Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:13:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Open and edit wallet.dat  (Read 1587 times)
Satosh¡ Slot (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2014, 02:20:19 AM

I've seen that it's possible to delete priv keys from wallet.dat with pywallet but I also would like to be able to clear local balance transfers between labels that bitcoind handles. Has anyone successfully did this?

The bitcoin wiki reveiles that: The data, index and log files are used by Oracle Berkeley DB, the embedded key/value data store that Bitcoin uses.

I'm trying to install the Berkley Database now but wondering if there actually anyone that managed to edit things freely in the wallet.dat file.

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 02:44:59 AM

Yeah, just install the correct version of BerkeleyDB utilities. Then do a backup, modify/delete the unnecessary lines from the backup file (which is a text file) and restore back.

Please remember to create DB_CONFIG file with "set_lg_dir database" in the appropriate directory.

Detail were discussed several time on this site, at least a year ago.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 03:17:17 AM

Depending on what you are looking to do pywallet may be useful.
Satosh¡ Slot (OP)

Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2014, 03:51:37 AM

Yeah, just install the correct version of BerkeleyDB utilities. Then do a backup, modify/delete the unnecessary lines from the backup file (which is a text file) and restore back.

Please remember to create DB_CONFIG file with "set_lg_dir database" in the appropriate directory.

Detail were discussed several time on this site, at least a year ago.

Thanks, but I'm stuck at this, I manage to open wallet.dat and print it out in a format that appears to be too hard to see what I should delete. I don't fully understand the system so I don't even know how I open the database correctly and dump/import correctly.

I only see giberish like  ‰¼E     W•r   in the text file that the backup creates.

EDIT: I can can do a proper text filel with db_dump, but I can still not see table names or anything like that.

Satosh¡ Slot (OP)

Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2014, 03:58:44 AM

I also don't understand how to be able to make sql queries to the database as I don't see any tables after loading wallet.dat. It just opens "main" db which I assume means that it didn't really open up wallet.dat at all.

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 07:09:11 AM

I also don't understand how to be able to make sql queries to the database as I don't see any tables after loading wallet.dat. It just opens "main" db which I assume means that it didn't really open up wallet.dat at all.
Ah, sorry. You'll need to hit the textbooks about databases. BerkeleyDB is a form of NonSQL database called key-value-store. If you are at that stage where "database" has to support "sql queries" then you are at least semester away from understanding what's inside. Older editions of C.J.Date's book have most of the relevant material about "non-relational databases".

Again, sorry.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Satosh¡ Slot (OP)

Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2014, 06:30:21 PM

Ah, sorry. You'll need to hit the textbooks about databases. BerkeleyDB is a form of NonSQL database called key-value-store. If you are at that stage where "database" has to support "sql queries" then you are at least semester away from understanding what's inside. Older editions of C.J.Date's book have most of the relevant material about "non-relational databases".

Again, sorry.

Sure but I opened the database with dbsql that came with the Berkeley installation and I googled people using sql queries with that one. There's even a command to list tables but it returned nohing. I'll go RTFM if there's not some easy tools that makes it easy. Thanks!

virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:13:07 PM

Again, sorry.

Sure but I opened the database with dbsql that came with the Berkeley installation and I googled people using sql queries with that one. There's even a command to list tables but it returned nohing. I'll go RTFM if there's not some easy tools that makes it easy. Thanks!

If it's NoSQL it's a little different from regular SQL.  NoSQL has another data storage model.  It varies based on database type. For example, key-value stores function similarly to SQL databases, but have only two columns ("key" and "value"), with more complex information sometimes stored within the "value" columns. Document databases do away with the table-and-row model altogether, storing all relevant data together in single "document" in JSON, XML, or another format, which can nest values hierarchically.

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌