Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 02:29:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: day trading - what's the catch?  (Read 7015 times)
Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 03:03:04 PM

No catch, it's basically gambling lol with the exchanges being the real winner.

littlewizard

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 11:25:39 PM

Sometimes I am confused, I see "day trade" a lot, and not sure what it means. Does it mean short term trade?
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 11:34:17 PM

Sometimes I am confused, I see "day trade" a lot, and not sure what it means. Does it mean short term trade?

yes, short term. could be within the day or several times a day (intra-day), or over a period of several days. basically, it's playing small moves and "scalping" rather than "swing trading" larger moves.
hollowframe

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 11:59:12 PM

the catch: you give all your money away to the better traders. Wink
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 12:28:50 AM

This is not necessarily true. If you truly know and understand the market then you can potentially make money from "day trading"

At this point the market has become too large and efficient for day traders to really profit. In other words the market reacts to new almost instantly and is accurately priced.
Habeler876

Activity: 624

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 12:40:34 AM

This is not necessarily true. If you truly know and understand the market then you can potentially make money from "day trading"

At this point the market has become too large and efficient for day traders to really profit. In other words the market reacts to new almost instantly and is accurately priced.

Sure, the better traders make money -- the worst ones lose it. And most lose. Smiley

I disagree on "too large and efficient for day traders to really profit". Forex is bigger by huge magnitudes, and professional day traders trade that market as well. Admittedly, I've heard forex is more challenging than bitcoin.

Salmon1989

Activity: 603

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 01:54:39 AM

Sure, the better traders make money -- the worst ones lose it. And most lose. Smiley

I disagree on "too large and efficient for day traders to really profit". Forex is bigger by huge magnitudes, and professional day traders trade that market as well. Admittedly, I've heard forex is more challenging than bitcoin.

With a more volatile market, the day traders have more opportunity to make profit.
In that sense, bitcoin is a much better place for daily traders than forex or stock or gold. Smiley

Habeler876

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 02:41:15 AM

With a more volatile market, the day traders have more opportunity to make profit.
In that sense, bitcoin is a much better place for daily traders than forex or stock or gold. Smiley

Difference is, in forex, traders use 500:1, 1000:1 leverage -- in bitcoin, the most I see is 10:1 (which is crazy), and on the more prominent exchanges, 3:1 and 2.5:1. Makes a big difference on little moves. Smiley

Salmon1989

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:10:06 AM

Difference is, in forex, traders use 500:1, 1000:1 leverage -- in bitcoin, the most I see is 10:1 (which is crazy), and on the more prominent exchanges, 3:1 and 2.5:1. Makes a big difference on little moves. Smiley

Other than btc.sx and bitfinex, are there any other exchanges have leveraged trading?

Habeler876

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:45:37 AM

Other than btc.sx and bitfinex, are there any other exchanges have leveraged trading?

FX Open has leveraged trading, I believe, but I haven't used it, so I can't say much. BTCE has leveraged trading through the Meta Trader platform (you can find it under the "finance" tab.

Salmon1989

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:54:25 AM

FX Open has leveraged trading, I believe, but I haven't used it, so I can't say much. BTCE has leveraged trading through the Meta Trader platform (you can find it under the "finance" tab.

Thanks for the information, I didn't know btce offer leveraged trading as well. Smiley

lemfuture

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:57:40 AM

the catch is that the commissioner get richer

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 07:55:58 AM

Hello,
I'm just interested if is it possible or there is some catch. I see that price of BTC on stocks is different (of course) but the difference is big enough to make money with just buying on one stock and selling on the other one. So my Q is what's the catch? I already checked fees and still it's should be ok.

I've never trade BTC (yet) so correct me if I'm wrong or there is only classic risks like falling price..

I check price @  http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/currency/USD.html

Thanks in advance for your time.

What you're referring to is called arbitrage. You buy low on one exchange and sell a bit higher on another. This is a well-known exploit in trading.
I've done it successfully a number of times with other coins. With BTC, you'll have to invest a lot of USD for it to be really profitable.
The only thing you have to be wary of is price volatility combined with transaction time (the time it takes to receive the BTC can vary quite a bit).
If you've noticed the price difference, other people have too  Wink
ALToids

Activity: 519

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:14:24 AM

Also note that if you're trading via arbitrage then record keeping can get pretty messy and if you're required to pay tax on the income it can become cumbersome without a script or database.
cookmac

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:31:49 PM

I never seen a successful arbitrage since the deposits or wire transfers are always seemed to be delayed.

And the exchange like btc-e states they never receive it etc.
hotsaucee

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 05:00:52 PM

The catch is losing your money lol.  Tongue

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:15:43 PM

Hello,
I'm just interested if is it possible or there is some catch. I see that price of BTC on stocks is different (of course) but the difference is big enough to make money with just buying on one stock and selling on the other one. So my Q is what's the catch? I already checked fees and still it's should be ok.

I've never trade BTC (yet) so correct me if I'm wrong or there is only classic risks like falling price..

I check price @  http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/currency/USD.html

Thanks in advance for your time.

There are many ways to predict the market, but none of them are correct 100%.
You have to be able to admit that some trades are bad ones, short and go on trading like nothing happened,
also, in some cases , the market is manipulated so that many of those who analyse charts make the bad move.

If youre going to start trading anything, start in low bets, and as you progress and learn more, increase your bets accordingly
apepoof

Activity: 129

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:15:05 PM

Isnt it like gambling?

Peter882

Activity: 543

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:42:26 AM

Isnt it like gambling?

Pretty much. There are some different theories to predict asset price though.

Kenshin

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:53:17 AM

I think forex trading is easier than bitcoin trading. Forex trading, you can see news what is happening in that country, major events and press release. All these can move the price of forex. It is more predictable. Where as bitcoin trading, the price just goes up and down for no reasons most of the time.  Undecided

I used my skill and experience in forex trading, and apply that to bitcoin trading. I lost over £200 in one day. That is why I don't trade in bitcoin, I just hold.  Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: