Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:19:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrading client help needed with debian  (Read 859 times)
bitcambodia (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 06:42:28 AM

I'm upgrading from Bitcoin-qt 8.6, which runs fine as an executable on my Debian box.

I've extracted 0.9.2.1 to a different folder, which contains no executable.

Can someone please tell me the next step?

Thanks.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:43:27 AM

I'm upgrading from Bitcoin-qt 8.6, which runs fine as an executable on my Debian box.

Thanks.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bitcoin

bitcambodia (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 07:57:17 AM

root@debian:/home/cambodia# sudo apt-get install bitcoin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/p_conrad:/coins/Debian_7.0/  Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/download.opensuse.org_repositories_home:_p%5fconrad:_coins_Debian%5f7.0_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: Unable to locate package bitcoin

Thank you.  I've run sudo apt-get update.  I get the above when attempting to install bitcoin core.  Any suggestions?
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 04:37:04 PM

Add the Bitcoin Ubuntu PPA repository in your Ubuntu
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin
Update package lists
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Install bitcoin-qt
Code:
sudo apt-get install bitcoin-qt

Just copy and past the code into terminal and you should have the latest version of bitcoin-qt.

If you prefer not to use a PPA you can download the latest linux client from here:http://bitcoin.org/en/download.  Just decompress the .tgz file and you've got the latest version of bitcoin-qt.*
*Edited to make relevant.

Dare

Activity: 508

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 05:56:13 PM

Thanks.

Check the bin/32 or bin/64 folder, depending on your computer architecture (32-bit vs. 64-bit).

Add the Bitcoin Ubuntu PPA repository in your Ubuntu
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin
Update package lists
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Install bitcoin-qt
Code:
sudo apt-get install bitcoin-qt

Just copy and past the code into terminal and you should have the latest version of bitcoin-qt.

If you prefer not to use a PPA you can download the latest linux client from here:http://bitcoin.org/en/download.  Just decompress the .tgz file and you've got the latest version of bitcoin-qt.*
*Edited to make relevant.

AFAIK, PPAs don't work on Debian without some extra work, which may or may not be worth it.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
BookLover

Activity: 533

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:01:54 PM

AFAIK, PPAs don't work on Debian without some extra work, which may or may not be worth it.
GTK, thank you.

zhinkk

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:37:53 AM

If none of the suggested methods above work, you could always back up wallet, uninstall, and install the latest version. That would be my first approach if I didn't know how to update via repo.
bitcambodia (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 03:05:43 AM

Thanks everyone.  Looks like the PPA route did not work on my Debian machine.

Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /tmp/tmp.nllR6M7tyP --trustdb-name /etc/apt//trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d//debian-archive-squeeze-automatic.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d//debian-archive-squeeze-stable.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d//debian-archive-wheezy-automatic.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d//debian-archive-wheezy-stable.gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80/ --recv C70EF1F0305A1ADB9986DBD8D46F45428842CE5E
gpg: requesting key 8842CE5E from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key 8842CE5E: "Launchpad PPA for Bitcoin" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:              unchanged: 1
root@debian:/home/cambodia#

In the bin/32 folder that I extracted I have bitcoin-qt but, "There is no application installed for shared library files."  In my previous client version (8.6) there was an executable bitcoin-qt file.

Appreciate the help, I am a recovering Windows user.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:18:01 AM

In the bin/32 folder that I extracted I have bitcoin-qt but, "There is no application installed for shared library files."  In my previous client version (8.6) there was an executable bitcoin-qt file.
If you check the file permissions, you will see that it is an executable file, not a shared library. Apparently some file managers don't actually check the file permissions to determine whether a file is an executable or not. It should run normally from the command line or a desktop shortcut.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: