Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:35:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you really earn more money because you went to college?  (Read 12994 times)
roxannemmorganB599

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 12:59:59 PM

Of course it does. Knowledge = money. And college is the easiest way to learn knowledge and get some good connections. You can use later in finding jobs or creating a business.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
silvercane

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 01:07:22 PM

STEP 1: GO TO COLLEGE
STEP 2: DROP OUT

Most successful people dropped out of college. Notice the word "dropped out". This is different from having never attended. Bill Gates (Microsoft), Steve Jobs (Apple), Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook), Richard Branson* (Virgin), Michael Dell (Dell), Larry Ellison (Oracle), Larry Page and Sergey Brin* (Google), Sean Parker (Napster and the first President of Facebook), the guy who made CNN, the list goes on...

Got a computer? Chances are, it's running either Windows (Gates) or OS X (Jobs). Got a phone? It's probably either an iPhone (Jobs), a Windows phone (Gates), or an Android phone (Page/Brin). Want to look something up? You'll probably either use Google (Page/Brin) or Bing (Gates).

*Technically, Branson was a high school dropout and the guys from Google dropped out of their postgrad programs but you get the idea.

EDIT: Elon Musk (Tesla) also dropped out of his postgrad:

Quote from: Wikipedia
He moved to California to pursue a PhD in applied physics at Stanford but left the program after two days to pursue his entrepreneurial aspirations in the areas of the Internet, renewable energy and outer space.

EDIT 2: The Ethereum guy, another dropout:

So what’s his background? Buterin attended college for a year -- and then left due to Bitcoin opportunities. "I don’t regret it," he said. "Look at what I’m doing now."

So the message seems to be that in order to be successful, generally you need to go to college (well, except Branson). But if there is one common thread that unites the most successful people of the world, then it is the fact that they proceeded to drop out of college in order to follow their dreams and aspirations.

Not to mention college dropouts are over-represented among list of the billionaires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_dropout_billionaires

The average net worth of billionaires who dropped out of college, $9.4 billion, is approximately triple that of billionaires with Ph.D.s, $3.2 billion. Even if one removes Bill Gates, who left Harvard University and is now worth $66.0 billion, college dropouts are worth $5.3 billion on average, compared to those who finished only bachelor's degrees, who are worth $2.9 billion.

Very interesting
I knew about jobs dropping out only because of the movie (lol) but I had no idea that most of these people dropped out of college
bitcoinforhelp

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 03:35:16 PM

There is corelation between education and earnings, but mainly its how you do in business
acsalles

Activity: 343
Merit: 11

Rangers.Protocol

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 03:36:44 PM

Answer is YES, Sure

|   Facebook   |     Twitter     |                    R A N G E R S                    |    Discord    |    Medium    |
|    Telegram    |                    ─────     PROTOCOL     ─────                    |    Gitbook    |
████  ███  ██  █          VIRTUAL WORLDS BLOCKCHAIN INFRASTRUCTURE          █  ██  ███  ████
boumalo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2014, 04:32:13 PM

There is corelation between education and earnings, but mainly its how you do in business

Earnings are higher for educated people but if you factor in the fact that educated people are smarter, more connected before going into college, hungrier for success and the cost of college do you really earn more money because you went to college?

CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 08:56:57 PM

no, because of college i tried weed and it messed up my brain.  now i can't get a job (disabled).

Disabled from smoking weed -- haha, funny joke. Tongue

But seriously, I tell you, the key to life is bullshitting people. Trying to pad your resume without the experience will only get you so far. It takes more than a degree, but it can help you get your foot in the door, certainly.

TrailingComet

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 09:04:05 PM

unequivocally no
skill sets and degrees are not necessarily correlated
Great article by Reid Hoffman given below

http://reidhoffman.org/disrupting-the-diploma/

bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 09:07:01 PM

no, because of college i tried weed and it messed up my brain.  now i can't get a job (disabled).

Jesus will cure you. Just accept Jesus into your heart. (Not the mexican jesus, the 'MURICAN Jesus)

Newbiemon

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 05:09:11 AM

Well IMO, it depends on the individual itself, for example if one have a diploma but doesn't have a drive or eagerness to succeed then i think he would likely to fail in his/her endeavor.

CoinsCoinsEverywhere

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 09:49:09 AM

It depends a lot on what field you eventually go into and what you make of your college experience.  Some jobs, like engineering, require a college education so you at least know the basics.  But there are a lot of areas that don't require a college diploma to do well.
bitmarket.io
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 09:51:34 AM

college is for the brain dead
bitgeek

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 01:03:35 PM

I went and had trouble getting a decent job. I know people who didn't go and have nice, well paid jobs. My current job has nothing to do with my education, so don't go if you don't want to Smiley

███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████

Online.BTC.Bingo

.*500%.CASH.BACK.+.INSTANT.BONUS
..PROGRESSIVE.JACKPOT
..NO-DOWNLOAD.CLIENT

EPIC.FUN.
Katarina

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 02:26:15 PM

The money spend on college would be better spend on business or investment instead.
ShibaWow

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 02:31:24 PM

The money spend on college would be better spend on business or investment instead.

for example investing in bitcoin Cheesy

if the money spent on collages was spent on bitcoin 4-5 years ago

you would be a millionaire Cheesy

argovian

Activity: 64

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 02:44:55 PM

When I graduated High School ('97) my parents immediately pushed me into College. I hated it and felt I could make more money by not going, so I skipped classes and eventually dropped out.

After working several unfulfilling hourly jobs, (Dell Phone Support, PC Tech @ Local Shop, Pharmacy Tech, Helpdesk Manager for a Subprime Lender) I realized I had peaked and wasn't going to be increasing my earnings any more. (I was in my early 20's at that point). None of the director's/execs & the Lender took me seriously or considered me anything more than a phone monkey.

At first I decided I would fill my wall with Tech Certifications, A+, and MCSE. But even when openings in the network support team came open, I was passed over for transfer/promotion.

So I decided to go back to school at night. It took me another 5 years of night school to finish my bachelors. Luckily for me the Lender offered Tuition reimbursement so I only came out with ~$10k in student Loans. As When I was within 1 semester of getting my diploma I told my boss & his boss that I wanted to move into Project Management or into the Software Development team. (I was getting a BS in Computer Science).

They nodded (as they always did) and I kept plugging along working on my Diploma. When I finally got it Dec 2007 nearly 10 years after I had started this process, I told my bosses they needed to get the wheels moving. (I knew the software dept had openings as some of my friends worked there).

I also started interviewing for entry level Software Dev. jobs with other Friend's companies. When I got my offer from my current employer my salary was instantly raised ~$20k.
After switching companies and working for my new firm for the last 6 years now, I've more than doubled my salary.

Would I have gotten the job or advancement without my degree? I seriously doubt it.
Do I use what I learned from College? Maybe once in a blue moon.

I think that the degree shows people that you:
A.) Have the ability to learn
B.) Can focus on objectives to complete complex tasks.

I don't think that people need to take all the BS classes colleges force down your throat. Like all the Literature classes they forced me to take, Physical Wellness Classes, or Art Appreciation. I mean seriously by the time you get to college, if you don't know that eating junk food all day and sitting at a computer makes you fat, you got other issues. Smiley

zhinkk

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 05:48:41 PM

STEP 1: GO TO COLLEGE
STEP 2: DROP OUT

Most successful people dropped out of college. Notice the word "dropped out". This is different from having never attended. Bill Gates (Microsoft), Steve Jobs (Apple), Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook), Richard Branson* (Virgin), Michael Dell (Dell), Larry Ellison (Oracle), Larry Page and Sergey Brin* (Google), Sean Parker (Napster and the first President of Facebook), the guy who made CNN, the list goes on...

Got a computer? Chances are, it's running either Windows (Gates) or OS X (Jobs). Got a phone? It's probably either an iPhone (Jobs), a Windows phone (Gates), or an Android phone (Page/Brin). Want to look something up? You'll probably either use Google (Page/Brin) or Bing (Gates).

*Technically, Branson was a high school dropout and the guys from Google dropped out of their postgrad programs but you get the idea.

EDIT: Elon Musk (Tesla) also dropped out of his postgrad:

He moved to California to pursue a PhD in applied physics at Stanford but left the program after two days to pursue his entrepreneurial aspirations in the areas of the Internet, renewable energy and outer space.

EDIT 2: The Ethereum guy, another dropout:

So what’s his background? Buterin attended college for a year -- and then left due to Bitcoin opportunities. "I don’t regret it," he said. "Look at what I’m doing now."

So the message seems to be that in order to be successful, generally you need to go to college (well, except Branson). But if there is one common thread that unites the most successful people of the world, then it is the fact that they proceeded to drop out of college in order to follow their dreams and aspirations.

Not to mention college dropouts are over-represented among list of the billionaires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_dropout_billionaires

The average net worth of billionaires who dropped out of college, $9.4 billion, is approximately triple that of billionaires with Ph.D.s, $3.2 billion. Even if one removes Bill Gates, who left Harvard University and is now worth $66.0 billion, college dropouts are worth $5.3 billion on average, compared to those who finished only bachelor's degrees, who are worth $2.9 billion.

I can't tell if you're serious. Yes, the dropped out. But they were also very intelligent and had a great idea that became very successful. What about the thousands of people who dropped out and are living a shitty life right now? But I'm going to take your post as a joke and move on.
josephliton

Activity: 644

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 05:57:34 PM

People that go to college are in average brighter, harder working, more ambitious and for more affluante families and they are meant to make more money (as a group) than people that don't go to college

If you factor in the cost of going to college will you really make more money because of the diploma you will get?

Support : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbUFBk3477o (few minutes video debating the subject)

High school drop outs: $18,734
    High school graduates: $27,915
    College grads (with a bachelor’s degree): $51,206
    Advanced degree holders: $74,602

blitzcrank

Activity: 55

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 06:53:51 PM

No, unfortunately here in Mexico it is more profitable selling Tacos than performing studies...

Damn thats a lot of tacos to sell. The only way out of that be a franchise model within mexico similar to So Cal of "Kings Taco".

Chiptole is eating that market though, so not sure lol.

atc1

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:00:20 PM

If you're absolutely sure that you want to go into the field you're studying,yes. If you're still floundering about with the idea of your career,then no. And only specialized science degrees count,not if you do English Lit or Pol Science.

blitzcrank

Activity: 55

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:02:48 PM

People that go to college are in average brighter, harder working, more ambitious and for more affluante families and they are meant to make more money (as a group) than people that don't go to college

If you factor in the cost of going to college will you really make more money because of the diploma you will get?

Support : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbUFBk3477o (few minutes video debating the subject)

High school drop outs: $18,734
    High school graduates: $27,915
    College grads (with a bachelor’s degree): $51,206
    Advanced degree holders: $74,602

I know this can be debated depending on the college tuition of going to that particular college.

But whats the average college debt for a student. $23,000? hopefully to pay it off within in a year? this is outside from other personal debts of course, with living costs. If you think $23,000 is small money you have no idea then. Plus I forgot the interest thats added.

And thats if you get a job right.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: