Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:39:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know what happened to knightmb and his 371,000 BTC?  (Read 81453 times)
Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:38:27 AM

<conspiracy>I wonder if he didn't do it and the government is trying to scare the Bitcoin believers by discrediting them. Pick a high value, high profile target and lock them up.</conspiracy>

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:55:45 AM

I wonder if they will sell them.
Quicker_777

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:38:16 AM

I love reading the math done back in 2011:  371,000 @ 2.70  is over 1 million now!!

If that same hoard was available today at around 100, that's 37 million or more, easy.   Crazy how the value skyrocketed like that.  The price seems to have a floor of about $100 I've noticed. 

I think the hashrates have started to increase a little over demand, but not by much.  I think they will have to plateau out at some point, and when that happens, the $100 is gonna jump to $1000 in record time. 

Cyberdyne

Activity: 630

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 12:01:52 PM

I love reading the math done back in 2011:  371,000 @ 2.70  is over 1 million now!!

If that same hoard was available today at around 100, that's 37 million or more, easy.   Crazy how the value skyrocketed like that.

Yeah and 371,000 * $266 = $98,686,000.
tpantlik

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 01:21:24 PM

There is update on http://www.mbdonationfund.com/
Update June 26, 2013

The Tennessee Grand Jury has voted to Indict. The indictment paperwork is in public domain, so finding it should be easy. Obviously I won't post any details or comments about this for now.

Gods sent us a powerful tool - cryptography - to fight with those who are trying to exploit us. USE IT!!
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 01:29:43 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2013, 02:41:27 PM by Kluge

Meaning of press' terribly-worded attempt to mask outright quotation of USDOJ release found... Here's what the DoJ posted:

"...

The indictment alleges that Brown devised a scheme to defraud Romney, the accounting firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP and others by falsely claiming that he had gained access to the PricewaterhouseCoopers internal computer network and had stolen tax documents for Romney and his wife, Ann D. Romney, for tax years prior to 2010.

According to the indictment, Brown allegedly caused a letter to be delivered in August 2012 to the offices of PricewaterhouseCoopers in Franklin.  The letter demanded that $1 million worth of the digital currency Bitcoin be deposited to a specific Bitcoin account to prevent the release of the purportedly stolen Romney tax returns.  The letter also invited interested parties who wanted the allegedly stolen Romney tax documents to be released to contribute $1 million to another Bitcoin account.

The indictment alleges that Brown delivered similar letters to the offices of the Democratic and Republican parties in Franklin and caused similar statements to be posted to Pastebin.com.

..."

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2013/June/13-crm-721.html

So... they're alleging Brown trolled people. Anyone up for a game of wire fraud?

We all send PWC an envelope stuffed with a thumb drive containing a document demanding $1b in BTC or we'll release Mitt Romney's tax releases for years AFTER 2010. Include pictures of neighborhood cats on the thumb drive.

830 Crescent Centre Drive
Suite 260
Franklin, Tennessee 37067
United States of America

Telephone: [1] (615) 503-2860
Telecopier: [1] (615) 503-2870

Lead prosecutor is Anthony "Tony" Teelucksingh - can likely be contacted personally at teelucksingh@yahoo.com (unconfirmed if still live) and officially at
*address and phone # snipped for being his actual home info, assumed too intrusive*
Fax: 202-514-6113
Email: Anthony.teelucksingh@usdoj.gov

Interestingly, Tony is likely knowledgeable in pgp and general cryptography. Fairly early Internet user. Looking for a pubkey... pubkey was posted @ http://www.charm.net/~tony/pgpkey.htm but is no longer available and I can't find an archive.

Tony previously worked for a DSL ISP, which gives him quite a bit in common with Michael. If they ever have a conversation, it may actually be fairly light-hearted, heh. Tony has also designed websites. Appears to be interested in both Christianity and Islam (sufism, particularly), possibly Muslim. I'd guess Teelucksingh is Indian?

Another email contact: tony2@home.net (very likely dead)
tony@charm.net (very likely dead)

... So now I'm intrigued. The guy appears very intelligent and level-headed. Not particularly cynical, but not a blinding ray of sunshine. Would be interesting to hear if he actually thinks MB was serious (assuming he did what was alleged), or if it's supposed to be some move against "ransom trolls," or maybe he was just being pressured to do anything.
Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:37:21 PM

Meaning of press' terribly-worded attempt to mask outright quotation of USDOJ release found... Here's what the DoJ posted:

"...

The indictment alleges that Brown devised a scheme to defraud Romney, the accounting firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP and others by falsely claiming that he had gained access to the PricewaterhouseCoopers internal computer network and had stolen tax documents for Romney and his wife, Ann D. Romney, for tax years prior to 2010.

According to the indictment, Brown allegedly caused a letter to be delivered in August 2012 to the offices of PricewaterhouseCoopers in Franklin.  The letter demanded that $1 million worth of the digital currency Bitcoin be deposited to a specific Bitcoin account to prevent the release of the purportedly stolen Romney tax returns.  The letter also invited interested parties who wanted the allegedly stolen Romney tax documents to be released to contribute $1 million to another Bitcoin account.

The indictment alleges that Brown delivered similar letters to the offices of the Democratic and Republican parties in Franklin and caused similar statements to be posted to Pastebin.com.

..."

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2013/June/13-crm-721.html

So... they're alleging Brown trolled people. Anyone up for a game of wire fraud?

We all send PWC an envelope stuffed with a thumb drive containing a document demanding $1b in BTC or we'll release Mitt Romney's tax releases for years AFTER 2010. Include pictures of neighborhood cats on the thumb drive.

830 Crescent Centre Drive
Suite 260
Franklin, Tennessee 37067
United States of America

Telephone: [1] (615) 503-2860
Telecopier: [1] (615) 503-2870

Lead prosecutor is Anthony "Tony" Teelucksingh - can likely be contacted personally at teelucksingh@yahoo.com and officially at
*address and phone # snipped for being his actual home info, assumed too intrusive*
Fax: 202-514-6113
Email: Anthony.teelucksingh@usdoj.gov

Interestingly, Tony is likely knowledgeable in pgp and general cryptography. Looking for a pubkey... pubkey was posted @ http://www.charm.net/~tony/pgpkey.htm but is no longer available and I can't find an archive.

Tony previously worked for an DSL ISP, which gives him quite a bit in common with Michael. If they ever have a conversation, it may actually be fairly light-hearted, heh. Tony has also designed websites.

Another email contact: tony2@home.net (very likely dead)
tony@charm.net Huh (should be able to finger? Checking...)

... So now I'm intrigued. The guy appears very intelligent and level-headed. Not particularly cynical, but not a blinding ray of sunshine.

You're looking to get served  Cheesy

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
pinger
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin - Resistance is futile

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 02:54:30 PM

Oh, I'm still alive and kicking.  Grin

Yeah, still have them, though like was said, it would not be possible to sell them all at once and become an instant millionaire.  No one is going to buy that many at once. I have kept my client running 24/7 since then though, managed to generate a bit more before the collective mining groups took over  Wink

Without the massive server farm I had going before, I'm just down to my personal desktop, so it's never gotten over the 371k since.

I do keep many, many backups though just in case  Cool

from someone who has alot of btc to lose from a hacker; do u keep a separate client and wallet online with minimal to no btc in it?  if so, how do i split off a separate wallet as well?

Yes, the wallet file sits a (2) CD-R and (1) flash drive (was just curious how long that flash drive would stay good) in a safe deposit box at the local bank.  The wallet file on my PC is not the same one that has all the BTC in it for security reasons.  Wink

While it is fun to fantasize about being rich, I know realistically, the BTC would work better as a monthly paycheck than a lotto ticket.

I hope some day I will have your concerns about security problems, that means mys 6 bitcoins worth a lot  Cry

By the way, I don't know knightmb but I'm happy he is fine.

For rent
Torn

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

Free Dog to good home

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 06:53:23 AM

Oh, I'm still alive and kicking.  Grin

Yeah, still have them, though like was said, it would not be possible to sell them all at once and become an instant millionaire.  No one is going to buy that many at once. I have kept my client running 24/7 since then though, managed to generate a bit more before the collective mining groups took over  Wink

Without the massive server farm I had going before, I'm just down to my personal desktop, so it's never gotten over the 371k since.

I do keep many, many backups though just in case  Cool

from someone who has alot of btc to lose from a hacker; do u keep a separate client and wallet online with minimal to no btc in it?  if so, how do i split off a separate wallet as well?

Yes, the wallet file sits a (2) CD-R and (1) flash drive (was just curious how long that flash drive would stay good) in a safe deposit box at the local bank.  The wallet file on my PC is not the same one that has all the BTC in it for security reasons.  Wink

While it is fun to fantasize about being rich, I know realistically, the BTC would work better as a monthly paycheck than a lotto ticket.

I hope some day I will have your concerns about security problems, that means mys 6 bitcoins worth a lot  Cry

By the way, I don't know knightmb but I'm happy he is fine.

Haha! He is far from fine. Alive, healthy? perhaps/probably but fine is a long-shot. I don't think any possibility of federal prison time is a fine way to be for anyone.

Will not trade sex for coins regardless of rumors! You may still attempt if you want.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 05:13:34 PM

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/06/26/195995672/man-indicted-in-scheme-to-blackmail-romney-over-tax-returns

been away and see this has been posted but man.

assuming he did do this why?

this reminds me of the matthew bet, but he did it with the govt :/

WOW! This no looks good.

Part of the evidence against Brown, authorities say, are computer records from last August that show he printed a map from the Internet that gave driving directions from his house to the local offices of Pricewaterhouse Coopers.

The letters were printed not on Brown's computer but on a friend's, according to the indictment, as Brown had emailed the person, identified only as "P.H.," to ask to use their printer, using the excuse that his own printer was out of ink.

Could P.H. be the starfish?  Grin
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 05:18:55 PM

Will they sell them?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:52:31 PM

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/06/26/195995672/man-indicted-in-scheme-to-blackmail-romney-over-tax-returns

WOW! This no looks good.

Part of the evidence against Brown, authorities say, are computer records from last August that show he printed a map from the Internet that gave driving directions from his house to the local offices of Pricewaterhouse Coopers.

The letters were printed not on Brown's computer but on a friend's, according to the indictment, as Brown had emailed the person, identified only as "P.H.," to ask to use their printer, using the excuse that his own printer was out of ink.

More likely, "P.H." is a typo of "P.G."
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 07:45:41 PM

It occurs to me that this would be a good set-up if they are just after his Bitcoins, and think he is hiding them.  A good defense would be to show $37 million worth of assets and say "Why would I do this?  I have plenty of money already."

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
MagicBit15

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Let's Start a Cryptolution!!

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 11:19:41 PM

That is just straight unbelieveable. I am sure he knows he relogged in I just hope he kept until 250 and sold at least some of them  Wink Wink

Tips for Tips: 1Jy8ZycPNjnwNLevNwoRRqPAKkZ8Fqnukc
I won the poetry contest!! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219714.40 Thank You, Sir Lambert!!
+5 Rep: Successful Forum Transactions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176117.0  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209024.0 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233052 Check My Rep!!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 12:35:31 AM

WOW! This no looks good.

More likely, "P.H." is a typo of "P.G."

Nice catch!

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&authuser=0&q=Michael+Mancil+Brown&oq=Michael+Mancil+Brown&gs_l=news-cc.3..43j43i53.17656.17656.0.18652.1.1.0.0.0.0.105.105.0j1.1.0...0.0...1ac.2.u0xrgIbg4ug

About 711 results (0.23 seconds)

I wonder how close Sonny Vleisides' cell will be to MMB's.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 05:28:56 AM

http://mbdonationfund.com/

Update July 1, 2013

I appeared before the Magistrate Juliet Griffin to have the indictment read. I entered my "Not Guilty" plea to the court. The prosecutor, Byron Jones wanted to setup a bond to detain me until trial court date (which had not yet be established). The Magistrate only agreed to have a $10,000 Appearance Bond that did not need to be paid (unless I don't show up for future court). The lead prosecutor wanted to suspend my passport, for which none exist. The Magistrate decided to create a special condition for the Appearance Bond that I do not apply for a new passport, for which I agreed. The Magistrate did not create any more special conditions and no reason was created to detain me any longer given the circumstance, so I was free to go after court adjourned.

Your door on "federal aid":

threeip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 08:12:47 AM

Looks like we need a bigger door...

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
tarrant_01

Activity: 546

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 11:38:32 AM

All of the donations received at the donation address have been sent to Satoshi Dice....

1P95gCUCw3Tjb7yyoYtW3ARZZQyTpFgk6H
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 09:04:38 PM

All of the donations received at the donation address have been sent to Satoshi Dice....
That's... really ridiculous.  This guy is a bigger scumbag than we all thought.

Lol

I hope to launder them...   if not lol. But then again...

I thought SD couldn't effectively launder coins, since they send winnings back to the same address they came from?
Mooshire

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 09:18:07 PM

Well, that escalated quickly.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: