Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:20:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Got taken for another 1k (1.6btc)  (Read 1427 times)
iglasses (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 02:59:19 AM

Two accounts djjackett & yankee were created and slipped past me resulting in me sending 1.68BTC
https://blockchain.info/address/14tPHgEHQkjTxiWu17SZnPcMekHjK6R5WK

I know so many people have asked before but is there ANYTHING that the site can do to help me try to identify these low live scum?

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:04:48 AM

howd they manage to do what ever it is that they did ?

bitcoin_bagholder

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:39:12 AM

Is there a thread or PM's showing the ruse?

I can't understand how so many people fall victim to these scams.

Bitmixer sucks

Bit-X sucks
djjacket

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 12:33:20 PM
Last edit: July 08, 2014, 12:50:36 PM by djjacket

Here is the real posting for items for sale:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=607441.0

The ruse is that someone watches the sale threads and looks for someone making a public offer and responds with a impersonation account that is similar to the original seller.  This has been happening very often.

Some tips my my buying and selling:

1 - Make offers via PM and not public posts in the thread.  The scammers are responding to the public offers.

2 - Good escrow providers will PGP/GPG sign their agreements and payment addresses with a published key.  This will help verify that the payment address and agreement are legit and in case of a forum account hack, they would also need to gain access to the PGP/GPG pricate key to sign the message.

3 - Be diligent in vetting sellers and buyers.  Always check the other party's posting history and trust feedback before sending and goods or crypto payments.  If the deal seems too good to be true or the other paying is looking to quickly get the deal done, be very cautious.
iglasses (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:00:45 PM

and they are still logging on right now and of course bct pleads insanity and refuses to help.

Name:   djjackett
Activity:   0
Position:   Brand new
Date Registered:   July 07, 2014, 02:21:51 PM
Last Active:   Today at 11:49:11 AM

Name:   Yankee (Bit1nstant)
Activity:   0
Position:   Brand new
Date Registered:   July 07, 2014, 01:57:48 PM
Last Active:   Today at 11:50:31 AM

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:13:04 PM

To avoid these impersonation scammers...

Rule number 1
Don't ever engage in a transaction in a hurry.  If you don't have time to do it right, then you don't have time to do it.  Move on.  These scammers take advantage of the fact that people aren't as careful when they feel pressured for time.

Rule number 2
Check trust link and posting history of both the escrow provider AND the person you are engaging in the transaction with. Most of these scammers can be quickly and easily identified with a quick glance at those two pages.

Rule number 3
Never accept an escrow agreement that is forwarded to you.  All reputable escrow providers will directly contact you with the escrow agreement.  If someone sends you an agreement saying "Escrow provider so-and-so agreed to hold escrow, here's the agreement he sent me", then you are almost certainly being scammed.

Rule number 4
Learn to use PGP.  Learn to sign and verify signatures.  Make sure you have the public key of all the escrow providers that you choose to trust.  While there may be situations where someone might need to issue a new public key, if the signature doesn't match the public key that you already have, don't proceed unless you have some other way of establishing that the person you are dealing with is the actual person you intend to be dealing with.

Following these 4 rules will just about eliminate any chance that you'll be taken advantage of by someone that creates an impersonation account.
djjacket

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:26:19 PM

Here are the links to the two accounts so some members with default trust can affect the global trust rating...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=353019
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=353011
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Here is the real posting for items for sale:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=607441.0

The ruse is that someone watches the sale threads and looks for someone making a public offer and responds with a impersonation account that is similar to the original seller.  This has been happening very often.

Some tips my my buying and selling:

1 - Make offers via PM and not public posts in the thread.  The scammers are responding to the public offers.

2 - Good escrow providers will PGP/GPG sign their agreements and payment addresses with a published key.  This will help verify that the payment address and agreement are legit and in case of a forum account hack, they would also need to gain access to the PGP/GPG pricate key to sign the message.

3 - Be diligent in vetting sellers and buyers.  Always check the other party's posting history and trust feedback before sending and goods or crypto payments.  If the deal seems too good to be true or the other paying is looking to quickly get the deal done, be very cautious.

Your quote should be stickied. Smiley

This is how I met bobsag3/borito4. He PM'd an offer matching the bid I posted on someones FS thread and it took a few PMs before I realized he was not who I thought he was. lol After all that, the deal fell apart when I asked for pics. Go figure.

Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 12:13:26 AM

Can't you just turn your head 20-30 degrees to the left and notice the post count ?
I'm serious....

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 12:19:11 AM

transacting on the internet comes with risk and responsibility. If you are not aware of that then you need to get educated about that before proceeding to see the pitfalls.

Sending funds immediately to a PM from a user on a forum is really bad. Usually I triple check everything before I send just to make sure I have the amount right, the address right, and the user I am sending to is correct.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

iglasses (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:32:14 AM

Now I have this in PM...Obviously it would just be more lost BTC.

traderenterprises

Activity: 5

View Profile  WWW  Personal Message (Offline)
Trust: 0: -0 / +0(0)
Hacked?
« Sent to: iglasses on: Today at 04:36:06 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote  ReplyReply  Remove this messageDelete 
Hello, was just roaming through all posts that peak my interest and found yours, was checking if you got your BTC back and if not, would you consider letting me help out? (or try) I have done some "retrieval" for a few, I use to deal with Blockchain quite extensively and know my way around so for those that get BTC stolen, I try to get back, not by blockchain completely, since it is mainly a recorder in large view. I do this for a fee, would you allow me to get back for .6BTC? I have a little over a thousand others I am helping right now so time is limited but as I make BTC and help, I also expand and while I may not be able to do yours right away, I do not mind listing it on my "to do list". If your interested please let me know, and if so, if you have any more info, blockchain, hash, security key, or just BTC addresses that was used to "funnel" your BTC through, let me know, all info helps.

If you want to donate to me, just let me know, will send appropriate address but not needed. Just let me know if your interested.
Report To Admin
We can see plenty there that needs to be done.

markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 12:45:53 PM

another scam at a guess.

No doubt he would shortly discover the person and it will only cost you xx btc for the information.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: