Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:22:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know what happened to knightmb and his 371,000 BTC?  (Read 81453 times)
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 05:08:22 AM

Sell out why? .... they can just trickle them in over a long period of time ... as and when is needed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 05:11:28 AM

Sell out why? .... they can just trickle them in over a long period of time ... as and when is needed.
This.

The big holders are probably the ones responsible for not letting the price get up too high.  Many of them are probably trickling themselves a nice $10k/month or so.
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 05:14:18 AM

True, but time carries risk.

@SgtSpike, that could be true..but in that case it will turn into a game of who can hold out the longest / resist the urge to sell. Honestly if I had 300K I'd sell half and keep the other in a paper wallet and just forget about it for several years. It's a pretty big gamble but it could pay off huge in the end - assuming that you don't need to sell BTC to survive or sustain your lifestyle.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 05:26:05 AM

True, but time carries risk.

@SgtSpike, that could be true..but in that case it will turn into a game of who can hold out the longest / resist the urge to sell. Honestly if I had 300K I'd sell half and keep the other in a paper wallet and just forget about it for several years. It's a pretty big gamble but it could pay off huge in the end - assuming that you don't need to sell BTC to survive or sustain your lifestyle.

ah no ... you had 25,000 and you left them lying around on an insecure computer that is what you would do .... mouthing off about what big holders of BTC are doing is not such a good look given your purported circumstances.

DJcoins

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 05:36:25 AM

WoW you guys are necros but this is a good post Smiley

makes me wonder what I'd ever do If I had that kinda of power!
max in montreal

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 05:37:11 AM

ah no ... you had 25,000 and you left them lying around on an insecure computer that is what you would do ....

Grin
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 04:40:32 AM

har har..laught it up, but if you bothered to actually read my post you'd understand that I was saying what I would do if I had that much in hindsigh of the experience I've went through. Obviously I would not repeat that mistake.

Stardust

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 06:48:06 AM

Anything new on knightmb and his 371 kBTC?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 11:05:47 AM

Anything new on knightmb and his 371 kBTC?

wow, you just remembered him? what did trigger that memory?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 12:18:59 PM

I was just wondering about him, too.  Anyone know anything?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 02:22:56 PM

Last Active:   June 11, 2012, 01:18:33 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=345
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 04:30:07 PM

Last Active:   June 11, 2012, 01:18:33 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=345
Last Active:        Today at 10:34:23 AM

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 09:29:04 PM

I still lurk around the forums   Wink

Someone did send me a message asking to come out and say hi.  Smiley

When I get more time later, I'll put up a good long post about what has been going on all this time. As most can imagine, I try to avoid the the spotlight, although my name seems to come up in bitcoin articles from time to time. Overall, just like to keep my privacy. As I said though, when I get more time later I'll type up a nice long "what the heck has been going on" post.  Grin

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 09:36:03 PM

When I get more time later, I'll put up a good long post about what has been going on all this time. As most can imagine, I try to avoid the the spotlight, although my name seems to come up in bitcoin articles from time to time. Overall, just like to keep my privacy. As I said though, when I get more time later I'll type up a nice long "what the heck has been going on" post.  Grin
You're probably sticking your head out more than a healthy person would, which is admirable. Stay safe!
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 09:46:09 PM

Ill love to read it!
Also, stories like yours are those, that give Bitcoin a charming character.
When there are amiable tales about soldiers of fortune like you in the news,
people like to read it just for fun. So please stay on the news and spread the word as a bitcoin icon! (anonymously if you like)
cst

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

The Cosmos doesn't care about you.

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 10:10:46 AM

I still lurk around the forums   ;)

Someone did send me a message asking to come out and say hi.  :)

When I get more time later, I'll put up a good long post about what has been going on all this time. As most can imagine, I try to avoid the the spotlight, although my name seems to come up in bitcoin articles from time to time. Overall, just like to keep my privacy. As I said though, when I get more time later I'll type up a nice long "what the heck has been going on" post.  ;D

Can't wait for that story :)
Stay safe.
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 05:09:43 AM
Merited by vapourminer (2)

Well, here goes a long spiel.

Probably the last that anyone had heard from me before a few days ago was dated September, 2011 according to my profile stats. So it has been a long time of me just lurking around from time to time.

I can't remember exactly when, but some story broke on the Internet about my bitcoin collection and shortly afterwards things got crazy.

The first thing that happened was my inbox here at the forum exploded with people asking for a loan of anywhere from 10k to 100k bitcoins to start the next big market place. I had a few people message me here that they had been burned by a hacker or some website that had their wallet information and asked for anywhere from 100 to 1k bitcoins as a way to help them recover their loss. I always wanted to help people, but there is no well to tell if these were sincere request or just someone out to make a quick bitcoin scam. Some of those I did help people I did help just to be nice, but word must have gotten around quick.

I had to step back from the forums for a while as it was a good place for people to chase me down. All the questions of what I would do with it or how did I get it, was I the one that hacked XYZ website and that's why I have so many, etc. Somewhere in this topic I think, is a another long explanation of how I came into possession of it all. Long story short, I was in bitcoin early when the network was small and basically used a lot of Amazon processing power to load up a ton of bitcoin miners all at once in their clusters (Amazon) using a custom compiled version of the CentOS bitcoind source files. Amazon had a big price difference between running a lot of windows sessions and running a lot of Linux sessions. Turns out, the Linux sessions were running kind of an old version of CentOS as well as I couldn't even get the compiled binaries to run.

Well, a lot of money was spent to generate that chunk of bitcoins, but not so I could posses it all, there were plans to use it as a backing for re-loadable credit cards like service that had bitcoin powering it in the background. Needless to say, that project fell out due to (at least in hindsight) very inept investors. The project floundered and then finally as a way to get out, they (investors) wanted to see what they could sell everything for. It had cost a lot of real money to produce that pile of bitcoins, so I ended up buying it for dirt cheap (at least in terms that bitcoins really had no value to them). Maybe after the 7 year NDS I signed expires, the world will know who it was, but for now I can't name anyone or business.

Once the market value was shooting up to space, the pile of bitcoins was worth a small fortune in theory at least.

A lot of bitcoins were spread around the community to help people at first, but it kind of got out of hand.
Ultimately, a large portion ended up being donated to wikileaks.org, so I'm certainly not the person sitting up top a large pile of bitcoins anymore. The rest went to paying off small debts and the very last of it was just recently donated to wikileaks.org again. I never had any intention of trying to crash the bitcoin market with a large sell-off as many theorized I would do. So sleep safe that there is one less person like me in the bitcoin kingdom.  Grin

So, no matter what legend has built up, nothing amazing or exciting has happened to the bitcoins I once had. No buying a Country or purchasing Islands of the sort. Just trying to help out where I could instead. The only thing I have left is old screenshots and empty wallet files now.

A large portion of my past time has actually been invested in the creation of an alternate digital currency for the last few years because I always thought there was a better way to do it. So that's where I spend all my time now, at timekoin.org

I was great to catch up with everyone though, hopefully the story wasn't too boring. Maybe not as exciting as some had hoped.

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 05:25:51 AM

That's a nice attempt.
Either way, I'm keeping my BTC in several secure places and the wallet files I'll make sure never touch my PC for security reasons. I look at it as a retirement fund, when I finally get tired of working the 9 to 5 grind, I can tell my boss to shove it with a smile  Grin
"Just kidding; I donated it all to Wikileaks" isn't going to hold, although I do see why you would want to get all that heat off your back.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12908

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 05:40:50 AM

That's a nice attempt.
Either way, I'm keeping my BTC in several secure places and the wallet files I'll make sure never touch my PC for security reasons. I look at it as a retirement fund, when I finally get tired of working the 9 to 5 grind, I can tell my boss to shove it with a smile  Grin
"Just kidding; I donated it all to Wikileaks" isn't going to hold, although I do see why you would want to get all that heat off your back.

Yeah, I find it very hard to believe that he gave up that much money.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 05:53:16 AM

That's a nice attempt.

Yeah, I find it very hard to believe that he gave up that much money.

A lot of early users gave up a  lot of their bitcoins. Most of mine went to the weusecoins video for example. Maybe we just liked the idea of bitcoin more than the idea of being a tycoon Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: