Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:30:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I am proud to be a solipsist.  (Read 2609 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 05:45:08 AM

Is it not a virtue to perceive yourself and others as one and the same?

...or would it be preferable to treat people as external, manipulable objects?

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 05:48:16 AM

Is there a solipsist here, or is it just me?

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 05:48:40 AM

Here's Atlas, with another answer to a question no one asked.

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 05:56:12 AM

Is there a solipsist here, or is it just me?
You/I just like talking to yourself. There's nothing wrong with taking pleasure in it.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 07:49:07 AM

Here's Atlas, with another answer to a question no one asked.

Matthew, why do you respond to every inane thing he says? You lend him credence.

QFT.

Atlas has his good questions and his "Oh I am soo stoned and I'm having such biiiig thoughts" questions.  Best only deal with the good ones.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 08:00:23 AM

Mommy look at me!

Please!

You said I was special!

Why aren't you looking!

FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 08:07:19 AM

Atlas I can assure you that your mind is not the only thing in existence. I know it can feel like that sometimes, with trolls hounding you 24/7 over all the dumb naive shit you say, but trust me thats not the case.

If you ever want to stop talking to Internet trolls for a change how about you message me.

I feel for you buddy. You need a mentor not a bully.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 08:15:21 AM

Atlas I can assure you that your mind is not the only thing in existence. I know it can feel like that sometimes, with trolls hounding you 24/7 over all the dumb naive shit you say, but trust me thats not the case.

If you ever want to stop talking to Internet trolls for a change how about you message me.

No, he needs bullies. We've already tried the mentoring stuff and his response was "I don't need people to guide me. I am perfect and have no flaws. I do not need anyone's approval. I am me." or some bullshit.

He also said something like "I demand respect". He's not looking for a mentor Brian. He's looking for fanboys.

And it looks like he just found one! haha. Sucker.

For the record, he's been on this forum for more than a year now whining and threatening to kill himself.

I think it's time we gut him from the community.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 08:25:10 AM

No, he needs bullies. We've already tried the mentoring stuff and his response was "I don't need people to guide me. I am perfect and have no flaws. I do not need anyone's approval. I am me." or some bullshit.

He also said something like "I demand respect". He's not looking for a mentor Brian. He's looking for fanboys.

For the record, he's been on this forum for more than a year now whining and threatening to kill himself.

I think it's time we gut him from the community.
No! I need my daily LULZ!
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 08:25:17 AM

I do not respect him, since for me to respect someone, that individual must have accomplished something, and earned it from me.

Respect is earned not given.

I wholeheartedly feel bad for him, and I hate to see someone with so much potential play into the same vicious cycles that have consumed so many...
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 08:34:12 AM

I wholeheartedly feel bad for him, and I hate to see someone with so much potential play into the same vicious cycles that have consumed so many...

What about when he is the vicious cycle and you're being played?

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 03:30:18 PM

Why I am proud to be a solipsist

Someone learnt a new word today.
How cute.

Ditto! http://devernay.free.fr/paradoxlost/html/solipsist.html

Walter B. Jehovah, for whose name I make no apology since it really was his name, had been a solipsist all his life. A solipsist, in case you don’t happen to know the word, is one who believes that he himself is the only thing that really exists, that other people and the universe in general exist only in his imagination, and that if he quit imagining them, they would cease to exist.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 05:04:44 PM

I am simply skeptical. Nothing can be truly known except that you perceive and all that is perceived is simply perceptions. Beyond that, nothing can be proven to have intrinsic meaning except, again, that it can be perceived.

Solipsism is a cold hard truth that is so potent, that most people mark it as ridiculous from the start. It is much like when the concept of God came into question.

arsenische
Legendary

Activity: 1199

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 05:31:18 PM

I am simply skeptical. Nothing can be truly known except that you perceive and all that is perceived is simply perceptions. Beyond that, nothing can be proven to have intrinsic meaning except, again, that it can be perceived.

Solipsism is a cold hard truth that is so potent, that most people mark it as ridiculous from the start. It is much like when the concept of God came into question.

I am with you on this topic.

However... What is the difference between living in objective world and living in imaginary world? (and if there is no difference, then what are we talking about?)

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 05:34:12 PM

However... What is the difference between living in objective world and living in imaginary world? (and if there is no difference, then what are we talking about?)

Objectivity is simply realizing the boundaries of what can be known.

As for what is imaginary and how one should live, I'll leave that up to you.

arsenische
Legendary

Activity: 1199

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 05:41:26 PM

I always thought of objectivity as of something that exists independently of our mind.

I think everybody knows that there are false perceptions. What you say is that 100% of perceptions are quite possible to be false and the objective world is not what we perceive (perhaps, it might not exist at all).

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 05:48:19 PM

I always thought of objectivity as of something that exists independently of our mind.

I think everybody knows that there are false perceptions. What you say is that 100% of perceptions are quite possible to be false and the objective world is not what we perceive (perhaps, it might not exist at all).

Essentially.

All I am saying is that there is nothing independent of the mind and self. You are limited to one perception. To attempt to independently verify something will require you to merge within another perception. To do such, you either die or become one with another perception.

Either outcome proves nothing for you are either perceiving with additional phenomena  but still remain with your original self -- or you are dead. In the former case, you are still your original perception. Nothing is being independently verified.

As for the latter, death, that remains undefinable to me.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 05:53:21 PM

You cannot be a solipsist because I am!
nebulus

Activity: 490

... it only gets better...

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 06:13:33 PM

It's a way for you to bear the shame when you masturbate?

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 06:30:58 PM

You cannot be a solipsist because I am!
Assuming you are capable of perceiving, I can only remain a perception to you.

I am content with that as I am only capable of perceiving you.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: