Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:00:07 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] BTC Cake - It's a piece of cake.  (Read 18577 times)
Chillance (OP)

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 01:26:24 PM

Do you have any other team members or developers? Maybe it's time to expand your team :-D
Nah, it's only me atm actually. All done by me. From scratch even. But expanding will be fun. When/If this site is big enough with enough volume, I'm sure I will hire some that can help me out. The volume isn't large enough yet though. Which is good in a way, because I can deal with issues like this without too many angry people. Smiley
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 04:06:34 PM

Alright! It's back up again!
Miitch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 04:45:20 PM

Thanks for the update! Working for me again Smiley

▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇   COIN-SWEEPER
▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇    Avoid Bombs Win BIG
▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇   1% House Edge   ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 05:48:29 PM

Thanks for the update! Working for me again Smiley
Again, I'm sorry about that.

As I mention in my note on the dashboard, I disabled what I think was causing the problem. Live feedback and realtime chat won't work now, but that is also in the works using socket.io instead.
williamj2543

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 06:08:42 PM

Its still confusing me. Could we have someone explain to me like I am a 5 year old?
Could you put this explanation in the OP, or the 2nd post if it is reserved?

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 07:27:19 PM

Its still confusing me. Could we have someone explain to me like I am a 5 year old?
Basically how it worked was that in the background the web browser made a connection to the btccake.com for about a minute. If something happened, a message would have been send through that connection. If not, the connection would timeout, and the web browser would reconnect again. And this would go on forever, just so if there were something happening at btccake.com, you would have been notified about it without having to reload the page. However, a misstake at btccake.com kept this connection open (or really didn't release it), even though you had disconnected.

Now, there is a limit on how many of these that can be open, so, as you can imagine, if a new connection was made from you every minute, it adds up. Especially because this is exactly the same for every new users too. And thus, when these open connections are too many, btccake.com (the server) can't handle any more and thus you can't access the site.

Makes more sense now?
Miitch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 08:27:07 AM

I think they're asking about the game, not the site error you have been having recently Smiley

▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇   COIN-SWEEPER
▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇    Avoid Bombs Win BIG
▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇   1% House Edge   ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇ ▇
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 08:30:10 AM

I think they're asking about the game, not the site error you have been having recently Smiley
Oh, haha, ok. Well, I will try. If someone that gets it can help me out that would be even better because I'm kinda blind to it being the one that have worked on this for so long. Smiley

Gordoh did help me write this: http://www.btccake.com/gettingstarted but maybe still too detailed...
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 08:48:21 AM

I can also mention that the slow response now is mainly because of the database. I'm pretty sure I've indexed proper keys, but I will look into this more deeply as well. I'm using a cloud based one, not locally, but still. It's taking a bit too long for the queries... Especially Dashboard is slow. Rest is better now. Still need to investigate why it's slow when I get the time...
blue eyes

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 10:02:36 AM

what is salt stand for?
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 12:04:01 PM

what is salt stand for?
In short it's input to the end result generation. Every user can provide whatever they want here, and it is used to generate the end result. One small change of the salt change the end result completely. Basically this randomizes the result in a way no one knows how, but it enables a fair random result value where no one will have the control of what it will be.

Look under the Results -> Calculation in a cake where time is up for a more detailed way how it's done.
gordoh

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 10:22:03 PM

And I tried so hard to explain how the site works... I think the next step is a video explanation. Im no good at that sort of thing though unfortunately. Its actually really simple to be honest.
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 10:26:42 PM

I actually have an explainer video planned, but will take a while before that is ready. I'm pretty sure I will have one eventually though.
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:13:58 PM

There, I fixed so now you can reclaim your account if something with the cookie went wrong. There is a cookie created as soon as you access the site which just keeps track of your unique address. This one will live for about 68 years (limit of int32 size). If this cookie was deleted, or you use another browser or computer, a new one will be created. Then, you just use your unique url and login (if password is set) and click on "reclaim" button there.

And I've also tested so that you can't login to one account and then access someone else's without logging in! (this provided that the account has a password set on it).
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 09:16:39 PM

And there, I have now started to add sending email! Currently you can enable to get an email for a cake result, but more to come! Nice to have that in place finally. Will make it easier to add "reset password" functionality.
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:00:33 PM

As you can see here, I'm dedicated: http://www.crowdspring.com/logo-design/project/2379339_btc-cake-tasty-logo/

Who should I pick to win though? Smiley
g-uid

Activity: 259
Merit: 18

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:51:31 AM

I like #46
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 09:04:56 PM

Yea, I'm still around. Just busy on day job.

Anyway, latest is I just added is this:

So, yea, now if you try to login and specify wrong password, there will be a delay before you can try again. This way, it's even harder for those that would like to try to hammer the site trying different passwords. It will delay 10 seconds twice, and then increase. 30s, 1 minute, 5 minutes, 30 minutes.. and then be locked. Again, working on securing down as much as possible. Smiley
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 09:14:28 PM

I actually have an explainer video planned, but will take a while before that is ready. I'm pretty sure I will have one eventually though.

Yeah I think video would be the way to go, I had been on the site before and made a cake but then couldn't figure out what to do next. I felt like I was missing something during the process.  I tried to get to the site today, but no such luck.
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 10:10:31 PM
Last edit: October 03, 2014, 10:23:05 PM by Chillance

Yeah I think video would be the way to go, I had been on the site before and made a cake but then couldn't figure out what to do next. I felt like I was missing something during the process.  I tried to get to the site today, but no such luck.

Thanks man! Appreciate the feedback! If you have even more details on what is confusing/missing, don't be a stranger and mention it here. It will also help me making the video better.

An explainer video is actually in the works. But, in the meantime let me try to help out in text.

How many wedges did the cake you created have? I'm assuming 2 or more, and if so, this means that you just place a bet on the first wedge. Someone else place a bet on the other, and depending on how much you bet, that will translate to chance of winning. Equal amount of bitcoins mean 50% chance for the both of you.

If you just want to learn and play around, you can create a PlayBTC one, enable multibets, and put bets in on different wedges and in different amounts and see what happens. That might clear some things up for you.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: