Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:53:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is the Speaker going to file a lawsuit with?  (Read 2703 times)
umair127 (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 05:54:41 PM

Supreme Court? I would think they would throw out this suit, because it's political bullshit so boenher can keep his job. But 5 conservative judges might go for it. Question is, can democrats sue a republican president. the stats the media keeps showing is that Obama has issued far fewer executive orders than his predecessors.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 09:42:52 PM

Executive orders are merely supposed to be commands ordered by the President to govern federal agencies, not a way around Congress or other checks and balances to impose law. The Founders purposely made it hard to pass laws for a reason and narrowly defined the scope thereof in Art I, Sec VIII of the US Constitution. And, "All legislative powers herein granted are to be vested in a Congress" is the very first sentence.
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:27:25 AM

Supreme Court? I would think they would throw out this suit, because it's political bullshit so boenher can keep his job. But 5 conservative judges might go for it. Question is, can democrats sue a republican president. the stats the media keeps showing is that Obama has issued far fewer executive orders than his predecessors.
Obama may have less executive orders, but the orders that he does issue are more far reaching and are closer to changing the law then his predecessors.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 05:13:18 AM

that makes no sense.  You have a genuine conflict between the legislative and the executive branch, in which the legislative feels their constitutional right to legislate is being capriciously over ruled with executive orders.   

Taking such a matter to a judicial body is the right thing to do, as they interpret the law and apply it.  Taking this matter to a judicial body - I think it would be the District Court in DC, by the way - is not a punative measure, but a request for clarification of the law.  Further, if a controversial executive order was protested to the court, an injunction for a restraining order could be had until such time as the court ruled on the matter.

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 06:05:30 AM

that makes no sense.  You have a genuine conflict between the legislative and the executive branch, in which the legislative feels their constitutional right to legislate is being capriciously over ruled with executive orders.   

Taking such a matter to a judicial body is the right thing to do, as they interpret the law and apply it.  Taking this matter to a judicial body - I think it would be the District Court in DC, by the way - is not a punative measure, but a request for clarification of the law.  Further, if a controversial executive order was protested to the court, an injunction for a restraining order could be had until such time as the court ruled on the matter.

Absolutely. Executive orders are not supposed to counter existing law. This issue will finally be resolved with the next president in office, but the eventual decision should reign in the executive branch a bit.

zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 12:54:10 PM

It's not the quantity, since the impact of any EO isn't equal in scope.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
umair127 (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 01:00:55 PM

Please describe the quality that deserves such a lawsuit?

Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 01:03:20 PM

I think you've got your priorities mixed up....When a law is legally passed and the president uses an executive order to nullify it, THAT is political bullshit.
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 01:07:21 PM

Executive orders are legitimate. The issue is executive orders that contradict the laws duly passed by Congress and signed by the president himself.

The president is constitutionally required to carry out laws. That's his fucking job. He doesn't get to pick and choose which laws he wants to carry out, or to change them on the fly.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
umair127 (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 01:08:39 PM

I think you've got your priorities mixed up....When a law is legally passed and the president uses an executive order to nullify it, THAT is political bullshit.
Educate me. Which law(s) are you talking about?

zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 01:11:38 PM

Please describe the quality that deserves such a lawsuit?
You misunderstood me. I'm not saying Boehner "the tool" has a case. I'm simply saying you can't weigh each EO equal and quantify them like numbers on a scoreboard.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 01:13:02 PM

I'll pick one (there are many examples)

In 2010 the dream act failed, so Obama used executive orders to stop deportations and of illegal immigrants.

So even though the law (he supported) failed, he just wrote it in and told law enforcement and the justice dept how to act.
Someone or other passed a law about recess appointments:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...d19_story.html
sana8410

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 01:15:36 PM

I'll pick one (there are many examples)

In 2010 the dream act failed, so Obama used executive orders to stop deportations and of illegal immigrants.

So even though the law (he supported) failed, he just wrote it in and told law enforcement and the justice dept how to act.
Someone or other passed a law about recess appointments:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...d19_story.html
...and the other side played the technicalities card by holding fake sessions to block recess appointments.

But technicalities count, so thank god we can say republicans have achieved something in congress.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 02:46:04 PM

Educate YOU?  You brought the subject up.  Which executive actions are you defending?

You defined this matter as political bullshit.

But courts are where genuine differences of opinion on the meaning of law SHOULD BE DECIDED.

That's the right way to resolve a conflict. 
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:25:31 PM

Which EO are you defending?

InwardContour

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:48:04 PM

The president has not enforced our immigration laws for the majority/all of his presidency.

He has made changes to the ACA aka Obamacare via executive orders by changing deadlines and other requirements that are very clear in the law.
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 09:25:28 PM

Executive orders are legitimate. The issue is executive orders that contradict the laws duly passed by Congress and signed by the president himself.

The president is constitutionally required to carry out laws. That's his fucking job. He doesn't get to pick and choose which laws he wants to carry out, or to change them on the fly.

Obama sure is trying to pick and choose the laws he wants to enforce. If any lawsuits are filed, I hope there's one that forces him to do a proper job of securing our borders, for instance.
InwardContour

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 04:06:18 AM

Obama sure is trying to pick and choose the laws he wants to enforce. If any lawsuits are filed, I hope there's one that forces him to do a proper job of securing our borders, for instance.
I have read that the speaker is going to sue regarding the immigration laws on behalf of congress.

Obama is setting very bad precedent by not enforcing our laws. Not only that but it is making it difficult for congress to trust him to negotiate with him as they don't trust that he will enforce the laws that he agrees to.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2014, 04:08:15 AM

The Nobel Peace Prize committee?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
sana8410

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:48:51 PM

Side A might be silly buggers but all sides are buggers period.Ergo going for a recess appointment is only slightly less buggerish than extending do nothing sessions into pro forma sessions to block recess appointments.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: