Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:10:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you sometimes wish internet was never invented? Wouldn't your life be better?  (Read 3680 times)
CoinsCoinsEverywhere

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:28:53 AM

Like so many things in life, moderation is important.  The internet has done many amazing things for society.  In many ways, we would be worse off without it.  But if you spend too much time on it, it can be detrimental.  Social websites are great for staying connected with people and sometimes meeting new ones, but you really need to spend time with people face-to-face to have real relationships.  You can do amazingly fast research with the internet, but you have to be careful to find reputable sources, and you need to know your own limits.  You need to know when it's time to unplug and go take a walk outside.
CryptInvest
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1132

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 07:33:10 AM

If there was no internet, then I would not be working. Internet gives real freedom.
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 07:44:39 AM

it has sort of zombified people -- but so did TV before it. so maybe it's just a natural progression. but with smart phones now, people are becoming very socially awkward, physically inactive, just constantly obsessed with the internet. it's really quite sad.

Sort of?  It has full out zombified some.  I was down town last night and a group of people glued to their phones started crossing the street.  They didn't notice the light turn green and were still only half way across.  Cars started honking and one yelled out to f off as they had the walk signal.  Totally clueless. My buddy yell at them that the light was green, they seemed shocked.

There were a couple young people at my last job, couldn't keep a conversation going, but could text like no tomorrow. Groups in pubs not saying a word to each other, but glued to their phones.

I've given up some friends because of their phone addictions.  The fact there are now pubs that will give you a discount if you lock your phone in a box speaks volumes as to how bad the problem has become.

My father always said the internet would be the downfall of society, I think he was on to something.  The internet can be a very good tool, but most use it to build fake farms with real money. LOL!

If there was no internet, then I would not be working. Internet gives real freedom.

Tell that to the people that are addicted to it and can't function without it.
boumalo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 09:02:25 AM

Like so many things in life, moderation is important.  The internet has done many amazing things for society.  In many ways, we would be worse off without it.  But if you spend too much time on it, it can be detrimental.  Social websites are great for staying connected with people and sometimes meeting new ones, but you really need to spend time with people face-to-face to have real relationships.  You can do amazingly fast research with the internet, but you have to be careful to find reputable sources, and you need to know your own limits.  You need to know when it's time to unplug and go take a walk outside.

Agree that internet relationship are incredibly less rich than a real relationship face to face because it is virtual

Internet has to be used for productive things and like a tool; it is very unhealthy to be stuck on it all the time and to depend on it for pleasure

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 09:08:59 AM

Just watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3eHUtMQlcY
I couldn't find the original upload.

Generations of idiots, smartphones and dumb people.  Smiley

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ALToids

Activity: 519
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:27:04 AM

Nice video.  While I don't see anything wrong with enjoying playing online video games with friends and posting about some restaurant you discovered, I think people are losing the art of social interaction.  My best memories as a kid are hanging out in front of my house talking with my friends until nightfall because I couldn't be out at night.  I doubt I would remember them if I was online chatting.
Nobitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

In holiday we trust

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 12:00:28 PM

Yes because I wouldn't be up every damn second of the day trying to gather bloody Bitcoins.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 01:36:12 PM

Nice video.  While I don't see anything wrong with enjoying playing online video games with friends and posting about some restaurant you discovered, I think people are losing the art of social interaction.  My best memories as a kid are hanging out in front of my house talking with my friends until nightfall because I couldn't be out at night.  I doubt I would remember them if I was online chatting.
The kids these days are playing games on tablets/pc or actually being on FB. That's what their childhood is made out of.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 02:55:27 PM

While it's true that internet is a nuisance to my productivity in "real-world" occupations, I feel that the advantages it brings by allowing one to be connected to world-wide communities and up-to-date with so much information and knowledge makes it worthwhile.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:18:51 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2014, 03:50:05 PM by yayayo

I would not say that life would necessarily be better without the Internet. It sure would be different.

It's an interesting thought to imagine life without the Internet or even (one step further) without telecommunication at all. People would be forced to do many things face-to-face (again) which have become impersonal because of the Internet. So that would be a positive aspect.

On the other hand a lot of things do work easier with the Internet and you have access to an extremely rich environment of information and services.

I think I can't answer OP's question. I would have to try living without the Internet for some time to decide.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:25:43 PM

yes ...

for new guys on linux Kernel .... install pakcage ( Patrick Volkerding, 1993 )

ps_> sorry Jeff_G ... hope it will be fun ... (bsd group)

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 04:17:51 PM

I spend on average 12-14 hrs online 7 days a week. If there were no internet I'd be playing/walking/daydreaming in the woods all day long  Cheesy
I love the internet and everything but I wouldn't miss it at all if it were to suddenly disappear  Wink
bitbaby

Activity: 812

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 04:26:57 PM

I don't wish that at all!!!.

Sure enough I spend a lot!! of time on it but I don't think it's a waste of time, I learn a whole lot everyday and I meet so many different people from all over the world. Just can't think of my life without it.

iglasses
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:52:04 PM

No because AOL & Prodigy sucked.
No because I can't see dozens of hot naked chics IRL whenever I want.
No because I can find out facts as fast as I can type.
No because I make a huge salary because I understand how to use google. (shhhh!)

Internet good no Internet less gooder.

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.
BitcoinStuff

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:55:53 PM

Now is the internet, tomorrow will be Bitcoin, after tmorrow who knows.

knightcoin

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 07:16:59 PM

what u mean ? are u rewriting tcp port ?

Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 07:34:47 PM

it's not the internet, but the 1980's your after.  too bad you lived too late

i am here.
knightcoin

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 08:14:20 PM

it's not the internet, but the 1980's your after.  too bad you lived too late

yep .. because if you can talk about arpnet ... my plesuare ...just to see how far my cisco certification know how going to ... ( sorry Michael Bushong )  Grin

Initscri

Activity: 1554
Merit: 759

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 08:29:21 PM

Looking back on my life, it is so hard to tell.
I didn't have internet until teens and found an interest in computer programming soon after.

While I would probably be more active in terms of activity (society in general may be), I'd have to say through all the experiences I have had, people I have met through open connections and the information I have learned... Ultimately, having access to the internet has been for the best.
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #0A0sjic98ubyyG4k

----------------------------------
Web Developer. PM for details.
----------------------------------
boumalo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 08:38:05 PM

I spend on average 12-14 hrs online 7 days a week. If there were no internet I'd be playing/walking/daydreaming in the woods all day long  Cheesy
I love the internet and everything but I wouldn't miss it at all if it were to suddenly disappear  Wink

You wouldn't miss it even if you spent 12-14hours online everyday 7days a week?

Have noticed you miss some real social connections when you spend too much time online and connections face to face should be prioritized

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: