Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:09:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Feature Request] Scammer sub forum  (Read 1593 times)
stochastic (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 05:47:50 AM
Last edit: March 12, 2012, 09:03:39 AM by stochastic

I noticed that many times the "SCAMMER" tag does not work well.  Either two things happen.

1.  A labeled scammer creates a new screen name to scam again.

2.  A labeled scammer does not have the ability to get their scamming status removed.

I propose a sub forum on bitcointalk.org that lists any new scammers that are named so by the moderators.  I know there is a topic that lists scammers, but I think a central thread would allow for better scammer identification.  My purpose is to give more of a stick to the "SCAMMER" tag as not only will the scammer be listed and all members of the community notified, but also I suggest that all IP addresses that they registered and/or logged into bitcointalk.org be listed as well.

I have no problem with people wanting to remain anonymous and I respect people's desire to be anonymous.  Anonymity is not a right, it is only a luxury and if someone is accused of scamming by a critical value of people or substantial evidence then victims can have a means to identify the scammer for possible restitution.

Also, it might be a stick to keep people from scamming in the first place.

Those that have scammed would have an area to pay back their victims.

I would be willing to volunteer to moderate and/or post the IP addresses under the supervision of this forums global moderators.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 03:03:30 PM

I noticed that many times the "SCAMMER" tag does not work well.  Either two things happen.

1.  A labeled scammer creates a new screen name to scam again.

2.  A labeled scammer does not have the ability to get their scamming status removed.

I propose a sub forum on bitcointalk.org that lists any new scammers that are named so by the moderators.  I know there is a topic that lists scammers, but I think a central thread would allow for better scammer identification.  My purpose is to give more of a stick to the "SCAMMER" tag as not only will the scammer be listed and all members of the community notified, but also I suggest that all IP addresses that they registered and/or logged into bitcointalk.org be listed as well.

I have no problem with people wanting to remain anonymous and I respect people's desire to be anonymous.  Anonymity is not a right, it is only a luxury and if someone is accused of scamming by a critical value of people or substantial evidence then victims can have a means to identify the scammer for possible restitution.

Also, it might be a stick to keep people from scamming in the first place.

Those that have scammed would have an area to pay back their victims.

I would be willing to volunteer to moderate and/or post the IP addresses under the supervision of this forums global moderators.
This sounds good, and with some modifications this could work! +1
stochastic (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 08:15:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I was thinking it could work in the following way.

1.  A potential victim of scamming makes a post in the Scammer sub-forum that lists what happened and their evidence.  The post thread would be open so that others may post if they were also scammed or have evidence of scamming by the accused, but they can only provide details of what happened.  No pointless comments or trolling would be accepted by the moderators.

2.  The sub-forum moderator(s) send a message to the accused scammer that shows that they have been accused of scamming with a link to the accusation.  The accused scammer would be given the opportunity to respond to the allegation of being guilty or innocence.  Again, moderators would only allow descriptions of what happened with supporting evidence.  Both parties would be encouraged to work out a deal to settle the matter.

3.  A poll and/or the scamming forum moderators would then decide in favor of the potential victim or accused scammer with expected amount that is to be owed to the victim if scamming is the judgement.

4.  If a judgement of scamming is found then the administrators would be notified to mark "SCAMMER" and to release their IP information.

5.  Other people would then be allowed to post any identifying information of the user so that the victim can have other avenues to be compensated if they wish.  At any time the scammer can pay back the judgement amount to the victim and the thread will be closed and their SCAMMER tag would be removed.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12873

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 08:45:48 PM

There's already a section mostly for discussion of scammers: "trading discussion". People are usually given scammer tags only after a topic about the person has been in Trading Discussion for a while.

The forum doesn't arbitrate disputes or handle justice. These are messy, complicated issues unrelated to forum moderation. Other people should independently handle these things. The scammer tag is designed to be the least-severe reasonable response to scamming. If I could do less in this area, I would.

1.  A labeled scammer creates a new screen name to scam again.

Scammer IPs are banned from registering new accounts. When scammers provably bypass this ban, their IP info can be released.

2.  A labeled scammer does not have the ability to get their scamming status removed.

As far as I can recall, there are no cases where someone incorrectly received a scammer tag. I'd like to keep it that way.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
stochastic (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 10:41:00 PM

There's already a section mostly for discussion of scammers: "trading discussion". People are usually given scammer tags only after a topic about the person has been in Trading Discussion for a while.

The forum doesn't arbitrate disputes or handle justice. These are messy, complicated issues unrelated to forum moderation. Other people should independently handle these things. The scammer tag is designed to be the least-severe reasonable response to scamming. If I could do less in this area, I would.

1.  A labeled scammer creates a new screen name to scam again.

Scammer IPs are banned from registering new accounts. When scammers provably bypass this ban, their IP info can be released.

2.  A labeled scammer does not have the ability to get their scamming status removed.

As far as I can recall, there are no cases where someone incorrectly received a scammer tag. I'd like to keep it that way.

fair enough.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: