Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:07:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: betco.in's a ghost town now?  (Read 13805 times)
donatello

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 08:47:29 AM
Last edit: April 28, 2012, 09:16:06 AM by donatello

Do you intend to make good on our balances?  Or is this like a farewell post?  

I only had 1BTC in there, so I'm not really concerned about it relative to how shitty it is if this really happened to you.  But technically it's still on you to get people back, right?

I have no hope to track guy who did it, so unless somebody decide to buy service (like it happened with some exchanges) I probably never be able to pay it off. Service had little to no traffic and as a result virtually no profits. I received one email with offer to buy it out to be able to pay off user's balances, but this wasn't a contract or anything.

I am still in the process of analyzing all data I have left to try to track one who did it. Who knows, may be he did some stupid error somewhere.
You seem a little confused.

Also you told me in an email: Sorry for a all this mess - server was hacked and all coins stolen. I am still working on restoring everything in new place and after that completed - I will get to refunding all balances. All data and code is intact, so there will be no problems with accounting, but I am asking for some time to settle everything.

Thank you.

So when you write this email you're sure you'll be able to do it, then a few days later it dawns on you that you can't? Did something change in those few days?  Like when you wrote the email you thought the website was generating profit, and then you realized that it isn't?  

The tech aspect of this goes over my head, but regardless my hunch is that this hacking thing never happened.

Could you give us an idea of what kind of balances people had on the site?  Also it's unclear to me: Do you think it's your responsibility to pay people back but you just can't afford to do it (and you're probably sorry blah blah), or is your position more like "got hacked, guess that's that, gg guys"?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
donatello

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 08:49:06 AM

I emailed you on 8th/April regarding a bet that was confirmed but never placed and no response.
Attempted via forum messages as well.
Could you clarify this?  Are you saying you made a deposit around April 8th but it never showed up in your account?
hippich

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 12:46:58 PM

Do you intend to make good on our balances?  Or is this like a farewell post? 

I only had 1BTC in there, so I'm not really concerned about it relative to how shitty it is if this really happened to you.  But technically it's still on you to get people back, right?

I have no hope to track guy who did it, so unless somebody decide to buy service (like it happened with some exchanges) I probably never be able to pay it off. Service had little to no traffic and as a result virtually no profits. I received one email with offer to buy it out to be able to pay off user's balances, but this wasn't a contract or anything.

I am still in the process of analyzing all data I have left to try to track one who did it. Who knows, may be he did some stupid error somewhere.
You seem a little confused.

Also you told me in an email: Sorry for a all this mess - server was hacked and all coins stolen. I am still working on restoring everything in new place and after that completed - I will get to refunding all balances. All data and code is intact, so there will be no problems with accounting, but I am asking for some time to settle everything.

Thank you.

So when you write this email you're sure you'll be able to do it, then a few days later it dawns on you that you can't? Did something change in those few days?  Like when you wrote the email you thought the website was generating profit, and then you realized that it isn't? 

The tech aspect of this goes over my head, but regardless my hunch is that this hacking thing never happened.

Could you give us an idea of what kind of balances people had on the site?  Also it's unclear to me: Do you think it's your responsibility to pay people back but you just can't afford to do it (and you're probably sorry blah blah), or is your position more like "got hacked, guess that's that, gg guys"?

send me your paypal email and i will refund you yours $5. so far you are the only person giving me trouble and accusing in being a thief. i am not sketchy guy with random email, so your accusations are very off the line.

mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 04:05:15 PM

I emailed you on 8th/April regarding a bet that was confirmed but never placed and no response.
Attempted via forum messages as well.
Could you clarify this?  Are you saying you made a deposit around April 8th but it never showed up in your account?

Hi, yes the bet was confirmed but unfortunately not placed and not refunded.
I will try to dig up the email and forward to you.

donatello

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 09:08:40 PM

send me your paypal email and i will refund you yours $5. so far you are the only person giving me trouble and accusing in being a thief.
I'm not really accusing you of anything. Naturally there's *some chance* you're just closing shop and running off with balances. I said what my hunch was but I don't think my hunch necessarily means much.

You can keep the $5, or give it away to a good cause if you want.

i am not sketchy guy with random email, so your accusations are very off the line.
OK, this might make it less likely that you'd steal, but more likely that you'd create a cover story for it if you did.  If you say you won't be refunding balances, I think it makes sense to at least be skeptical and ask questions.
hippich

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 01:01:10 AM

donatello, first thing i am trying (even if there are no much hope) - track it down. if nothing helps - try to sell business, if this will not work, it is just like with any other business going bankrupt - it all go nowhere. Believe me, I put a lot of dedication and hours into this project. You may check history of it on the forum and github project. I personally paid for work for this open source project. So it is quite a frustration for me.

ps: if you are by any chance near Austin, TX area and very curious about it - I am more than welcome to meet and answer questions.

donatello

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 05:55:53 AM

I hope you're able to track it down or find a buyer or something.  You probably deserve more benefit of the doubt than I gave.  Just want to say that I definitely feel for the situation and hope it works out for you.  Betco was cool.
mem

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 04:21:18 AM

please send me a PM when your site is back up.

I cant find my email and the amount was only ~0.096 - definitely seems like you have enough regular happy customers so forget my issue.

Ive currently placed it under pending in my gambling list, when its back up perhaps re-announce it in the forums Smiley

Good luck.

nomnomnom

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 03:36:37 AM

Thanks for keeping us informed about the progress.

I only had 1.7 BTC on your site, so not a big loss. I am not mad at you Smiley
It seems to happen to the best (recent linode thing for example)

Just a bit sad about the whole thing, because it was the only bitcoin poker
based on opensource software. I hate this flash software others are using...

@mem
You sure that you are not mixing something up here?
Afaik you are talking about betcoin.eu or something, this here
is about betco.in and it is/was a poker room. I think they are 2 seperate things.

mem

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 06:19:36 AM

@mem
You sure that you are not mixing something up here?
Afaik you are talking about betcoin.eu or something, this here
is about betco.in and it is/was a poker room. I think they are 2 seperate things.

Thanks for catching me on that, updated my list again.
My dyslexia gets worse the less sleep I get (and its been a hell of a 2 weeks).

hippich

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 04:51:05 AM

So finally funds started moving. Most likely because of high price. http://blockchain.info/tx/21ac34ced0f55701b38a3f8e02b9d2b8451db2f0071cd5c761a857d1ac0a78df

So far I could point only forum's user *zvs*. His nogleg.com broadcasted quite a few treansactions in this chain and also he is from texas. Any idea how to tie these transactions to real person are very welcome. If this hacker was from texas, it will simplify matter a lot, as I am from texas too..

sega01

Activity: 391
Merit: 333

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 02:47:56 PM

I had no idea this happened. I met Pavel a couple years ago and he was great to work with. One of the most honest people I've met.

I hope we can track down who took those coins. That's a huge amount.
jlp

Activity: 266
Merit: 264

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:01:52 PM

So finally funds started moving. Most likely because of high price. http://blockchain.info/tx/21ac34ced0f55701b38a3f8e02b9d2b8451db2f0071cd5c761a857d1ac0a78df

Is there any update on this theft?

Were you able to find out how the thieve hacked into your home laptop and desktop?

If the thieve hacked into your home computers, how did the thieve steal your coins?  Was your wallet.dat file encrypted or unencrypted?  If encrypted, did the thieve log your keys?

One of the biggest problems with Bitcoin is the rampant stealing that is going on.  Why would any business want to accept Bitcoin when it is so easy to steal?  Hence, Bitcoin is not getting widespread adoption.  If victims provide more information about how they were victimized, maybe Bitcoin can be made more secure.
billysweird

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 09:00:06 AM

be careful with your money and your count
i trade in mintpal
it's safe and many people trade on it
uglyfatbitch

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 09:57:58 AM

Works for me.
acs267

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 02:09:09 AM

it's been more than 24 hours now since my 100 btc withdrawal. no transaction has been initiated in the blockchain. what should i do?

Did you just send 100BTC (49,660 USD) To a site you did no research on?
KaChingCoinDev

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 10:09:48 PM

it's been more than 24 hours now since my 100 btc withdrawal. no transaction has been initiated in the blockchain. what should i do?

Did you just send 100BTC (49,660 USD) To a site you did no research on?

That was a different time, back when BTC was line a couple $$$, not $500.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: