Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:55:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What would my best case scenario MH/s be using my GTX770  (Read 15592 times)
oldmanbeefjerky (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 08:04:26 AM

Hi,

Ive been looking around and cant seem to find any info about my GPU.

Now, i havent begun mining yet, ive been looking into it for a while, and a while back i bought myself a nice new toshiba qosmio x70 gaming laptop which runs pretty nicely, mind you, im not actually using it at all for the time being, i have too much uni work and a hundred other things going on so i cant really upgrade yet, plus its windows 8 and requires a complex custom installation to go back to windows 7, to which i have given up, so for now im just taking babysteps with windows 8.

Long story short its a very high end gaming laptop already notorious for pumping out ridiculous amounts of heat, which got me to thinking, i have a free source of electricty, my 800W hobby solar panel and battery bank, which i made to spite my parents, they kept complaining that i used too much power, so i went and made my room completely independent from the rest of the house, taking advantage of my regions thin atmosphere and extreme sun.
I got free energy, and a cold lorikeet, it gets pretty cold here at night so i thought, hey, why not let my new otherwise unused gaming laptop mine bitcoins in the study and warm that room up, so that at night when i pack the bird away, it is and will remain comfortably warm. Fortunately the rooms are good at retaining heat, if im gaming, on my qosmio x550 when i start venting the heat away with a fan to stop the intake sucking in exhaust (since they built the intake and vent right next to each other), my room gets pretty toasty.

When you get down to it, mining bitcoins is just like mining gold, solo mining that is, the probability in 100 years is, with a laptop like mine, i probably will find bitcoins, but thats 100 years. of course theres also probability that ill find every bitcoin ill ever find in that 100 years few they may be, within the first 2 weeks of mining.

I cant pool mine, my hardware just isnt up to it, even with free power, its still not worth the effort, but if i solo mine, theres a very real chance i could actually do it, at least once, and thats all the excuse i need.
I know without a doubt the initial plan, using the laptop to heat the room will work, in that, i did it and it worked.

What i dont know is what kind of mining power my laptop has.
Its a brand new qosmio x70 with "NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M 3GB (GDDR5)with Optimus + Intel® HD Graphics 4600", im pretty sure the GPU model is all that matters bit i thought ide give you the full set.
it has nothing loaded on it aside from chrome, direct X and some emulators, other than the preloaded bloatware. What kind of MH/s should i be able to get out of this?

The reason im asking this and not actually mining to see how fast it goes is because for the next 3 weeks im on mobile broadband, so, i cant afford to download the blockchain, though, once i have ADSL, i want to get into mining with my free electricity, with proper miners, not just a laptop, but i dont feel like spending any money atm.

Ill just note that i understand the unlikelyhood of doing anything productive with this, beyond generating heat that is, but i want to do it anyway, for novelty sake.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 08:54:17 AM

Best case scenario?

Get a time machine and go back 3 years and maybe you'd make a few pennies a day.

Sorry to be so glib. But GPU mining is loooooong passed for mining bitcoin. Even the best AMD GPUs (nvidia suck for mining) aren't making money except for, in some instances, obscure alt coins that have crazy pump and dumps.
ALToids

Activity: 519
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 11:19:25 AM

770M - as in mobile!?!  Grin

First of all nVidia (non Maxwell)?  really?  2nd, a laptop?

I won't be rude, but I'll be blunt - there is no point in trying to mine on a laptop.  It would make a few pennies in a month at the risk of a possible RMA.

To mine Bitcoin you need ASICs.  Either buy one or just keep reading on the forum.  Enjoy your laptop, don't kill it.
BitcoinHeroes

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:05:57 PM

You can use it to mine most profitable coin but make sure you underclock and maintain really good temperature like 60-70C so you don't spoil it.
ALToids

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 08:17:37 PM

You can use it to mine most profitable coin but make sure you underclock and maintain really good temperature like 60-70C so you don't spoil it.

To what effect?  Assuming $0.15 per KWh, he'll spend $9 a month and make roughly $4 if he has it underclocked to keep the GPU at 70C (I have a 770M in my 17 laptop and all I mined with it were CPU coins last year).

If you're going to spend $10/month, just buy a RBox and be happy with the small BTC it returns.  It won't jeopardize your $1k laptop either.
oldmanbeefjerky (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 01:01:54 AM

You seem to be missing the point here, firstly, i have free unlimited energy, figuratively, secondly, i dont really give a shirt about how much profit i make even though its going to be 100%, again, because i have free electricity, plus, it goes down to 7 celcius at night here, so temp control wont be an issue, i can underclock the computer though.

I dont care if i only make $4 a month, honestly, it doesnt matter i still want to do this, but first, i want to know, before i go and download the bitcoin block chain, what would my hash rate be?
xstr8guy

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 03:08:20 AM

You seem to be missing the point here, firstly, i have free unlimited energy, figuratively, secondly, i dont really give a shirt about how much profit i make even though its going to be 100%, again, because i have free electricity, plus, it goes down to 7 celcius at night here, so temp control wont be an issue, i can underclock the computer though.

I dont care if i only make $4 a month, honestly, it doesnt matter i still want to do this, but first, i want to know, before i go and download the bitcoin block chain, what would my hash rate be?

I guess we could continue to lecture you on the pointlessness of this exercise or just let you continue with your folly, lol. You aren't getting a straight answer because your question is ridiculous. Also, no one has probably tried mining BTC with your exact GPU.

But if I had to guess your hashrate, I'd say less that 100MHs based on the GPUs listed on this chart...
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Scroll way, way, WAY down and compare perhaps the GTX680. And then factor in that mobile GPUs are typically much poorer performing than desktop GPUs.

Your projected potential income at the current difficulty is 6 cents per month if you pool mine...
https://alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:27:03 AM

Cudaminer should give you 83MH/s which is mining Bitcoin will give you a whopping 4.6 cents per month.  I suggest you download the blockchain right now, you're missing out on fractions of a penny per day!
xstr8guy

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 05:02:43 AM

Cudaminer should give you 83MH/s which is mining Bitcoin will give you a whopping 4.6 cents per month.  I suggest you download the blockchain right now, you're missing out on fractions of a penny per day!

.153333 pennies per day. Better start looking seriously for new yachts!

On the bright side, the difficulty adjustments will be barely noticeable. You may also try to find a good alt coin (oxymoron?) to mine. You may be able to double your profits, providing that the algorithm supports Nvidia.
ALToids

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 08:14:58 AM

The only nvidia product that should be mining are the GTX 750/750Ti because the Maxwell architecture is ridiculously efficient and they improved the compute performance drastically.

One desktop GTX 750 can mine about 3x as much as your 770m.

If you really want to abuse your hardware, rent out the laptop and use the proceeds to buy coins.
oldmanbeefjerky (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 11:48:59 PM

well at that speed whats the point then.

i honestly thought i would have at least a little more than 150.

ALToids

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 02:47:01 AM

As I stated above you need to either use the nVidia GTX750 in a desktop or go to AMD.  AMD mobile GPUs can do 150MH/s or 150KH/s on scrypt - they're better optimized for scrypt.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 02:52:18 AM

About 1kh..per hour...

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 07:53:21 PM

There is no point, that's why everyone's been trying to dissuade you from doing it. You only stand to lose money and damage hardware by doing so.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
-droid-
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:54:11 PM

run ccminer on x13 with wafflepool and earn about 30 cents a day
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:37:11 AM

run ccminer on x13 with wafflepool and earn about 30 cents a day

You're smoking crack if you think a 770M is going to make $0.30/day.  It may not burn up the laptop compared to scrypt, but it will make more like $0.06/day and continue to go down as the price goes down and hashrate goes up.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: