and enter ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/

In Linux, the file will be located in ~/.bitcoin/"

https://blockchain.info/wallet/wallet-faq#

So a better question may be - Why does blockchain give that info as to where to find the wallet.dat file, if they don't use one?

(Incidentally - a big surprise was reading the current info on blockchain.info, and finding that they mention Mt. Gox as one example of an exchange people can use. Nobody there has bothered to change that info. !!!???).
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1823
Merit: 2793

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 10:04:29 AM

I don't want to sound offensive, but why would an online service like blockchain (which uses javascript and other web technologies) download a wallet.dat file into your APPDATA folders?...

I have no idea why they would - all of you understand the tech aspects better than me.

In Windows, go to Start -> Run (or press WinKey+R) and run this: explorer %APPDATA%\Bitcoin

In Mac, open Finder -> Press [shift] + [cmd] + [g] and enter ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/

So a better question may be - Why does blockchain give that info as to where to find the wallet.dat file, if they don't use one?

(Incidentally - a big surprise was reading the current info on blockchain.info, and finding that they mention Mt. Gox as one example of an exchange people can use. Nobody there has bothered to change that info. !!!???).

This is probably why they give you information on where to find a wallet.dat file:

(the question right before 'Where is my wallet.dat file?')
How to import a Bitcoin-Qt wallet?
Please go to https://blockchain.info/wallet/import-wallet, and locate your wallet.dat file. Drag your wallet file into the area provided, and follow the instructions given.

I would also note that in your prior comment about the blockchain (or any online wallet) as being "cold storage", cold storage would be storing coins offline:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Cold_storage

Gogo ppp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:10:34 AM

This is probably why they give you information on where to find a wallet.dat file:

(the question right before 'Where is my wallet.dat file?')
How to import a Bitcoin-Qt wallet?
Please go to https://blockchain.info/wallet/import-wallet, and locate your wallet.dat file. Drag your wallet file into the area provided, and follow the instructions given.

I would also note that in your prior comment about the blockchain (or any online wallet) as being "cold storage", cold storage would be storing coins offline:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Cold_storage

Thanks for your responses.
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:18:18 AM

When I sent 1.00 btc to my Blockchain wallet from another source, the Blockchain wallet said in red "Unconfirmed Transaction!"

Now if I click on that, it shows:

" Sent Time
2014-07-10 [gives the time]  (+24 minutes to confirm)
Confirmations
1 Confirmations"

How many confirmations does it take before Blockchain considers it a Confirmed Transaction?

I assume that I can't use or send out the 1.00 btc until Blockchain labels it a Confirmed Transaction?

EDIT - I made a deposit to my Coinbase wallet from another source, and it is currently showing 13 Confirmations, yet it still says in red "Unconfirmed Transaction!".

Why is this? I've been reading online since I posted the above, and I got the impression that 6 Confirmations make it Confirmed (generally).
It's been 1 hour and 9 minutes so far.

Also - Is the "Unconfirmed Transaction" warning in red for my benefit, to protect me?
In this case, I sent coins from one wallet of mine to my Blockchain.info wallet.
So would I have been able to send those coins to a 3rd party as soon as they arrived (as I know they are real), or does my Blockchain.info wallet not allow them to be sent out until the "Unconfirmed Transaction" warning is removed?

That reffers to using a bitcoin wallet not a block chain wallet. Bitcoin wallets tend to be bitcoin core where everything's storedon your computer online wallets or in this case bblock chain wallet is all stored by them on there side.

I think most of the site is Java based so that's probably why.

Don't forget blockchain.info isn't some massive rich development team its less that a hand full of people doing it for fun.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: