Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:49:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Namecoin DNS server for .bit domains  (Read 21815 times)
khal (OP)

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 11:05:07 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2012, 07:48:31 AM by khal

NamecoinToBind v2.2.1 released !
https://github.com/khalahan/NamecoinToBind (zip, tar.gz)

Changelog :
* Change all configuration files for bind to have a real .bit zone (instead of all subzones only)
* bind is now authoritative for .bit zone
* bind load less zones, less memory usage
* adapt zones to support namecoin-suffixes (A way to use .bit domains in 1mn ! Try it !)
* updated README

Be sure to update your config file as the syntax changed a bit (look in the config.php.dist file).
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
khal (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 06:11:04 PM

This is a message for people managing a Dot-BIT DNS server :
http://dot-bit.org/List_Of_DNS_Servers

Please, update to latest release to fix a lot of bugs :
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=66806.msg797658#msg797658

Also, it would help me to contact you if you add a link to a mail address, a profile, etc in the contact field :
http://dot-bit.org/List_Of_DNS_Servers
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 08:36:04 AM

Pinging namecoin-suffix.dot-bit.org from either PRC or Australia results in:

unknown host namecoin-suffix.dot-bit.org

so AFAICT the instructions concerned .reg entries or /etc/resolv.conf are of no use whatsoever now (and yes I can no longer go to bx.bit or anything else that had worked in my attempts before).

Must admit it is a tad disappointing to have purchased a shiny new TLD that to all practical purposes is unreachable. Sad

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 02:28:30 PM

Pinging namecoin-suffix.dot-bit.org from either PRC or Australia results in:

unknown host namecoin-suffix.dot-bit.org

so AFAICT the instructions concerned .reg entries or /etc/resolv.conf are of no use whatsoever now (and yes I can no longer go to bx.bit or anything else that had worked in my attempts before).

Must admit it is a tad disappointing to have purchased a shiny new TLD that to all practical purposes is unreachable. Sad

namecoin-suffix.dot-bit.org is a zone, not an address. You can't ping it.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 03:06:52 PM

Okay - but neither the Windoze .reg nor Linux /etc/resolv.conf methods described in the namecoin wiki are working for me (although initially bx.bit did come up under Windows for a while last week).

If anyone has any method that works to see ciyam.bit (just from Australia is fine as perhaps it is impossible in China) then I'd really appreciate to know it (the OP website doesn't work either).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 04:30:02 PM

Okay - but neither the Windoze .reg nor Linux /etc/resolv.conf methods described in the namecoin wiki are working for me (although initially bx.bit did come up under Windows for a while last week).

If anyone has any method that works to see ciyam.bit (just from Australia is fine as perhaps it is impossible in China) then I'd really appreciate to know it (the OP website doesn't work either).

Yeah I applied the .reg to my windows 7 installation, and it appears to make nslookup work properly, but I can't get it to work outside of that.

Code:
Default Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

> ciyam.bit
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    ciyam.bit.namecoin-suffix.dot-bit.org
Address:  178.32.31.42

>

I haven't really pursued it much, but I haven't needed any .bit domains recently.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 04:59:17 PM

I also get this using nslookup:

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    ciyam.bit.namecoin-suffix.dot-bit.org
Address:  178.32.31.42

but also can't get any further. Sad

khal (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 06:17:47 PM

This is the right response :
Address:  178.32.31.42

rjk : Do you also use Windows 7 ? Which browser ?

Ciyam : which browser do you use ?

If you want to try another solution, you can use directly a DNS server supporting .bit like 178.32.31.41. (Here is how to change your dns server : http://wiki.opennicproject.org/ConfiguringYourComputer [doesn't seem to have instructions for windows 7, only for XP...] )

You can also use : http://dot-bit.org/How_To_Browse_Bit_Domains#List_of_Web_proxies

People reported it working under windows XP, several Linux, Iphone, with firefox, chrome and safari. Maybe windows 7 is the black sheep...

People reported it not working if your DNS provider respond fake replies to non-existent domains (also know as dns redirector). Are you concerned by that ?
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:56:20 AM

This is the right response :
Address:  178.32.31.42

rjk : Do you also use Windows 7 ? Which browser ?

Ciyam : which browser do you use ?

If you want to try another solution, you can use directly a DNS server supporting .bit like 178.32.31.41. (Here is how to change your dns server : http://wiki.opennicproject.org/ConfiguringYourComputer [doesn't seem to have instructions for windows 7, only for XP...] )

You can also use : http://dot-bit.org/How_To_Browse_Bit_Domains#List_of_Web_proxies

People reported it working under windows XP, several Linux, Iphone, with firefox, chrome and safari. Maybe windows 7 is the black sheep...

People reported it not working if your DNS provider respond fake replies to non-existent domains (also know as dns redirector). Are you concerned by that ?

I use Windows 7, and I tested with both Internet Explorer and Pale Moon (a Firefox variant).

I use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, which do not hijack DNS requests. I am guessing that Windows 7 is indeed a black sheep there, and after some searching I found that you may need to edit a group policy for it to work right. Here is a pic of how I did it:

Note that it still doesn't work for me, but I may need to reboot (haven't yet). You may also need to modify the next policy down (Connection Specific DNS Suffix) to Enabled as well, and specify namecoin-suffix.dot-bit.org.
Inspiration from here: http://superuser.com/questions/71853/windows-7-not-appending-connection-specific-dns-suffix

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2012, 01:09:03 AM

I am using XP and have my DNS manually setup to 8.8.8.8/8.8.8.4 (although being in China I guess requests can be hijacked no matter).

Using http://proxy.dot-bit.org I do at least see ciyam.bit ==> www.ciyam.com mapping but it doesn't take me to the site and instead shows this message:

Sorry, this proxy does not allow the requested site (www.ciyam.com) to be viewed.

As stated before http://www.bitviewer.net just takes me to fma.com - and trying directly just takes me to a Chinese "catch all unknown" website.

I got the /etc/resolv.conf approach tried in Australia but nslookup just returns the following:

** server can't find ciyam.bit: NXDOMAIN

(is there something you need to send a signal to after modifying that file?).

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2012, 08:59:43 AM

Was able to get some progress made for Linux. Smiley

Adding this to the /etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver 178.32.31.41

seems to do the job for it.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2012, 09:29:10 AM

Okay - finally got XP working to!

After changing the DNS to 178.32.31.41 for the network connection (and rebooting which perhaps might not have been necessary if I just disconnected and reconnected I guess) I can now type ciyam.bit and get redirected to www.ciyam.com.

Although I think my DNS resolving is now a little slower going through this IP (would be better if *only* did this for .bit) at least now I can actually see something via a browser. Smiley

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 03:49:38 AM

Unfortunately although I tell XP what DNS I want to use it seems (at least when using stand-by mode) whenever my router re-allocates my local IP address I lose this (and I end up back at the injected China Unicom link).

If I disable and re-enable the connection it comes good so perhaps this is just a problem with XP networking.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: