Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:40:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S1 not hashing  (Read 3275 times)
shahadil (OP)

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 09:48:53 AM

hi guys need a little help. i have been using my antminer s1 since march. however, last night after a restart the miner just wouldnt start hashing. on closer inspection i have found that on the board there are a green and red light that come on once you start the miner. after 10 sec there is a light behind the ehternet port that comes on. it is this light that is not coming on. sometimes, after restarting the yellow and green light on the ethernet port work, sometimes they dont work. but the light behind the ehternet port has not been switching on at all. i have restarted more than 10 times, done a hard reset, plugged out all the cables and inserted them again, cleaned out any dust that may have settled. but this light does not seem to turn on. the green light on both the hashing boards are not on as well.

when i use my browser to log in to the miner, on the miner status page, i can see that it is getting getworks and connecting to all the 3 pools, getting the difficulty from the pool as well. but the hash rate is 0.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zkfq123

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:09:01 AM

change another psu

or you can connect the pcie power lne just  to one side  of s1.and it s use half power of  180w
shahadil (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:39:52 PM

hi guys need a little help. i have been using my antminer s1 since march. however, last night after a restart the miner just wouldnt start hashing. on closer inspection i have found that on the board there are a green and red light that come on once you start the miner. after 10 sec there is a light behind the ehternet port that comes on. it is this light that is not coming on. sometimes, after restarting the yellow and green light on the ethernet port work, sometimes they dont work. but the light behind the ehternet port has not been switching on at all. i have restarted more than 10 times, done a hard reset, plugged out all the cables and inserted them again, cleaned out any dust that may have settled. but this light does not seem to turn on. the green light on both the hashing boards are not on as well.

when i use my browser to log in to the miner, on the miner status page, i can see that it is getting getworks and connecting to all the 3 pools, getting the difficulty from the pool as well. but the hash rate is 0.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

now all my 3 antminers wont hash. they all come on, but the green boards just dont hash. i cant understand what the problem is. tried changing power supply as well.
cozk

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:50:20 PM

reconfigure them.
kayl

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:17:42 AM

with mine i need the network cable plugged into my network to get them started sometimes, then they seem to talk through the wifi cable after. now i always have a lan cable connected to each and they run fine
btmtb

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

Scam-Busting PSA: Beware of Black Arrow Software

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:37:51 AM
Last edit: July 19, 2014, 12:04:31 PM by btmtb

This is coincidental because I've got what appears to be the same issue which has spontaneously occurred. No config or hardware changes were made, just a reboot. The controller fire up (happy to post logs if someone is willing to compare with their working one?). Everything on the controller looks good, i can access the controller via ethernet and wifi, the gui is fine, the ssh is fine. The configurations are all the same, the pools are polled, the ntp is okay. However the miner status page shows no blades. I've tested every link on the ribbons for continuity and they're all good. When I fire the boards up without the controller attached they run the fans at 100%, so that seems okay. I'm not sure what else to test on the boards though. Neither board works alone, on either of the two controllers ribbons. I've tried an alternative PSU. I've even tried a solo psu for each board. I've tried restoring my backed up known-good config to the controller, factory resetting it, and even reflashing the controller. I cannot get the green led's back on my lovely blades.

I'm actually that perplexed and intrigued, trying to work out what's failed that I've paid (what I consider to be a overpriced amount) for a new controller board from Bitmaintech.  I'm hoping it will arrive any day now. I don't think I'll ever really recover the costs for the new controller but my curiosity was too high to justify it. I wonder if we'll start seeing a lot more failures like this now the boards have reached a certain age? Please update here if your S1 does this.

The annoy thing is that it happened as I turned it off to take photo's and sell it on fee-bay. At least I'm kind of okay with not having it hashing now.

Other relevant info: It had an additional 120mm exhaust fan, a full after-market face-side heatsink set, and was undervolted to 140gh/s and had run stable like this for 3 months (wife didn't like the noise of the fans, and we have high electricity costs so it was a win/win to undervolt and heatsink).

I'd welcome any knowledgeable input on how to test the blades for faults. I have a decent multimeter but I'm no EE.

Assuming the new controller doesn't fix it when that turns up I'd be interest if anyone has any blades (even part-working with some dead chips, but does some hashing) that they want to donate for carriage or sell cheap, give me a shout, as I'd like to use one for diagnosing what isn't working with this fault.
shahadil (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 08:23:02 AM

Mine too had failed as I had switched them off and on restart they never came on. Though I have to admit te s3 was launching and in my mind I was thinking of selling off the s1's. Luckily all of them were still in warranty. I spoke to bitmain he asked me to do a few things you described. Nothing worked. Have despatched the 3 control boards. They should receive it on Tuesday. I only hope the new boards make it run again. Funnily the fan on my 6 month old 50 gh/s BFL gave up a week after the antminer failure.

I did think bad electricity could be a probable cause but I am connected through a spike strip and then a corsair Rm 650. So that also should not be the case.
btmtb

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 12:34:19 PM

After paying Bitmaintech on the 15th July and chasing dispatch confirmation on the 19th, I've heard back that they don't have any new working S1 controllers in stock anymore at the moment and they're trying to find one. I've sent them a link to this thread and asked them to chime in with their suggestions as to what might be wrong. I presume they will have experienced this more than once before considering the number of S1's they hashed with.

I've also now heard back from member devesh.g who had a similar problem here, and unfortunately in his case it turned out to be faulty blades that needed replacing. I'm REALLY hoping this isn't the case for us otherwise I've just wasted money on a new controller,. but either way I'd love to know for sure.

If it's a blade fault, I definitely do expect to see more people experiencing this same issue any moment now.

Hopefully Bitmain will chime in with some info and tips.
squiggie

Activity: 147

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 09:10:33 PM

I'm wondering if someone could help me. I purchased an antminer s1 a couple of months ago. Up until a few days ago, it had been mining for about 2 months straight without any issues. Recently, it has started shutting down and by that I mean it stop mining. The whole unit doesn't shut down, as I can still access the web interface and ssh, but it's like cgminer stops working and it will eventually reset itself after a few minutes.

The only change that has been done in the past few months is not even really related to this unit. I switched all my GPU rigs over to x13 and the only commonality between the ant and the GPU rigs are they run on the same circuit. I know, or almost know, it isn't a power issue since the unit stays on and no GPU rigs are affected. I don't believe it's a temperature thing as the mining room actually runs a lot cooler now that I've switched from scrypt to x13. The unit gets not hotter than 45C on each blade. I did just recently try updating the firmware to the most recent one from Bitmain and that didn't help.

This crashes about 3-4 times a day. My problem is I don't see anything in the logs, kernel or system, to show any kind of issue. I don't know enough about how the filesystem is for the any to go looking for other logs so any help in that area would be appreciated. I'm sure there has to be a way to obtain more detailed logs from cgminer or something else to see what's going on. Suggestions?

btmtb

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:15:27 AM

The blades seem to dropping like flies, lots of people are reporting similar problems. Web gui/ssh all fine, full interface access, but blades just stop firing up. Mine has died, and it was very well looked after. I thought it must be a faulty controller as both blades stopped at once, but I tried another controller and its definitely the blades.

I've asked Bitmain to chime in, but they haven't yet. Do we know anyone else with any electrical engineering knowledge of the S1 who could help us work out which component on the blades is failing? Any suggestions anyone? I'm wondering if it's something we could replace ourselves. When the blade is fired up with the fan connected but controller disconnected, the fan runs at full speed, indicating there's definitely a supply of power. Can you confirm if your blades do the same please?
shahadil (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 08:48:53 PM

so an update on this topic. wrote to bitmain. they asked me to perform certain tests. nothing worked. was asked to ship control boards to china. shipped 3. in ten days (today) received 3 new control boards. installed them. my ants are hashing now and all seems okay. there is only one issue now. out of 3 ants, 1 blade of 1 of them is not hashing. initially that blade was not being shown and now it is showing but with 32x. dont know what this issue is. tried another control board but that does not seem to be the issue. will write to bitmain in the morning.
adaryian

Activity: 392

★ BitClave pre-ICO: 25/07/17 ★

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 04:43:06 AM

Have you tried to reset them, doing a hardware reset?  I've had to do this on one of mine before.  There is button, near the wireless adapter, it's a small black button that says 's2' underneath it.  Make sure it's powered on and get something small and non-conductive and press it in for about 15 to 30 seconds.  Make sure it's pressed for the entirety of that time.  After 15 to 30 seconds are up, wait about another 60 seconds, power it off, unplug it from the PSU and give it 10-15 seconds for the power to leave the capacitors and such and then plug everything back in and start it back up.

This -SHOULD- take care of your issue, I thought I had bricked mine; however, by using personal knowledge and working on a lot of hardware in my lifetime I discovered it after looking around for a minute.

This should also make it go back to the 192.168.1.99 IP address, so depending on how your network is configured, you may have to go through and reconfigure it as needed again.

Hope that helps!  P.S., if you're looking for a new pool to mine at, please check out my signature below!  We're constantly looking for new members to join us! Smiley

Also, donations are accepted if I've helped you out, my BTC address is in my profile page! Wink

-Adaryian

,'+██':                 
              ,█████████████;             
            .██████████████████           
            .████████████████████         
         █  .███;         ,███████.       
        ██  .█+              '█████'       
      `███  .█+    ,;'':       █████+     
      ████  .█+ ███████████,    ,████+     
     █████  .████████████████,    ████,   
    ██████  .██████████████████   `████   
   ;██████  .█████`      '██████  .█████   
   ████ ██  .███           :████████████. 
  +███  ██  .█.     `..      ████████████ 
  ████  ██  .    .███████'    ███████████`
 ,███   ██      ███████████    ███████████
 ████   ██     █████████████`  `██████████
 ███;  ███    ███████████████   ██████████`
 ███   ███   .████████████████  `█████████'
,███   ███   █████████████████   ██████████
'███  ,███   █████████████████:  ██████████
+███  ;███  `██████████████████  ██████████
████  '███  .██████████████████  +█████████
'███  :███   █████████████████'  ██████████
:███   ███   █████████████████   ██████████
 ███   ███'  '████████████████   ██████████
 ███,  ████   ███████████████`  ██████████,
 ████  ,███:  `█████████████+   ██████████
 ;███   ████   `███████████+   ███████████
  ███'  .████    █████████`   +██████████;
  ████   █████     :███'     +███████████ 
   ████   █████`            ████████████+ 
   ████,   ██████`        +█████. +█████   
    ████    █████████++████████`   ████.   
    .████    ;████████████████    █████   
     '████`    +████████████     █████     
      +████+     `'█████+.     .█████     
       +█████.                ██████       
        ,██████;           .███████       
          █████████':,:;█████████.         
           ,███████████████████+           
             .███████████████;             
                `'████████,               
btmtb

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 05:52:09 AM

Have you tried to reset them, doing a hardware reset?

...power it off, unplug it from the PSU and give it 10-15 seconds for the power to leave the capacitors and such and then plug everything back in and start it back up...
Also, donations are accepted if I've helped you out, my BTC address is in my profile page! Wink

-Adaryian
Appreciate your input man, but I'm pretty sure that 'turn it off and on again' and hardware reset are amongst the very first things we all tried. These posts are those of us who've had no joy with the nornal route. I couldn't believe you basically said 'turn it off and on again' and put a (albeit very polite) tips welcome line in, that gave me the chuckle of the day Smiley

I've as far as to try to reflow mine in a reflow oven, with no joy. Shame bitmain say they're out of new boards.
adaryian

Activity: 392

★ BitClave pre-ICO: 25/07/17 ★

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 06:19:25 AM

Have you tried to reset them, doing a hardware reset?

...power it off, unplug it from the PSU and give it 10-15 seconds for the power to leave the capacitors and such and then plug everything back in and start it back up...

-Adaryian
Appreciate your input man, but I'm pretty sure that 'turn it off and on again' and hardware reset are amongst the very first things we all tried. These posts are those of us who've had no joy with the nornal route. I couldn't believe you basically said 'turn it off and on again' and put a (albeit very polite) tips welcome line in, that gave me the chuckle of the day Smiley

I've as far as to try to reflow mine in a reflow oven, with no joy. Shame bitmain say they're out of new boards.

Well, it was never mentioned.  That being said, thinking in a logical, technical aspect.  Start with the easiest work to the hardest sometimes gets overlooked.  I only stated these comments because as I said.. it was not mentioned.

Glad I could give you a chuckle.  There's no shame in asking for a donation when it could save someone time/money when the above response was never listed.  To properly diagnose, detailed information is always key.

,'+██':                 
              ,█████████████;             
            .██████████████████           
            .████████████████████         
         █  .███;         ,███████.       
        ██  .█+              '█████'       
      `███  .█+    ,;'':       █████+     
      ████  .█+ ███████████,    ,████+     
     █████  .████████████████,    ████,   
    ██████  .██████████████████   `████   
   ;██████  .█████`      '██████  .█████   
   ████ ██  .███           :████████████. 
  +███  ██  .█.     `..      ████████████ 
  ████  ██  .    .███████'    ███████████`
 ,███   ██      ███████████    ███████████
 ████   ██     █████████████`  `██████████
 ███;  ███    ███████████████   ██████████`
 ███   ███   .████████████████  `█████████'
,███   ███   █████████████████   ██████████
'███  ,███   █████████████████:  ██████████
+███  ;███  `██████████████████  ██████████
'███  :███   █████████████████'  ██████████
:███   ███   █████████████████   ██████████
 ███   ███'  '████████████████   ██████████
 ███,  ████   ███████████████`  ██████████,
 ████  ,███:  `█████████████+   ██████████
 ;███   ████   `███████████+   ███████████
  ███'  .████    █████████`   +██████████;
  ████   █████     :███'     +███████████ 
   ████   █████`            ████████████+ 
   ████,   ██████`        +█████. +█████   
    ████    █████████++████████`   ████.   
    .████    ;████████████████    █████   
     '████`    +████████████     █████     
      +████+     `'█████+.     .█████     
       +█████.                ██████       
        ,██████;           .███████       
          █████████':,:;█████████.         
           ,███████████████████+           
             .███████████████;             
                `'████████,               
shahadil (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 12:35:22 PM

after 20 days and 3 new boards, the boards have stopped working again.
btmtb

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 12:47:03 PM

after 20 days and 3 new boards, the boards have stopped working again.

Have you looked the S1 upgrade kits as an option to breathe more life into these? I can't quite work out how much of the controller board is being re-used and if it might resolve the problems. I'm half-tempted to order one just to see if it helps create a usable machine from a dead one.
shahadil (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 01:29:21 PM

disassembling the s1 boards and putting s3 parts in seems like quite a task, which i am not up for. also by the time they ship almost 31 days later, i dont think it would make sense. atleast for me. i think i am done with mining atleast for a bit. maybe some time later.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: