Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 04:36:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CampBx down since July 3, 2014- Now up - account holders are locked out  (Read 3392 times)
pirsquared (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 07:48:22 PM
Last edit: July 08, 2014, 11:07:48 PM by pirsquared

I'm a long time user of Campbx and have a few folks under me as affiliates. I have never had a single issue with Campbx until the recent holiday (US only) weekend. They announced a D-Dos attack that was resolved on Thursday July 3, 2014 at 4:00pm per their twitter and facebook pages. The site was up and then back down again within minutes. It being a holiday weekend, and them being in the US; I relaxed and enjoyed my holiday.

It is nearly 4:00pm on Monday July 7, 2014 and not another word from Campbx. I've read about troubles with Campbx in the past, but I have literally had none of them. KYC'd in record time. Withdrawals processed immediately (btc), and a reasonable amount of time elapsed for fiat withdrawal (days with money order). I get cheaper fiat withdrawal fees and lower trading fees than standard users. All in all, I have been very pleased given the current, sometimes sketchy, nature of exchanges.

D-Dos attacks - or claims of them - have preceded exchange failures before. I don't have a lot of coin on Campbx, but I'd like to know if and when this will be sorted. Does anyone have any information? Four days is a while to be down in a 24/365 market.

EDIT: Campbx is back up, but many users are unable to withdraw BTC. One, at least, had trades reversed. I think they are trying to get this sorted. Still many users, including me, are unable to login to their accounts.

If you HODL store it CODL!
pirsquared (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:29:12 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2014, 11:36:21 PM by pirsquared

Just wanted to update this thread despite the lack of apparent interest.

I attempted to login once the site came back online. My credentials are known only by me and no one knows my passwords to anything. I was unable to login at https://campbx.com/ using my credentials. The "little eye thingy" that allows you click and view your password is absent from the site. There are a few other minor discrepancies that only regular users would notice.

Please avoid loging in to campbx until we hear something from the site admins via twitter or facebook.

EDIT: Fuck that! Do not attempt to login unless you want to lose your balance. Wait. If you are a concerned customer; post in this thread.

LeChatNoir

Activity: 699
Merit: 501

Coinpanion.io - Copy Successful Crypto Traders

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 11:06:50 PM

I see my account has been closed over there and i have no idea why they did that since my behavior has always been good with them in the past months. I had a liquidity provider bot running on their exchange and more then 27K $ deposited. I just found out other people had serious issues with them in the past so this looks very fishy and i seriously think they're running a scheme over there.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU TO NOT DEPOSIT FUNDS ON CAMPBX UNTIL THEY GIVE US SOME EXPLANATIONS.

I contacted their support and will update as soon as they answer me.

hodlmybtc

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 11:11:36 PM

It's probably since this happened yesterday:

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:19:39 PM

It's probably since this happened yesterday:

A new all-time record high for BTC!
That is an epic buying spree.  Smiley

Seriously, I wonder what could cause that...Hackers maybe, but exactly what happened...?

LeChatNoir

Activity: 699
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 11:22:03 PM

I think they got hacked too but i don't get why they started to lock random customers account without providing a good explanation.

pirsquared (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:24:08 PM

I attempted loading the page mulitple times over the holiday weekend to no avail. The activity shown in the chart is a little...um...goxxish considering no one I know was able to login either. We start making a little noise, and we get a twitter and facebook update announcing another fix a few minutes later.

The "little eye thingy" is back up on the page (the thing you click to see if you typed the correct password. It was not available only an hour or so ago.

"Create Ticket" results in a bad certificate with the following error: The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.kayako.com , kayako.com (Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain) (https://support.campbx.com/Tickets/Submit)

Three possibilities exist in my mind:

1) Hack and site hijack with subsequent twitter and facebook hijacks.
2) D-Dos and loss of data preventing valid login
3) MK goxxing type shit

Please govern yourselves accordingly.

pirsquared (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:33:08 PM

I think they got hacked too but i don't get why they started to lock random customers account without providing a good explanation.

I'm fine with being locked out for my own protection. I still have one login attempt remaining before the site is supposed to lock me out. In fact, I'd rather ALL KYC'd (high value accounts) be locked and the site taken down until this is sorted.

I've seen this sort of thing before with sites being hijacked. It is not like a normal phishing attempt. I took the risk and entered my credentials. I risked some BTC by doing this I guess. I hope no one takes a big hit.

I officially hate all exchanges. It is impossible to ever feel confident about any BTC or fiat that they hold for any amount of time. Against my better judgement I left my last purchase on campbx (I usually buy and move it cold immediately). Live and learn.

I'm not giving up hope - it's early, they are US based, it was a US holiday weekend, they have been unaffected by past issues that were unique to individual exchanges. I'm still getting drunk and high, kicking my dog, and beating my wife with the expectation of total loss.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:34:46 PM

"Create Ticket" results in a bad certificate with the following error: The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.kayako.com , kayako.com (Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain) (https://support.campbx.com/Tickets/Submit)

I think this link "https://support.campbx.com/Tickets/Submit" calls for the "outsourced" support tickets at kayako.com.
The SSL config needs to be fixed, but that error (alone) is not evidence of a serious hack.

st4nl3y
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:34:53 PM

CampBx may have been hacked. Same attack was concluded on bitcurex in march I think.

Bitcoin was trading around 2000 and then suddenly spiked to 5000 and you could see BIG trades happening. All I know it was some russian hackers

pirsquared (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:41:51 PM

I think this link "https://support.campbx.com/Tickets/Submit" calls for the "outsourced" support tickets at kayako.com.
The SSL config needs to be fixed, but that error (alone) is not evidence of a serious hack.

Thank you for clarifying. That eases my mind a little bit. I've never had to open a ticket with campbx. It has been smooth sailing to this point. The whole scenario seems like something we've all seen before...a few times now.

Still, there are no less than three KYC'd users with BTC/fiat balances totalling over $35,000 USD equivalent that are unable to login after the site relaunched/got back up. Do you think this could be due to SQL dataloss, failure for subdomains to propagate, or something else. Seems fishy.

jjc326

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:48:25 PM

I'd had issues with CampBx for like 6 months.  They are garbage.  Tried to withdraw and they wouldn't communicate with me and I know numerous others with the same issues.  If you had paid any attention to the hundreds of complaints you would've known to pull your BTC and fiat out.
pirsquared (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:48:48 PM

CampBx may have been hacked. Same attack was concluded on bitcurex in march I think.

Bitcoin was trading around 2000 and then suddenly spiked to 5000 and you could see BIG trades happening. All I know it was some russian hackers

I'm beginning to think that was practice for something bigger - not that bx is big. If you think about it, fiat exists on exchanges only in a database (SQL usually). Most exchanges secure their wallets pretty well as best I can tell. Fiat, on the other hand, moves only in the database (not on the blockchain).

Should a hacker be successful, moving fiat would be easier than moving bitcoin. The hacker then buys up the board with stolen fiat without regard for the price. It is stolen money afterall. I'm hoping my coin is safe. I don't usually carry a fiat balance for more than a few minutes and haven't on campbx for a month or so.

pirsquared (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:54:09 PM

I'd had issues with CampBx for like 6 months.  They are garbage.  Tried to withdraw and they wouldn't communicate with me and I know numerous others with the same issues.  If you had paid any attention to the hundreds of complaints you would've known to pull your BTC and fiat out.

I understand your admonishment. I usually do buy and pull no matter which exchange I use. I have never had a problem with campbx until the most recent supposed D-Dos attack. I knew better. I know better.

You are preaching to a choir member that got off pitch. If you aren't the sole holder of your private keys, then you don't have any BTC. No go pour salt on someone else's wounds if that's what lights your fancy.

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:57:06 PM

In light of this, I received an email from CampBX(somehow), but it was in my SPAM folder in my Gmail account. Coincidence? Phishing?

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 12:10:26 AM

Their facebook was updated 2 hours ago saying they were seeing a DDoS as of 11:30AM

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
pirsquared (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 12:20:53 AM

In light of this, I received an email from CampBX(somehow), but it was in my SPAM folder in my Gmail account. Coincidence? Phishing?

Check the header and get back with us please.

An admin from campbx (Keyur https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=15102) responded to another member's post in the Service Discussion area of bitcointalk. It was suggested that he wait until 5pm tomorrow to see if his account was one of the accounts that were "marked". Whatever the hell marked means...

pirsquared (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 12:24:01 AM

Their facebook was updated 2 hours ago saying they were seeing a DDoS as of 11:30AM

I'm aware. The site was down all weekend, and that facebook/twitter was silent until threads started popping up on the boards. The charts also show some stupid buying yesterday - when no one else could access the site except via the Cloudfare mirror. Remember remember the gox of November, and December, and January, and...and...and...

AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:49:22 AM

I'm aware. The site was down all weekend, and that facebook/twitter was silent until threads started popping up on the boards. The charts also show some stupid buying yesterday - when no one else could access the site except via the Cloudfare mirror. Remember remember the gox of November, and December, and January, and...and...and...

Im not advocating one way or the other, just making sure this was seen. Hopefully they put out a real statement soon.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
Mieehayii

Activity: 490

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 02:00:56 AM

Recently, many of bitcoin sites are down

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀███▀████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▀▄█████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▄█▄▀████

███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀█████