Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 10:29:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014-07-04 Bloomberg.com - Bitcoin Faces Regulatory Backlash as EU Tells Banks..  (Read 2292 times)
kiko (OP)

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 05:32:30 PM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-04/bitcoin-faces-regulatory-backlash-as-eu-tells-banks-to-stay-away.html

The European Commission signaled it will try to impose rules on virtual currencies such as Bitcoin after the bloc’s banking regulator ordered lenders to shun them.

“It’s imperative to move quickly on this issue,” Chantal Hughes, a spokeswoman for Financial Services Commissioner Michel Barnier, said by e-mail today. “The potential for money laundering and terrorist financing is too serious to ignore.”
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2014, 05:47:17 PM

regulate what you want, other countries will have other rules. bitcoin will survive. and even this regulation will help BTC in the long run.

samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 06:17:42 PM

Fuck Eu !
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 06:29:47 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2014, 10:42:04 PM by FeedbackLoop

“It’s imperative to move quickly on this issue,” Chantal Hughes, a spokeswoman for Financial Services Commissioner Michel Barnier, said by e-mail today. “The potential for money laundering and terrorist financing is too serious to ignore.”

Glad to see the EU going after the "City of London", HSBC, JP Morgan and the Vatican. The actual (not potential) money laundering and dubious financing are too serious to ignore. Glad to see the EU finally moving on that front.

Also I think this Chantal Hughes, the Mouth of Sau... mouth of Michel Barnier le forgot something... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 06:56:18 PM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-04/bitcoin-faces-regulatory-backlash-as-eu-tells-banks-to-stay-away.html

The European Commission signaled it will try to impose rules on virtual currencies such as Bitcoin after the bloc’s banking regulator ordered lenders to shun them.

Far more Euros and USD have been used for laundering and terrorism than any other currency. Same old scare tactics. These slime balls need to clean their own collective porch before they start messing around on ours.

jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 07:14:35 PM

Let them impose rules, regulation means it is not illegal. Their concerns are primarily on money laundering. They know they can't tag names to addresses, they can only indentify coin ownership at the fiat gateways (exchanges) and I believe that is where the regulation will focus.
indiemax

Activity: 722

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 07:26:43 PM

Fuck Eu !

classic Nuland quote,love it! Grin
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2014, 08:13:39 PM

Let them impose rules, regulation means it is not illegal. Their concerns are primarily on money laundering. They know they can't tag names to addresses, they can only indentify coin ownership at the fiat gateways (exchanges) and I believe that is where the regulation will focus.

yep, i go with you  Smiley

bitbouillion

Activity: 868

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 08:52:03 PM

Legalize by regulating.

Bored723

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 08:57:24 PM

Here is the EBA analysis the article refers to:
http://www.eba.europa.eu/documents/10180/657547/EBA-Op-2014-08+Opinion+on+Virtual+Currencies.pdf
notthematrix
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 08:58:55 PM

Offshore banking license http://www.aspenassurance.com/offshore-banking-licenses

Our Private Banking License can be achieved in a Quality Caribbean Jurisdiction for as low as $325,000 USD or BITCOIN equivalent which provides all the advantages of Bank ownership  

This is consmetic , it has to do with the political transparency wanted by the EU goverments...
The banks dont loike this organisation and if they can bypass it true offshore contructions they will...
so no problem here

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
bitbouillion

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 12:58:32 AM

Some passages sound very incompetent and hostile, like:

Inadequate IT safety: the IT systems, infrastructure, transaction ledger, VC protocol and encryption are either insecure, subject to fraud and manipulation, and , in the case of the protocol, can be changed through a majority of minders

I guess they mean "miners".

They also call it 26 times "VC scheme", and only 9 times "virtual currency".

ALToids

Activity: 519

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 10:22:48 AM

It's like it was written at 2AM with beer flowing through the veins.  I'm surprised they didn't pin 9/11 attacks on BTC
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 10:19:18 PM

It's like it was written at 2AM with beer flowing through the veins.  I'm surprised they didn't pin 9/11 attacks on BTC

You can almost count on that if the next terrorist attack is performed by people that have even heard of bit coin. Headlines screaming things like "bit coin wallet found on attackers computer" will be everywhere.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2014, 12:05:13 AM

and it was written months ago. we are now "10 years" away from that in "crypto-time"  Tongue

bitbouillion

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 06:22:50 AM

You can almost count on that if the next terrorist attack is performed by people that have even heard of bit coin. Headlines screaming things like "bit coin wallet found on attackers computer" will be everywhere.

They will even find paper wallets in the ashes.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2014, 11:50:56 AM

They will even find paper wallets in the ashes.

they were laminated. fireproof.

ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:48:28 AM

Bitcoin's long-term viability has essentially nothing to do with what the EU decides.  It (or something like it) will survive despite what the EU "decrees".

Truly laughable

RTRC

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 05:39:26 AM

Obviously, the majority, if not all, who have invested time and or money into bitcoin will not be phased by headlines such as this. But they aren't targeting us with their schemes to rid the world of bitcoin. They are targeting the morons who know absolutely nothing about bitcoin. First impressions are a HUGE deal as we all know. So if somebody who's only knowledge of bitcoin is that it is a virtual currency hears the words 'terrisom' and 'bitcoin' in the same headline, what do you predict that person's judgement of bitcoin will be?

Surely we would all like to think the person would do some research, read some other articles, and form an opinion with facts from trusted resources, but we all know that the majority of people are ignorant morons, so that won't happen. The more you condemn bitcoin, the more people who know nothing about it will be scared away. The limits the amount of future buyers thus reducing the number of bitcoin transactions making their own currency more valuable.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:38:03 AM

Obviously, the majority, if not all, who have invested time and or money into bitcoin will not be phased by headlines such as this. But they aren't targeting us with their schemes to rid the world of bitcoin. They are targeting the morons who know absolutely nothing about bitcoin. First impressions are a HUGE deal as we all know. So if somebody who's only knowledge of bitcoin is that it is a virtual currency hears the words 'terrisom' and 'bitcoin' in the same headline, what do you predict that person's judgement of bitcoin will be?

Surely we would all like to think the person would do some research, read some other articles, and form an opinion with facts from trusted resources, but we all know that the majority of people are ignorant morons, so that won't happen. The more you condemn bitcoin, the more people who know nothing about it will be scared away. The limits the amount of future buyers thus reducing the number of bitcoin transactions making their own currency more valuable.

The "amount of future BTC buyers" has almost no limit, since the fiat system is massively overloaded with debt. Old, tired propaganda will not work when people see Bitcoin rising much faster than gold.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: