Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:52:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you really earn more money because you went to college?  (Read 12994 times)
Initscri

Activity: 1540
Merit: 759

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 01:51:02 AM

I usually go to meetups for Computer Programming.
Most participants usually have some of app they are working on.

There were two ladies who had just gotten out of University around 1-2 years ago. The university they mentioned is actually a prestigious university within our area. They were new to the meetup.
I asked them what they were working on. One of them said an App that a colleague of hers had partnered with her to create.

She began explaining the app, to which I replied with questions about how she was going to produce the backend (database solutions, MySQL) and if she was going to use some sort of RESTful api to store data to the database.

She had absolutely no clue what I was talking about; and didn't know what MySQL was.

I'm not trying to say that she was clueless; nor that University didn't give them the skills to complete projects ( although they admitted they need to learn a lot more ). However, what I'm trying to imply is that University gets you an easier ability to sit in a chair in front of the HR or person hiring you. What you say and how well you perform is what gets you the money.

For drop-outs and people who are self-taught like myself, we can land a job, but it's harder to get that initial seating due to misconceptions and ignorance within the HR workforce today. However, I've found many self-taught individuals who can perform at the same level as University graduates; if not higher. It all depends on the person though.

Well... rarely you will see a programmer that doesn't have a diploma, I'm no exception.
The point is that only study doesn't gives you a excellent job, but what you do and your ideas is what makes you go further in your career. Unless you're academic and want to be the bst teacher of something, then studying is the only true way.

This is starting to change. I've seen more and more diploma-less programmers. Most of them make the point (including myself), that they didn't get into programming to get a job... they did it to create a business / create something.

----------------------------------
Web Developer. PM for details.
----------------------------------
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oprahwindfury

Activity: 562
Merit: 108

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 09:38:37 AM

There were two ladies who had just gotten out of University around 1-2 years ago. The university they mentioned is actually a prestigious university within our area. They were new to the meetup.
I asked them what they were working on. One of them said an App that a colleague of hers had partnered with her to create.

She began explaining the app, to which I replied with questions about how she was going to produce the backend (database solutions, MySQL) and if she was going to use some sort of RESTful api to store data to the database.

She had absolutely no clue what I was talking about; and didn't know what MySQL was.

I'm not trying to say that she was clueless; nor that University didn't give them the skills to complete projects ( although they admitted they need to learn a lot more ). However, what I'm trying to imply is that University gets you an easier ability to sit in a chair in front of the HR or person hiring you. What you say and how well you perform is what gets you the money.

For drop-outs and people who are self-taught like myself, we can land a job, but it's harder to get that initial seating due to misconceptions and ignorance within the HR workforce today. However, I've found many self-taught individuals who can perform at the same level as University graduates; if not higher. It all depends on the person though.

Well... rarely you will see a programmer that doesn't have a diploma, I'm no exception.
The point is that only study doesn't gives you a excellent job, but what you do and your ideas is what makes you go further in your career. Unless you're academic and want to be the bst teacher of something, then studying is the only true way.

This is starting to change. I've seen more and more diploma-less programmers. Most of them make the point (including myself), that they didn't get into programming to get a job... they did it to create a business / create something.

While having a degree indeed helps you get your foot in the door to that interview, being skilled in your profession and showing the employer you can execute goes far beyond a college degree. My friend was a Psychology major out of University in Northern California. In his spare time he developed his coding and programming skills throughout his undergrad years. He pursued a job in the tech industry as a web developer in San Francisco. They hired him in the end over other qualified Comp Sci degree holders because he demonstrated he had the skill and ability to execute. Having experience trumps a degree tremendously in the Bay Area when it comes to job searching.

leex1528

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:07:18 PM

I would say you definitely earn more, but not right off the bat, you start so far in debt that it takes along time to climb your way out
GreedyBastard

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:18:26 PM

I would say you definitely earn more, but not right off the bat, you start so far in debt that it takes along time to climb your way out

theres been studies conducted and its shown because they were so far in debt they averaged out to be the same as someone without a college education who has been working their whole life.
leex1528

Activity: 784

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:22:28 PM

theres been studies conducted and its shown because they were so far in debt they averaged out to be the same as someone without a college education who has been working their whole life.

Links?  My thought would be College would eventually overpower, but not for 10-15 years, and at that point is it worthit?
MarisaFea

Activity: 29

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:42:03 PM

Links?  My thought would be College would eventually overpower, but not for 10-15 years, and at that point is it worthit?

guess it depends what age you are when you went to college? how effective it would be I would be interested in those links though
nsimmons

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 07:08:34 PM

There is a huge difference between learning the flavour of the month language, and the mathematics, design processes that the bulk of a computer science degree consists of.

An analogous situation is a mechanic and a mechanical engineer. Is the engineer stupid because he doesn't know the specific systems on a specific model of vehicle? I would argue the engineer would be able to eventually diagnose and fix a vehicle, while the mechanic would be at a complete loss at any but the most rudimentary design task.

They taught me pascal in high school, java was just being introduced when I went to university. I have experience with 16 bit intel asm. Imagine if my education focused solely on application of the current technologies.

poisenrang

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 07:35:30 PM

really depends what work you do later on hehe

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
boumalo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2015, 07:50:57 PM

really depends what work you do later on hehe

Yes but many college degrees are not worth tens of thousands of dollars and three or four years of your life.

D4C

Activity: 47

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 08:17:39 PM

Depends a lot in the situation of your country. Are you going to get in debt only for the job market to be so over saturated with college grads that you will end up flipping burgers? better to learn a trade
boumalo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2015, 10:38:31 AM

Up

erpbridge
Legendary

Activity: 954

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 11:00:59 AM

According to me the answer is yes but not in all cases. For example, you could have good programming skills and might not have gone to college. In that case you could still earn more with an idea or by building something. But overall on average its proven that going to college is what will give you the edge. Companies don't hire people who have not been to a college. Even going to a college adds to your resume.
hf100

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 10:09:37 PM

According to me the answer is yes but not in all cases. For example, you could have good programming skills and might not have gone to college. In that case you could still earn more with an idea or by building something. But overall on average its proven that going to college is what will give you the edge. Companies don't hire people who have not been to a college. Even going to a college adds to your resume.

Sometimes a tradesman earns more than a university professor. I have known plumbers who earn more.

LISK    Develop Decentralized Applications & Sidechains in JavaScript with Lisk!
boumalo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 09:52:53 AM

It is falsely proven by researches done for universities, in universities research facilities by university professors that have done a lot of studies themselves.

They rarely compared smart connected and driven individuals that don't go to college with smart connected and driven individuals that went to college. They never take into account that the system is biais towards people that didn't go to college and you have to go to college to practice some good paying jobs.

If you look at the return on investment for college degrees that you don't need to practice a job, the return is highly negative in the US.

yummyransom

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2015, 11:22:19 PM

I attended college since i was somehow forced to do it, it was expected from me to do it and i did it. I think if i had free will i wouldn't attend, but now i'm happy i did. Somehow i see stuff different and i like the fact that i can get better job, but i'm still jobless Wink
Maybe you're a jobless because you're not looking for some jobs out there. But if you really want to have a job then use your good skills. Because working is not just something. Work really hard because you love your work not just because you have no choice.

football998

Activity: 73

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 01:52:05 PM

People that go to college are in average brighter, harder working, more ambitious and for more affluante families and they are meant to make more money (as a group) than people that don't go to college

If you factor in the cost of going to college will you really make more money because of the diploma you will get?

Support : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbUFBk3477o (few minutes video debating the subject)
I don't think people that go to college make more money .
 I have some my friends who don't go to college , they are very rich . They are richer than people that go to college

◕  INGOTCOIN  ◕    ██  Twitter  ██      ██  Telegram  ██  ◕  INGOTCOIN  ◕
████  BRIDGING MARKETS ███
██          AN ALL INCLUSIVE ECOSYSTEM          ██
donaltrump8

Activity: 142

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 02:11:41 PM

YES ! I think if you go to college , you will be definitely better than if you don't go to college .

You will have more opportunities and relationship when you graduate .
dipjon

Activity: 22

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 02:40:04 PM

education is not a significative, it depends on what you do and how you do it.
besides, if you are a fool in general, you cant make lots of money
meghansullivan

Activity: 21

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2017, 02:53:49 PM

if you really study hard then it will be helpful
in case you don't - no. maybe one day someone will ask you about diploma but if you know nothing about your speciality your diploma doesn't have any sense
rasmontalvo

Activity: 27

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 02:57:06 PM

now i work in a company that didn't ask my diploma. specification is not the same as i learned in college so my answer is NO
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: