Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:36:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Making a BTC pitch to a billionaire  (Read 7169 times)
Otoh (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 09:00:04 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2012, 04:16:35 PM by Otoh
Merited by suchmoon (4)

would it be a good idea to try & get a Billionaire interested in Bitcoins at this stage?

I would much appreciate feedback on this & if you think that it would be then how would you suggest I approach this person, who I shall call E, I can pretty much be sure that E will read a brief proposal & maybe links to a more in-depth one, here's some background on E

E is someone I admire greatly, creative, fun, open minded, very very generous with an active philanthropic foundation that supports many varied worthy causes & projects - such as medical research, human rights, female empowerment, the arts, child & animal charities, ecological products & issues, construction, to the tune of about $40M over around the last 10 years in nearly 70 different countries worldwide & also has contributed to projects in the arts/women in my local area related of a good friend of mine who I persuaded to contact E's foundation & ask for help with funding what she was doing (my friend's husband was very grateful to me, as in "do you know how much you've just saved me per year?" - it was in the 5 figures)

E lives & works in the US & a couple of countries in the EU mostly & plenty of work too - not just a philanthropist

I am a long time neighbor of E & while not knowing E personally (I have though met & been to one of E's functions) I am good friends with at least one of E's buddies (though they don't hang out together nowadays, though are close - E came to his 50th BD party etc) whose house/s E bought at a good price so he could buy an amazing deal/property nearby & who's son (E's godchild) works full time now for E at an ecological production unit that E started under 5 years ago with an initial investment of some $15M - I organized with my friend's son a private group tour of the facilities & it's impeccable, everyone was very impressed with it

I have also witnessed, by chance, anonymous incredible generosity from this person that probably no one else who even knows E actually knows anything about at all

If E does choose to support something new then generally prefers to do that as a lump sum in to some project rather than as an ongoing commitment, though has contributed regularly to my friend's bi-annual arts/women projects

I obviously have no idea if E will have the slightest interest in Bitcoin or if interested what E may choose to do, E lead quite a rebellious bohemian life when younger so I'm thinking it may appeal & as a very high net worth individual may see personal advantages to it, E uses cash a lot - the donations to my friend's project are in cash (at least the first one was, I haven't asked how subsequent ones were given), on the other hand E may be quite indifferent to it, E may find it of interest that instead of being approached for funding here for once someone may be offering an opportunity to make money whist hopefully doing something that may be of long term benefit to Bitcoin

I shall ask my friend if I can use his name when sending my proposal, I'm sure that it would be fine - in fact even if I didn't ask him it wouldn't be any big deal for him - but as his son now works for E it is only right that I run it by him first

So, feedback, brief initial proposal ideas, deeper linked info, proposals of what E could contribute to Bitcoins if liking the concept wished to see it grow & support it & how E might benefit in various ways by doing so or at least not be out of pocket - or that the good done was worth the expenditure which would be E's main motivation I'm sure

I shall probably take my time with this as I'd like to get it right, it's a one shot deal I imagine, though I can be quite impulsive & just say screw it - let's do it & send it off when I feel that it's hot enough to be worth a crack at & to continue tweaking & faffing around may mean a lost op

this is a dynamic post in that I shall edit it to fill in the bits where I've just left ***s atm & need to look up or check - plus adding to it anything else that comes to mind re this later & correct typos & stuff as I haven't read it back tho even, as other stuff to get in to ~ partying etc.  Tongue

posting this early stages idea (though I've had it for a while) here in Speculation, if & when it's ready to propose to E then I shall start a post on it in the main Bitcoin forum unless peeps think that it would be better off just continuing here with this initial one

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 09:25:20 PM

No offense, but the speculation forum was the worst place to put this Sad

Our goal is not to sell billionaires large quantities of bitcoins so that the price can go up... instead, we want these billionaires to support adoption with whatever influence they have.  This should be moved to Bitcoin Discussion.

(BFL)^2 < 0
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 09:27:34 PM

Our goal is not to sell billionaires large quantities of bitcoins so that the price can go up... instead, we want these billionaires to support adoption with whatever influence they have.  This should be moved to Bitcoin Discussion.
Agreed. Enough with the penny stock nonsense.

The more I read about such stuff the more bearish I become because it’s like we are desperate.
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 09:28:48 PM

I think you should do this.

Tell him to buy about $100k at first so as to not raise the price too much. Grin

Start the rally engine ! Cheesy
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 09:35:17 PM

Tell him to buy about $100k at first so as to not raise the price too much. Grin

People like you make me vomit in disgust.
Otoh (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 09:42:10 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2012, 09:57:37 PM by Otoh

Our goal is not to sell billionaires large quantities of bitcoins so that the price can go up... instead, we want these billionaires to support adoption with whatever influence they have.  This should be moved to Bitcoin Discussion.

I said that this person works for the greater good & not personal gain so you are totally incorrect, if E was in to this it would be first off for Bitcoin as a whole because of wishing to support it, if E found personal financial uses for BTC then that prob would also be good for BTC, E is not a shark as you seem to assume all wealthy peeps are & would be well aware of the consequences of destabilizing the market by excessive buys - did you even read my OP?

Otoh (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 09:45:26 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2012, 11:08:07 PM by Otoh

I am sorry for the reception this has got, the topic is not a troll & the chances of E even being interested are I imagine very slim (none of my friends for instance that I have tried to sell on BTC have been persuaded, even the one's that I advised strongly to get in to gold in early 2007 - pre housing derivatives crash, which I also told them was imminent), but everything I have said is true & I was thinking of what good may be done for Bitcoins's development if a VHNW individual took an early & sympathetic interest

there are plenty of open source efforts well worth funding & developing, ie Armory wallet, if someone with those type of funds had my level of interest it would be both beneficial to the Bitcoin concept as a whole as to them personally for investing in related start ups etc - I was also recalling a thread on how best to support Bitcoin if you had $x00,000 or $1M - there were some very constructive ideas on what one could do there, ie - for one: stable exchange rate held for 1 year plus say by bid ask walls of $1M/BTC anywhere you choose to plant it, great for merchants & an eye opener for the media, getting legal precedents set in important jurisdictions re Bitcoins status & tons more...

bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 09:59:05 PM

People like you make me vomit in disgust.

Seems like your sarcasm detector needs a check mate.

Take it easy !
bracek

Activity: 530

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 10:25:00 PM

last year, I sent an e- mail to Jim Rogers,
inocently Smiley asking him for his opinion about bitcoin,
suggested him to start looking into it on wikipedia

I got the response within 30 hours
maybe it was not himself who wrote back,
but it was something like an apology  for not being able to say anything, because
he did not do his due diligence,
and suggested to me to take a look into commodities markets for investment opportunities

hopefully, seed planted...

Now I think it would go much better with Marc Faber.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 10:52:55 PM

Bitcoin is not ready for Prime Time. Sure, any invester would be a fool to not have some Bitcoin. It would be better to find investers that will help with businesses that are developing software and hardware for the next generations of Bitcoin markets.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Otoh (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 11:11:09 PM

exactly & exactly why I made this thread, for input on that & not to troll the Nigerian prince OMG someone may be about to drop $1M on this penny stock BS as ineededausername seemed to think

& also why I hope to move this forward in rl too, initial feedback is disappointing but if I feel it may be worthwhile I do it without any np

jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2012, 12:13:46 AM

E by gum E's a goodun'

E's are good, Ebanezar's good, m.m.move any mountain

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Blind

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 12:35:46 AM

Forget investors and billionaires.

Someone speak to Mexican and Colombian cartels please.

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. -- Ronald Reagan
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 01:47:27 AM

Here's the pitch I would make to a billionaire, since I happen to have been thinking about this for a little while --

Peg Bitcoin to a basket of physical commodities.

Just as an experiment.  Bitcoin has the potential to be the first digital currency that is pegged (by the market even) to a small handful of physical elements.  All it needs is a little push in the right direction by someone with the means and motivation to do so.

Unfortunately I don't know what the consequence (including benefit) of this would be.  I couldn't really say how to monetize this idea.  I can see how it might be profitable.  It could qualify as philanthropy.  Or it could just end up being a really novel failure.  Regardless, someone should do it.

I mean, if I were a billionaire, I would throw a million dollars at fun ideas like this just to see what happens.  Of course, that's probably one reason I'm not a billionaire...

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 03:02:27 AM

exactly & exactly why I made this thread, for input on that & not to troll the Nigerian prince OMG someone may be about to drop $1M on this penny stock BS as ineededausername seemed to think

& also why I hope to move this forward in rl too, initial feedback is disappointing but if I feel it may be worthwhile I do it without any np

I'm sorry if that was not your intent... but you posted a thread about a billionaire + bitcoin in speculation, so it's easy to read it that way.

(BFL)^2 < 0
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2012, 03:58:20 AM

In my opinion it would be best to influence all of those people between you and him to use Bitcoins. People like your friend, his godson, other people who regularly interact with him.

Go for the most likely users, maybe e-mail them a few Bitcoins to spend as a birthday gift.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2012, 04:01:42 AM

Fuck the billionairas

that is all.

notme
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 04:04:45 AM

In my opinion it would be best to influence all of those people between you and him to use Bitcoins. People like your friend, his godson, other people who regularly interact with him.

Go for the most likely users, maybe e-mail them a few Bitcoins to spend as a birthday gift.

+1

Surround him with it so it's not the first time he's heard of it when you suggest it.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 04:06:15 AM

Suggest that he set up a benevolent mining monopoly which controls the majority of hashing power, but excludes all other miners. Point out the profitability of this venture as the ability to earn 100% of newly generated bitcoin with just 51% of available hashing power.
notme
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 04:20:03 AM

Suggest that he set up a benevolent mining monopoly which controls the majority of hashing power, but excludes all other miners. Point out the profitability of this venture as the ability to earn 100% of newly generated bitcoin with just 51% of available hashing power.

I doubt this billionaire would want to become a millionaire for the sake of bitcoin.  51% would require the largest datacenter in the world.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: