Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:19:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: hashkill - testing bitcoin miner plugin  (Read 90663 times)
xen82

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 05:11:47 PM

how can one run hashkill without being logged on the desktop?

I want to move the system somewhere without a monitor attached, and I can't start hashkill in the ssh session when I'm not also logged in on the console...

You need to have X Windows started, and be logged in (in the case of say GDM). Then you can export your DISPLAY settings and start the app as that user. Hope that helps.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dudel42

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 05:14:33 PM

how can one run hashkill without being logged on the desktop?

I want to move the system somewhere without a monitor attached, and I can't start hashkill in the ssh session when I'm not also logged in on the console...

You need to have X Windows started, and be logged in (in the case of say GDM). Then you can export your DISPLAY settings and start the app as that user. Hope that helps.

yeah, that's what I'm doing now.. setup ubuntu to autologin on startup. just thought there was a way of using it without being logged in on the console, like with aticonfig.
gat3way (OP)

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 05:18:24 PM

One thing I've seen is LOTS of stales. When I used the latest hashkill with deepbit, I noticed I had 7% stales, that's plain crazy. I've tried tinkering with clock speeds, cooling other pools, nothing really helps to resolve this.

Hmpf, that should have been resolved already. You are sure you ran install.sh with root privs?

* config file

That would be nice...but what exactly are we going to configure that is hard to configure via command-line?

* some type of RPC (JSON-RPC anyone) interface for managing operation and querying status of miners (hash speed, temp, pause resume queue, etc)

Right now there is such mechanism, but it's like read-only...you can have a look at the ~/.hashkill/bitcoin.json. It exports hash speed and etc stuff in json format. It sucks though and definitely it would be good to control it remotely.

* ability to adjust fan speeds automatically and provide ability to set min and max speeds per card

This is a very bad idea. Tried doing that in the past. The end result being something that works good on one system and goes crazy on another (well I guess that's what the whole GPU programming is about anyway). Overall I am not inclined

* either prioritize workloads per GPU or per GPU temperature... it would be good for long term operations to have all the GPUs working at the same temperature

This is an interesting idea that never occured to me before. Worth trying.

* an aggressiveness setting

I guess -D and -G work that way. -D -G4 is rather aggressive while just -G1 is the most responsive.
gat3way (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 05:22:20 PM

yeah, that's what I'm doing now.. setup ubuntu to autologin on startup. just thought there was a way of using it without being logged in on the console, like with aticonfig.

Have a look at this:

http://developer.amd.com/support/KnowledgeBase/Lists/KnowledgeBase/DispForm.aspx?ID=19

I am running hashkill via ssh. No logged gnome user required. Also no local console logins needed.
dudel42

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 06:34:35 PM

great info, thx, will change that on the next reboot.

my problem right now lies with the following:

Code:
[proc: 1464] [subm: 553] [stale: 499] [eff: 37%]

this doesn't look all that good...

edit: i had it started with -D -G4 for experimenting with different parameters, guess that was causing it.. with -G2 things look much better.
xen82

Activity: 22

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 07:57:22 PM

One thing I've seen is LOTS of stales. When I used the latest hashkill with deepbit, I noticed I had 7% stales, that's plain crazy. I've tried tinkering with clock speeds, cooling other pools, nothing really helps to resolve this.

Hmpf, that should have been resolved already. You are sure you ran install.sh with root privs?

* config file

That would be nice...but what exactly are we going to configure that is hard to configure via command-line?

* some type of RPC (JSON-RPC anyone) interface for managing operation and querying status of miners (hash speed, temp, pause resume queue, etc)

Right now there is such mechanism, but it's like read-only...you can have a look at the ~/.hashkill/bitcoin.json. It exports hash speed and etc stuff in json format. It sucks though and definitely it would be good to control it remotely.

* ability to adjust fan speeds automatically and provide ability to set min and max speeds per card

This is a very bad idea. Tried doing that in the past. The end result being something that works good on one system and goes crazy on another (well I guess that's what the whole GPU programming is about anyway). Overall I am not inclined

* either prioritize workloads per GPU or per GPU temperature... it would be good for long term operations to have all the GPUs working at the same temperature

This is an interesting idea that never occured to me before. Worth trying.

* an aggressiveness setting

I guess -D and -G work that way. -D -G4 is rather aggressive while just -G1 is the most responsive.

I used sudo ./install.sh so there were no permissions problems. Quick note, when you release an updated version of hashkill, please change the filename with every revision, I'm sure it will help with ambiguity and the bloody web proxies I deal with. Smiley

Config files keep things easy to manage when more and more features come into play.

At present I have 2x6990s running, and due to current cooling constraints, the 6990 that is running up top (gpu0 & gpu1) is running 15% hotter than the bottom card. Due to this, I am using phoenix and set the aggressiveness to 5 on GPU0, 7 on GPU1 and 12 on GPU2 and 3. I tried playing around with D and G, however I wasn't able to keep the card from overheating.

With regards to the temperature threshold in the current implementation, do you poll the SDK until the temperature drops 10C below threshold and begin processing, or do you have a predetermined time based time out.

With regards to prioritizing workloads to keep constant temperatures on the GPUs, it would help to prolong reduce wear from the cards heating up and cooling down.

BTW, have you tested hashkill with btcguild?
gominoa

Activity: 17

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:34:36 AM

Im running hashkill on a headless machine. Everything works fine if I access via ssh and manually start hashkill. Im trying to have it started automatically by a process manager in a non interactive shell. When I started this way i get the following output:

Code:
[error] (ocl_bitcoin.c:930) Statistics about that pool (pit.deepbit.net) not supported.

thousands of times. Literally 10mb of that error per second if I log the output to a file. Ive tried running like

Code:
echo | hashkill-gpu
or
Code:
hashkill-gpu < /dev/null

with no change. I would like some kind of daemon mode switch that completely disables pool stats and replaces the ^M^M^M in the MHash/sec output with a newline.

Thanks
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:50:04 AM

gat3way:

When BFI_INT was implemented on poclbm lower mem. clock produced speed improvement and lower power usage on linux.

They may be related but icbw.

gat3way (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:34:13 AM

I think those are not related. Besides, hashkill does the BFI_INT replacement as well.

Im trying to have it started automatically by a process manager in a non interactive shell. When I started this way i get the following output:

echo | hashkill-gpu

or

hashkill-gpu < /dev/null

with no change. I would like some kind of daemon mode switch that completely disables pool stats and replaces the ^M^M^M in the MHash/sec output with a newline.

Probably hashkill-gpu < /dev/zero instead?
dudel42

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:58:53 AM

Still having some problems with stale numbers here:

Code:
[proc: 1096] [subm: 1000] [stale: 63] [eff: 91%]

maybe this field could be separated, so we know whether it's actually a hw calculation error or a real stale share with the pool?

the number also varies over time for me, no stales for a long time, then several in a short amount of time, then stable again. But I have no idea if this is my hw's fault or not.
gat3way (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:15:15 AM

Does your pool support long polling?
dudel42

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:27:06 AM

Does your pool support long polling?

slush's pool, http://mining.bitcoin.cz
gat3way (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:33:46 AM

Yeah, that's expected then, they have no long polling support. When block is solved there is no mechanism to inform you about that and hashkill is still working on a stale getwork (then eventually submits a share that is stale already). mining.bitcoin.cz does not "punish" you for submitting stales though (at least to my knowledge).
dudel42

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:37:07 AM

hmm, running guiminer on a another (windows) machine results in less then 1% stales on slush.

so hashkill could be more efficient when running on pools with lp support (more of my hashing power actually registering with the pool)?
gat3way (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:44:27 AM

Nope, there is nothing that can be done in that case and it's a matter of luck. You will see higher stale percentage on "shorter" blocks and lower stale percentage on "longer blocks".
gominoa

Activity: 17

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:18:06 PM

Probably hashkill-gpu < /dev/zero instead?

Got it working with
Code:
hashkill-gpu < /dev/stdin

Also hexedited the binary to remove the ^M^M^M so now Im happy.
Thanks for the cool miner.
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 09:35:56 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2011, 06:39:07 AM by Dusty

Have a look at this:

http://developer.amd.com/support/KnowledgeBase/Lists/KnowledgeBase/DispForm.aspx?ID=19

I am running hashkill via ssh. No logged gnome user required. Also no local console logins needed.
Very nice, thanks.

The problem is I've no /dev/dri directory (I'm running Ubuntu 11.04), so the chmod that they provide fails.

Is this a problem? Why I don't have that directory?

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
DonChate

Activity: 61

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:49:09 AM

thanks for the hard work building the bitcoin plugin to your great app. outperforms phoenix on the 5870, and I love how you don't need multiple instances!

Code:
phoenix-miner r100: 348Mhash/s
hashkill 0.2.5: 367Mhash/s
sagefool1975

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:24:41 AM

Hmm getting seg fault myself:

[hashkill] Version 0.2.5
[hashkill] Plugin 'bitcoin' loaded successfully
[hashkill] Found GPU device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Cypress
[hashkill] GPU0: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series [busy:0%] [temp:52C]
[hashkill] GPU1: ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT [busy:0%] [temp:65C]
[hashkill] Temperature threshold set to 90 degrees C
[hashkill] This plugin supports GPU acceleration.
[hashkill] Initialized hash indexes
[hashkill] Initialized thread mutexes
[hashkill] Spawned worker threads
[hashkill] Successfully connected and authorized at deepbit.net:8332
[hashkill] Compiling OpenCL kernel source (amd_bitcoin.cl)
[hashkill] Binary size: 1374888
[hashkill] Doing BFI_INT magic...
[hashkill] Long polling available, starting LP thread.
Segmentation fault
gat3way (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:56:59 AM

What SDK version you use?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: