Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:08:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know what happened to knightmb and his 371,000 BTC?  (Read 81453 times)
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 06:14:40 AM

They've already cured aging in lab mice, so that actually isn't all that farfetched...

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 06:20:48 AM

They've already cured aging in lab mice, so that actually isn't all that farfetched...

Kind to elaborate what this mean?

TiagoTiago

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 06:28:48 AM

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-11/harvard-creates-mice-grow-younger-which-could-lead-human-anti-aging-treatments

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
mjsbuddha

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

yung lean

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 06:34:59 AM

wow... this thread derailed
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 06:52:50 AM

Can you explain how it feels to be a potential billionaire?

Yes, I can. Everyone is a potential Billionaire, with or without Bitcoins.
It feels good!   Grin

TiagoTiago

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 07:23:07 AM

Are people who are actual billionaires also potentional billionaires?

Do you like mmmBananas?!
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 08:32:18 AM

knightmb:

How much?

PM me if you want to move large amounts.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 02:19:28 PM

Oh, I'm still alive and kicking.  Grin

Yeah, still have them, though like was said, it would not be possible to sell them all at once and become an instant millionaire.  No one is going to buy that many at once. I have kept my client running 24/7 since then though, managed to generate a bit more before the collective mining groups took over  Wink

Without the massive server farm I had going before, I'm just down to my personal desktop, so it's never gotten over the 371k since.

I do keep many, many backups though just in case  Cool

from someone who has alot of btc to lose from a hacker; do u keep a separate client and wallet online with minimal to no btc in it?  if so, how do i split off a separate wallet as well?
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 03:00:46 PM

Yeah, still have them, though like was said, it would not be possible to sell them all at once and become an instant millionaire.  No one is going to buy that many at once. I have kept my client running 24/7 since then though, managed to generate a bit more before the collective mining groups took over  Wink

Without the massive server farm I had going before, I'm just down to my personal desktop, so it's never gotten over the 371k since.

from someone who has alot of btc to lose from a hacker; do u keep a separate client and wallet online with minimal to no btc in it?  if so, how do i split off a separate wallet as well?

Yes, the wallet file sits a (2) CD-R and (1) flash drive (was just curious how long that flash drive would stay good) in a safe deposit box at the local bank.  The wallet file on my PC is not the same one that has all the BTC in it for security reasons.  Wink

While it is fun to fantasize about being rich, I know realistically, the BTC would work better as a monthly paycheck than a lotto ticket.

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
knightmb

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 03:01:52 PM

You should probably consider setting up some sort of arrangement in case you die, perhaps setting up some sort of geekier version of the Nobel prize?
Well, I do actually, but it would end up going to family members. I don't know if I would have enough to setup something as large as the Nobel prize unless it really did turn into a billions of value.

knightmb

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 03:04:03 PM

knightmb:

How much?

PM me if you want to move large amounts.

Hehe  Grin

It's just going to sit at the bank for now until the investors decide what to do with it. The irony is, they think the project is a bust, so I've requested to take over ownership of it but never mentioned anything about it's current value because they have never bothered to check since last year. Can you believe all the "smart business" people that told them that BTC was just a waste of time for them? Shows how smart they were.

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 03:09:27 PM

Putting on 2 CD-R and Flash doesn't seem to be enough for 300,000K bitcoins.  Maybe you can tease us by encrypting the wallet with TrueCrypt, give it a 20 char password, and post it here.  You can be sure the wallet will continue to exist on the Internet and it will be safe.
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 03:27:57 PM

I also just thought about that. Or not public but for some people only.
Backups should not be close to each other physically. I think it is risky.

knightmb, I am glad that you are okay! Cheesy

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 04:20:59 PM

You could always send me a copy... I'll keep it nice and safe for you.  Cheesy
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 04:45:42 PM

Yes, the wallet file sits a (2) CD-R and (1) flash drive (was just curious how long that flash drive would stay good) in a safe deposit box at the local bank.  The wallet file on my PC is not the same one that has all the BTC in it for security reasons.  Wink

While it is fun to fantasize about being rich, I know realistically, the BTC would work better as a monthly paycheck than a lotto ticket.

how does one create a 2nd wallet for spending?
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 04:47:40 PM

what about updating those wallets?  doesn't this have to be done from time to time?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 08:05:31 PM

If you move wallet.dat out of it's folder a new empty wallet is created automatically.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 08:27:00 PM

If you move wallet.dat out of it's folder a new empty wallet is created automatically.

but then u can't send btc to that 2nd wallet from the 1st wallet on the same computer.  my goal is to save the majority of my btc on a flash drive in my safe and not have to pull it out for several months.  then i'd have a 2nd wallet with spending money on my computer.   should i just send the btc to a client on another computer?  is the wallet.dat file interchangeable btwn mac and pc clients?
Ricochet

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 11:57:58 PM

but then u can't send btc to that 2nd wallet from the 1st wallet on the same computer. 
You can, by very careful file renaming while the Bitcoin client is closed.  I wouldn't make a habit of it though, doing it only as necessary.  Some people say they've made custom tools to help with easy wallet-switching, but I don't know if any of them have been released publicly.
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2011, 12:44:52 AM

What's cool about having your savings account on a CD-R in a safety deposit box at the bank is that you can STILL send bitcoins to that wallet!

When you go to the bank and get your CD-R and set the wallet up again, all your bitcoins that you sent to that wallet will magically appear.

If I ever have lots of bitcoins, that's what I'll do Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: