Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:38:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: day trading - what's the catch?  (Read 7015 times)
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:08:12 PM

The catch is you're a newb so you're going to make mistakes.  The altcoin scene is littered with scams coins, clones, pump & dumps, whales, weak hands, bots, never ending hyping and oh my there's more..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
billyscuz

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:26:45 PM

The catch is you're a newb so you're going to make mistakes.  The altcoin scene is littered with scams coins, clones, pump & dumps, whales, weak hands, bots, never ending hyping and oh my there's more..

altcoins are very risky. when BTC is in a strong bull market, i'll look for a bottom in alts then. for now, stick to BTCUSD.

Bitcoin-Scratchticket.com       Win Bitcoin Playing Scratchtickets        Provably Fair   
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:53:02 PM

I feel the same way but I can't help but try and buy I feel I should at least try and buy a couple different coins I think have real potential.  I'm also thinking if Bitcoin does make any real moves these same coins are almost sure to follow.  The problem is having bad judgement(on my part) during a coins pump and thinking you will get easy money..  Then you get dumped on. Sad
hollowframe

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 11:53:15 PM

I think a lot of people think they can strike it rich by day trading, but very few people can make a living off of it. It takes up a lot of your time as well, but good luck if you try it.

Spot on.

Day trading is a loser game.

How come some people still do it then?

If you're not too greedy, and you're satisfied with profits of about 10% on a trade, and you don't panic sell or buy, it's not that hard not to lose money really.
10% is a lot for a trade that is done by a day trader. Most day trader try to make a lot of trades with small gains, hoping that these gains add up over time.
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 11:57:15 PM

I think a lot of people think they can strike it rich by day trading, but very few people can make a living off of it. It takes up a lot of your time as well, but good luck if you try it.

Spot on.

If you're not too greedy, and you're satisfied with profits of about 10% on a trade, and you don't panic sell or buy, it's not that hard not to lose money really.
10% is a lot for a trade that is done by a day trader. Most day trader try to make a lot of trades with small gains, hoping that these gains add up over time.

You're right if daytrading Bitcoin, but this is quite common with altcoins. In the last 24h, Dogecoin, Ripple, Darkcoin, Counterparty and many more have had swings of more than 10% Smiley
Nrcewker
Copper Member

Activity: 2170
Merit: 536

Building my own Dreams!

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:39:06 AM

If do day-trading, you can try LakeBTC, you can put USD or BTC into CNY to do trading, which is free, it can help you save a lot of fee.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Ninietz

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 07:33:11 PM

Spot on.

I have not seen many successful stories so far in the day-trading.
The only thing i did hear is that it is very, no sorry, extremely stressful and on the long run it eats you from the inside out...
Best of luck with the ones that try....
cookiemonsterwhat

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:27:37 PM

the catch is you dumping more of your hard earned bitcoin to a losing game.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:30:17 PM

Hello,
I'm just interested if is it possible or there is some catch. I see that price of BTC on stocks is different (of course) but the difference is big enough to make money with just buying on one stock and selling on the other one. So my Q is what's the catch? I already checked fees and still it's should be ok.

I've never trade BTC (yet) so correct me if I'm wrong or there is only classic risks like falling price..

I check price @  http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/currency/USD.html

Thanks in advance for your time.

Theres no real catch, follow the news, and react before the market does.
Alot of coins are manipulated, and thats why its so hard to make a profit.

Most interesting market for me is LTC-BTC pair. it moves daily, so its kind of interesting, but the manipulation is obvious.

cheers
Mobius7

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 11:54:32 PM

Spot on.

The more trades you make, the more trading fee you need to pay, and the fee will eat a big proportion of your profit.

Marbit

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:20:18 AM

The more trades you make, the more trading fee you need to pay, and the fee will eat a big proportion of your profit.

You need to always factor the fees into every trade. Every trade you enter, you are immediately already down by the fee + spread. So you need to plan accordingly, and not play for minimal gains that threaten to become losses.
Mobius7

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:34:27 AM

You need to always factor the fees into every trade. Every trade you enter, you are immediately already down by the fee + spread. So you need to plan accordingly, and not play for minimal gains that threaten to become losses.

Yup, and that's why I (without much luck and knowledge in day-trading Tongue) prefer to simply hold my bitcoin instead of trading it. Smiley

Marbit

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:49:23 AM

Yup, and that's why I (without much luck and knowledge in day-trading Tongue) prefer to simply hold my bitcoin instead of trading it. Smiley

That's fair enough. I trade, but I wouldn't consider it day trading. I think we see cycles that are predictable enough -- long term tops and bottoms are impossible to call, but once we see clear failure/recovery, the trade is usually worth making.
ShameOnYou

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 09:04:31 AM

This is exactly why I don't day trade. I just don't see a risk/reward that seems worth it to play $5, $10 moves. If BTC falls a lot, I buy. If it rises a lot, I sell. Generally, this has done me pretty well....
gondel
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 10:58:08 AM

Hello,
I dont get it. Price at Bitstamp is always like 10+$ more then BTC-E. If you buy from BTC-E and sell on Bitstamp even with the taxes is profitable. Right now the price of BTC is around 620-630 for a long time. Isnt that going to be really profitable if you do this a lot of times doing the same and the same again. Buy from BTC-E sell to Bitstamp, withdraw USD from Bitstamp and Deposit to BTC-E?
Salmon1989

Activity: 603

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 11:03:58 AM

Hello,
I dont get it. Price at Bitstamp is always like 10+$ more then BTC-E. If you buy from BTC-E and sell on Bitstamp even with the taxes is profitable. Right now the price of BTC is around 620-630 for a long time. Isnt that going to be really profitable if you do this a lot of times doing the same and the same again. Buy from BTC-E sell to Bitstamp, withdraw USD from Bitstamp and Deposit to BTC-E?

1. For selling your bitcoin on bitstamp, you need to pay 0.2% to 0.5% trading fee.
2. For withdrawing your fiat from bitstamp, you need to pay a withdrawal fee.
3. For wiring your fiat to btc-e, you need to pay some fee as well.
4. For buying bitcoin on btc-e, you need to pay 0.2% trading fee.
5. For withdrawing your bitcoin from btc-e to bitstamp, you need to pay 0.001 btc as fee.

Not sure if I missed anything. Smiley

HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 09:47:50 PM

Hello,

It takes time and headache to complete the arbitrage process. Wiring money into BTC-E is apparently not easy and people often face delays in getting credited properly. In that time, the price could go up considerably.
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 09:59:36 PM

Hello,

Inter-exchange arbitrage is a waste of time and sometimes money 98% of the time. Inter-market arbitrage is where it is at.

Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 10:40:14 PM

Hello,
I'm just interested if is it possible or there is some catch. I see that price of BTC on stocks is different (of course) but the difference is big enough to make money with just buying on one stock and selling on the other one. So my Q is what's the catch?

It's just not that easy -- if it were, most traders would make money. But they don't. 80% on average would lose, statistically, so I'd say the catch is that you will probably end up losing. Your mileage may vary, though. Cheesy
tsm

Activity: 137

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 10:50:46 PM

Hello,

Inter-exchange arbitrage is a waste of time and sometimes money 98% of the time. Inter-market arbitrage is where it is at.

A dumb question to I`m new at this, whats inter-market arbitrage?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: