Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:43:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [GRP] GRouPcoin  (Read 28407 times)
markm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 02:45:39 AM
Last edit: September 01, 2013, 06:27:04 AM by markm

Mine already worked, I just think one had to say bitcoind instead of groupdcoind as what to build.

The GUI might not be feasible to build anymore due to even if you manage to get the correct ancient version of wxwidgets that in turn might have depended on ancient versions of everythig else on your system resulting in gosh knows how many things you might have to use ancient versions of in order to get that ancient wxwidgets to work.

Basically groupcoin is a daemon-only coin as far as I know, unless someone does want to wrestle with that ancient wxwidgets GUI system.

Just make sure to mention you want the daemon compiled, that is, bitcoind, or if someone has hacked your copy of the makefile to change the name from bitcoind to groupcoind, then groupcoind.

I never changed that name due to there are many makefiles for many systems and I did not want to imply they all had been made up to date by hacking just that name when, for all I know, tons of other things in other makefiles might also need changing. I figured best leave the original bitcoin makefiles so people can see that they have not been changed so they can figure out that whatever they do to such old makefiles for bitcoin to make them work the same updates will be needed in these to make these work.

So I just rename bitcoind to groupcoind after stripping it after making it before moving it to /usr/local/bin manually for use.

Also I personally do not even use makefile.unix because it lacks the -mt suffix on the boost libraries and it doesn't force use of my custom openssl that includes elliptic curves, so for all coins first thing I always always always have to do is copy makefile.unix to makefile.fedora15 or makefile.fedora16 or makefile.fedora17 or whatever version of fedora I am up to by then and hack it to tell it about the boost libs suffix and my custom openssl because fedora deliberately leaves elliptic curves out of its openssl packages. For some coins I also have to tell it to be permissive about the order in which declarations happen, because the compiler on fedora is strict so doesn't like the code of some coins, at some versions of the coin. So in general, you might well need to make a custom makefile for your specific version of your specific operating-system.

Some versions of some coins I have sometimes also had to add -ldl too to make it link libdl, as some versions of some coins have sometimes failed to link because that lib was not specifically mentioned. The linker usually says that what is causing the error is in that lib so when that lib needs adding it is made clear that is the case by the error message given by the linker, on my system. I dunno if all distros of all operating systems have linkers that helpful though. I guess whatever version of whatever distro makefile.unix was originally created for some other lib already causes it to include libdl without the makefile having to mention it, or maybe does not use libdl so does not need it or something. Need for it seems to vary from coin to coin and/or version-of-coin to version-of-coin over the years.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 04:39:25 AM

SebastianJu, I also encountered the issue you're facing.  Try:

Code:
make -f makefile.unix groupcoind USE_UPNP=

Turns out I needed some more items to build successfully:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libboost-system-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-program-options-dev libboost-thread-dev libglib2.0-dev

It appears to have built groupcoind successfully now.  It's downloading blocks.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 01:44:28 PM

It works! Finally... The two new commands were correct and with some testing with the commands in first tut post i now have an address. 2hypBHFzRxUsvuu79xkqSYpcx7Bs4xBsYfD

And it downloads blocks.

Thanks a lot!

@markm... i asked in your server thread but didnt get an answer yet... is your digitalis-server more active now? I read that in the past not much trades were going on and wonder if its worth to go through the hassle to install the OT-Client. When its silent on there i wouldnt invest time but maybe its lively there now?

I would try using the linux client then since i had so many problems with the windows version that i dont expect that it will run fine in near time.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Lucko

Activity: 826

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 06:13:24 PM

Any chance to get windows version? With GUI if possible...
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 08:20:18 PM

Any chance to get windows version? With GUI if possible...

Use Virtualbox with a mint-image. Then you can run it on windows practically. There will never be a win gui since this coin is practically dead and outdated.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
kost

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 10:25:24 AM

I've made github page and made groupcoin to work actually with newer version of uPNP libs:

https://github.com/kost/groupcoin

Feel free to send patches, comments or suggestions...

Groupcoin address for donations: 2hs4AbNwCpeqBZSg3PzrR1JwiS4R9FPQSks
PatMan

Activity: 924

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2013, 08:39:20 PM

I've made github page and made groupcoin to work actually with newer version of uPNP libs:

https://github.com/kost/groupcoin

Feel free to send patches, comments or suggestions...

Groupcoin address for donations: 2hs4AbNwCpeqBZSg3PzrR1JwiS4R9FPQSks

Good work! I'll give it a go.......

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
ropyu1978

Activity: 1904
Merit: 510

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 09:09:30 AM

where is the windows client?
almightyruler
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1092

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 03:10:29 PM

edit: ignore for now, I was trying to compile two coins at once and thought it was groupcoin that was failing. It wasn't. hurrr. Sorry.
almightyruler
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 02:36:25 AM

Is there a seednode for the "new" coin, or can someone throw me some peer IPs? I've compiled the client, debug.log says it's connecting to 142.68.82.127, and then...nothing. It doesn't report connect success or failure, nor is it trying other IPs. Apart from a wallet.dat flush that's the last thing reported in debug.log in the past 12 hours. Why isn't it persisting in trying to connect?
almightyruler
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 07:18:37 PM

Apart from a wallet.dat flush that's the last thing reported in debug.log in the past 12 hours. Why isn't it persisting in trying to connect?

Been about 3 days now, debug log has not changed since I posted the above. The client is running, but it's not trying to connect.

Anyone got some peer IPs I can put into my conf to try to get it kick started? groupcoin is the only thing holding me up from opening a new account on bitparking.
markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2013, 07:37:01 PM

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
almightyruler
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 07:40:06 PM

... and BAM now I'm in. Thanks so much!

Will try to remember to post some more IPs once I've synced, in case others are having the same problem.
almightyruler
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 09:48:52 PM

addnode=198.154.60.183
addnode=188.165.216.59
addnode=192.99.0.153
addnode=37.139.4.19

Note that groupcoin doesn't appear to have a "getpeerinfo" function, but you can see the IPs it has connected to by doing netstat and looking for port 51333.
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 02:16:41 PM

Any Windows client for this coin yet or still no devs actually doing anything to cater for many people who want client ?

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 02:33:58 PM

All the merged mined coins except I0Coin need new code to deal with the fact that merged mining eats more RAM, faster, than non-merged mining.

The faster a coin spits out blocks, the faster it runs into the problem of it using huge amounts of RAM.

GRouPcoin is a relatively sedate coin, with ten minutes block timing target if I recall correctly, so it is less urgent to update GRouPcoin than it is to update those merged mined coins that have faster average time between blocks target.

Presumably GRouPcoin will get done eventually, it is just not the one in most-urgent need right now.

Also, once it gets onto exchanges then maybe developers will be more interested in bounties denominated in GRouPcoin thus more responsive to the needs of GRouPcoin users who desire work done on the coin and have coins to reward developers for doing the work.

-MarkM-

almightyruler
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 07:39:13 AM

FWIW, groupcoin is already consuming 1.3GB worth of RAM on my *nix box. Only 55MB of that is actually "paged in" which makes me think that most of the data structures held in memory are very rarely used... so 95% of the allocated memory spends most of the time swapped out to disk. I can see this also causing problems because most typical *nix systems will probably not have huge amounts of swap. In my case, groupcoind, one single process, is using 1.25GB of swap, which is about 32%

Is there some way to streamline the client so it keeps those structures on disk instead, rather than consuming RAM/swap?
markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 07:55:25 AM

Yes, that is what the latest I0Coin does. All the other merged mined coins need to be upgraded using that new code.

Hopefully GeistGeld first as it won't even run on my 8 gigs of RAM machines anymore since some time now.

-MarkM-

loveys

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 07:59:04 AM

who can give me a windows ver client?

waves

▄▄▄       ▄▄▄▄
         ▄█████▄   ▄██████▄
       ▄████████ ▄██████████▄
     ▄████████▀▄██████████████▄
   ▄████████▀▄████▀▄▄▄▀█████████▄
 ▄█████████ ████▀▄█████▄▀█████████▄
████████████▄▀▀▄█████████▄▀█████████
 ▀██████▀▄▄ ▀████████▄▀████▄▀█████▀
   ▀██▀▄████  ▀███▄▀███▄▀████▄▀█▀
     ▄████▀▄██▄ ▀███▄▀███▄▀██▀
      ▀█▀▄████▀▄▄ ▀███▄▀███▄
        ▀███▀▄████  ▀███▄▀▀
          ▀▄████▀▄██▄ ▀█▀
            ▀█▀▄████▀
              ▀███▀
.SMART.........
.CONTRACT..
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

███████████████  ██▄
   ██           ██   ▀██
   ██           ██     ██
   ██           ██ ▐██████▌
   ██           ██ ▐█ ████▌
   ███████████████  ██ ███▌
   ███████▀███████   █████
   █████▀   ▀█████      █
   ███▀       ▀███      █
   ██▄         ▄██      █
   ████▄     ▄█████▄    █
   ██████▄ ▄██████ █    █
   ███████████████ ▀▄▄▄▄▀
   ███████████████
████████████████████
.NO....
.GAS..
▬▬▬▬▬

HIGH   
        SPEED

.MULTI-SIG WALLETS..
.ATOMIC SWAPS...........
.VOTINGS......................

.FREEZING......
.DAPPS AND....
.EVEN MORE...
lenny_
Legendary

Activity: 1036

DARKNETMARKETS.COM

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2013, 07:17:37 PM

Hi guys,
Where I can find newest version of groupcoin daemon for Linux? Source code or binary? On this thread I only found links to some 1 year old builds?

DARKNET MARKETS >> https://DARKNETMARKETS.COM
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: