Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:58:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running P2Pool proxy on a VPS?  (Read 2323 times)
Shadow383 (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 07:33:27 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2012, 10:14:58 PM by Shadow383

Hi
Long time miner/trader etc here, never seen a need for an account here before though  Cheesy

I'm looking at the practicalities of moving my mining over to P2Pool. My current setup is as follows:

-Home PC @ 1.18Ghash/s (2x5970, undervolted & underclocked for minimal power usage)
-Servers (offsite) @ 4.4Ghash/s (3 rigs with 4x5870 cards, undervolted - technically free power as they're at my workplace  - these are used for CFD using OpenCL, but in the 20 or so hours per day they're not used for that they're mining Wink )
-Mining contracts @ 5Ghash/s (bought last year when BTC prices were more favourable so probably running a loss currently)

At the moment, I mine on slush's pool, abcpool, eligius and BTCGuild PPS (each rig has a different failover order so my hashes are spread around a bit)

Ideally, I'd like to help support the future of bitcoin in the form of P2Pool, but I've been put off by a couple of things:
-Extra software requirement - Fairly easy to install CGminer discreetly on the work PCs and plead ignorance/virus/whatever, yes I know, I'm a terrible person Tongue Also the mining contract systems as far as I understand don't yet support P2Pool.
-Systems using their own local wallet - I want to collect all of my coins in one place like I do currently for the sake of convenience.
-Don't want to forward ports at my home address due to the security requirements of my network.

Basically what I want to do is this:
-Rent a cheap-ish VPS somewhere, Ideally accepting bitcoins since half the reason I'm doing this is to support the community.
-Install P2Pool on the VPS as a proxy, and somehow set it to pay out directly to a payment address on my home PC.
-Direct all of my mining hashpower to the VPS.
-?Huh?
-PROFIT!

Any suggestions on how I might go about doing this? I have jack-all experience in setting up servers unfortunately.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Shadow383 (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 10:14:38 PM

VPN? I've clearly been awake for too long - VPS!
Or any other type of server Tongue
I'll have a hunt around on the main board, still can't post there yet though  Roll Eyes
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2012, 10:43:45 PM

p2pmining.com is cheaper than a VPS.  You don't have as much control as running your own p2pool node, but it is pretty easy to point your miners there.

Shadow383 (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 02:15:14 PM

p2pmining.com is cheaper than a VPS.  You don't have as much control as running your own p2pool node, but it is pretty easy to point your miners there.
The thing is, if I want low-fee mining and just low-fee mining, then there are plenty of pools doing that already.
The point in this is that I want to mine as a part of p2pool without huge extra expense for software, and I can bring enough hardware online at low enough cost that a VPS or even a cheap dedi server won't eat into my profits much.
Looking for anyone who can offer advice/experience to help me get the whole thing running. May even be willing to pay for someone's time to help out  Tongue
check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 07:29:42 PM

x10hosting is pretty cheap. $4 pay as you go hosting with root access. Not a VPS but very cheap for root. They also offer an unmanaged VPS for $9, x10vps, though not sure if it is pay as you go.

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2012, 09:19:29 PM

The thing is, if I want low-fee mining and just low-fee mining, then there are plenty of pools doing that already.
The point in this is that I want to mine as a part of p2pool without huge extra expense for software, and I can bring enough hardware online at low enough cost that a VPS or even a cheap dedi server won't eat into my profits much.
Looking for anyone who can offer advice/experience to help me get the whole thing running. May even be willing to pay for someone's time to help out  Tongue
p2pmining is p2pool.  He just runs the daemons for you and does payouts based on diff 1 shares.

Shadow383 (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 11:37:47 PM

x10hosting is pretty cheap. $4 pay as you go hosting with root access. Not a VPS but very cheap for root. They also offer an unmanaged VPS for $9, x10vps, though not sure if it is pay as you go.

Going to look into this, cheers.
Anyone know roughly how much ram/cpu time I'll be likely to use doing this at 10-20Ghash/s? Tongue
thirdlight

Activity: 445

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 08:13:57 PM

You are absolutely right. A VPS running p2pool will let all your miners mine directly to a wallet that is on none of them.

This is what I did, there's probably better ways...
  • Get your vps. A Momento "Starter" is fine. phantomcircuit is helpful with setup. If you want, I can walk you through this bit. The next steps assume a working ubuntu vps.
  • Install everything you need. Paste this one line:
Code:
sudo apt-get install git build-essential libssl-dev libboost-all-dev libqrencode-dev $(apt-cache search libdb|cut -d' ' -f1|egrep '\..\+\+-dev'|tail -1) libglib2.0-dev python-zope.interface python-twisted python-twisted-web python-rrdtool python-pygame python-scipy python-imaging
    and enter the password when prompted.

Is it the vps that's the problem, or the p2pool bits? Let me know where you need detail & I'll try to help.  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: