Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 10:19:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TOO MANY BITCOINERS  (Read 4533 times)
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:03:57 PM

Let me ask you guys something, I'm fairly new here.

So assuming I'm a total noob and wanted to "try" these coins out and buy something, oh say at New Egg where I'm looking at some computer parts. And it says right there, pay with bitcoins, how exactly would I go about doing this?

Where can you instantly buy coins, and then pay for goods without having a wallet, or computer..

Basically what I'm saying is, unless your involved in the coin community, you can't. So I see that as the growth problem in one aspect.

You know, I'm not even sure about actually buying hard goods, but my experience with sending Bitcoin has always been:

1) Get somebody's Bitcoin address
2) Click on the Send tab of your wallet
3) Plug in the address you want to send to and the amount you want to send in the appropriate fields
4) Hit send.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:04:30 PM

Altcoins have always been needing to do well.

And I can quote Gavin again here. He said that he would LOVE for some coin to match with Bitcoin, or some Fork to be successful, because then he could sleep at night without wondering if it is all going to crash because of one line of code they missed.

that doesn't have to do much with the mining market being saturated, but it is a good point.

We do have litecoin.  

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:04:33 PM

So assuming I'm a total noob and wanted to "try" these coins out and buy something, oh say at New Egg where I'm looking at some computer parts. And it says right there, pay with bitcoins, how exactly would I go about doing this?

Where can you instantly buy coins, and then pay for goods without having a wallet, or computer..

Basically what I'm saying is, unless your involved in the coin community, you can't. So I see that as the growth problem in one aspect.

What if you could write, and for every 1,000 words you write you can get paid free Devcoins, then trade those for Bitcoins. Would that help? And should there be more coins like that?

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:05:12 PM

So maybe we don't need more miners. We just need to actually start getting used to buying and selling with Bitcoin so the guy with the expensive rig starts realizing that he's not the only person who can profit from cryptocurrencies. I was just writing this blog entry about why we need more bloggers.

We don't get to just say "we don't need more miners" more miners ARE COMING.

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:07:01 PM

It's arguable there's enough people mining.

But of course we're not "done getting new people" regarding people using, spending and receiving payments in Bitcoin.

Regarding mining, an even less centralized system (such as p2pools) would be ideal.

Ok... So we now only accept people with money to buy our coins... We aren't an elitist community at all.

Maybe we are, unfortunately. I learned about Bitcoin and joined the community when it was at about $1k, and I bought some at tha price.

The only way for Bitcoin to be mainstream is for people to use it. And the easier and most common way for people to use it is to buy it.

Or, you could think a little harder.

And teach EVERYONE how to make coins, then let those people mine those coins with their shitty laptops, tablets and windows XP computers. Then they can come and trade those coins for Bitcoin or better altcoins.

Even if they had NO MONEY to start with.

You know that's not the way to make Bitcoin mainstream (or you should).

Honestly, how many people would be willing to learn that and
leave their computer running all day for a few dollars worth?

It's impossible to have billions of people to do that.

That is what everyone said when Bitcoin first started. lol. And there are probably at least a quarter of a billion doing it.

Exactly, thanks. And that's still true. Except of course there's not a quarter of a billion doing it, not even holding coins.

How many people mine Bitcoin?
How many people hold or have ever held Bitcoin?

I don't think those numbers can be even compared.

So only a small percentage of people can get (Bit)coins by mining.

If we don't have a quarter billion people using coins (which is less than the population of America, but we are talking global) then we are even worse off than I thought, and there are even MORE miners coming than I thought.

We will have plenty of people to mine the new coins.

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:08:31 PM

And I can quote Gavin again here. He said that he would LOVE for some coin to match with Bitcoin, or some Fork to be successful, because then he could sleep at night without wondering if it is all going to crash because of one line of code they missed.

that doesn't have to do much with the mining market being saturated, but it is a good point.

We do have litecoin.  

We do have litecoin, but it would be nice to have something a little more socially accepted... Like some kind of DOGE+

PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:10:20 PM

I can't see the connection between the talk you refer to and altcoins... sorry...
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:10:24 PM

If we don't have a quarter billion people using coins (which is less than the population of America, but we are talking global) then we are even worse off than I thought, and there are even MORE miners coming than I thought.

Indeed there's a lot of room to growth.

More people will mine coins and even more people will hold and use them.

This is just the beginning.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:11:20 PM

We do have litecoin.  

We do have litecoin, but it would be nice to have something a little more socially accepted... Like some kind of DOGE+

how about reddcoin?

the fact of the matter is there is no shortage of coins.
in time, adoption will flourish and the winners will emerge.

I wouldn't spend too much energy worrying about that.

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:13:46 PM

I can't see the connection between the talk you refer to and altcoins... sorry...

No need to apologize, just try rereading the first post.

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:14:41 PM

Indeed there's a lot of room to growth.

More people will mine coins and even more people will hold and use them.

This is just the beginning.

Yes.
I believe this is the future of money.

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:15:49 PM

We do have litecoin.  

how about reddcoin?

All I am saying is, if you see a noob talking about getting some mining gear, don't say "It's too hard to mine" don't say "Only mine Bitcoin or Litecoin" say, "Mine your own coin, or check the altcoin section and ask around there"

Junkbarman

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:20:11 PM

You know, I'm not even sure about actually buying hard goods, but my experience with sending Bitcoin has always been:

3) Plug in the address you want to send to and the amount you want to send in the appropriate fields
4) Hit send.

Ok. So how would your mom or say your sister pay for their coffee with bitcoins? They have no idea about that, the only thing they know is what they heard on the news about such and such( bad or good) and what their friends might have said.

It's like the pizza commercial i see, the guys driving down the road and says "What do you want me to do, stop the car, download an app, register it, look for a place to buy, make my order, check the order, and then go pick it up?"

Day to day, people want to walk in a store, pay and go. Simple.

Until this can get off the computer so to speak, and into daily lives, the growth has slowed. Basically, it's either investors, miners, or hobbiest at this point.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:21:47 PM

We do have litecoin.  

how about reddcoin?

All I am saying is, if you see a noob talking about getting some mining gear, don't say "It's too hard to mine" don't say "Only mine Bitcoin or Litecoin" say, "Mine your own coin, or check the altcoin section and ask around there"

if people want max profits, they should mine whatever coin is most profitable for the given PoW algo.
you can search , I think there's a website that will give you that information.  I believe bitcoin is the most profitable SHA-256 coin, you can find what is the most profitable Scrypt coin, and then there is the newer X11 algo.

....but why should they mine their own coin? Don't we have enough coins?

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:23:15 PM

4) Hit send.

Ok. So how would your mom or say your sister pay for their coffee with bitcoins? They have no idea about that, the only thing they know is what they heard on the news about such and such( bad or good) and what their friends might have said.

It's like the pizza commercial i see, the guys driving down the road and says "What do you want me to do, stop the car, download an app, register it, look for a place to buy, make my order, check the order, and then go pick it up?"

Until this can get off the computer so to speak, and into daily lives, the growth has slowed. Basically, it's either investors, miners, or hobbiest at this point.

QRC wallets and Smart Phone wallets. That is the way to do easy in store transactions.

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:25:29 PM

We do have litecoin.  

how about reddcoin?

if people want max profits, they should mine whatever coin is most profitable for the given PoW algo.
you can search , I think there's a website that will give you that information.  I believe bitcoin is the most profitable SHA-256 coin, you can find what is the most profitable Scrypt coin, and then there is the newer X11 algo.

....but why should they mine their own coin? Don't we have enough coins?

I agree that if they want max profits (from known markets) they should get advice like the advice you just suggested.

BUT.
If they want to (or have the ability to) create a new community in their town, school, state, country, club, comic book store, sandwich shop, and profit FROM THAT.

Then they should make their own coin.

Junkbarman

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:27:45 PM

4) Hit send.

QRC wallets and Smart Phone wallets. That is the way to do easy in store transactions.

ok, i just downloaded a QRC wallet, and Smart Phone wallet, now what do i do with these, they have nothing in them.
Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:29:39 PM

4) Hit send.

ok, i just downloaded a QRC wallet, and Smart Phone wallet, now what do i do with these, they have nothing in them.

Go to the Devcoin thread and write for Devcoins, then trade those for Bitcoins. Then take a picture of any QRC that you want to pay, and pay them.

I understand that Bitcoin does not really have any ways to earn it yet, and Devcoin has no way to really trade it yet. But this is the best way to get in to the market for free, the start trading face to face.

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:51:22 PM

There are also a few coins that have mining apps.

Junkbarman

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:59:32 PM

Maybe your just trolling me here to push your blog and website, but it's really bad for conversations.

I don't want your Devcoin, they are worthless, just like every other damn coin other then bitcoin.

To the average person, those things are just plain stupid until they can walk into Starbucks and buy grande latte mocha frappe whatever you call that stuff.

heck, i can walk into home depot and pay with my paypal account, I dont even need my wallet. just tap tap on the screen and punch some stuff in and bam, i got a pick, i can mine gold now.  Wink
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: