Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 03:33:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Very severe blow to bitcoin  (Read 8733 times)
Skele

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:49:13 PM

Bitcoin is like the metal-concrete house of the three little pigs tale, no wolf can blow it up, except maybe the ones of Wall Street...
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:56:20 PM

When Gavin proposed the foundation a year or so before it was created the response here on this forum was overwhelmingly positive.  Only Theymos and a few others (myself included) voiced some concerns strongly enough to give the idea the thumbs down. 

Funny. I remember a spirited discussion with impassioned rhetoric both for and against...

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
xDan

Activity: 688
Merit: 500

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 09:07:43 PM

But why aren't we funding a full time core dev in a decentralised fashion, with voting etc, yet? Is it because really, we are all just whiners who won't actually put in the effort/resources to solve the problem?

Mike Hearn's already got something hacked up just for that purpose, seeing as the TBF has become an impotent group of RealCoin P&D's

http://www.coindesk.com/mike-hearn-wins-40000-bounty-bitcoin-core-crowdfunding/

Yeah, I look forward to seeing what happens there!

If we could just have one full time dev hired purely by some kind of more decentralised voting/polling system... This would seriously help in taking some of the responsibility away from the foundation. They can continue existing, do wtf they want, as long as Bitcoin's future is not entirely dependent on them.

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 09:33:07 PM

When Gavin proposed the foundation a year or so before it was created the response here on this forum was overwhelmingly positive.  Only Theymos and a few others (myself included) voiced some concerns strongly enough to give the idea the thumbs down. 

Funny. I remember a spirited discussion with impassioned rhetoric both for and against...

Anyone who cares to can read it and make up their own mind:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49841.0

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:15:08 PM

Title is wrong it should be "Very severe blow to the bitcoin foundation, Bitcoin unaffected"
Agree, nothing to do with bitcoin, people problems only
bitcoin foundation is nothing, its dust
Nathonas

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 10:24:00 PM

Are you bloody serious? The bitcoin foundation has almost jack all to do with bitcoin. I don't know how they started out, but for the last few years they've been nothing but a scam that took people's money to get rich. Andreas leaving them is a very, very good thing. The "Bitcoin" foundation stands for nothing but the enrichment of a few elite members.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:46:50 PM

Bitcoin is like the metal-concrete house of the three little pigs tale, no wolf can blow it up, except maybe the ones of Wall Street...
You mean, someone like Brock Pierce? 

Wired Magazine,  2008-12-04
A Drive Through Laurel Canyon With Brock Pierce
http://archive.wired.com/gaming/virtualworlds/magazine/16-12/ff_ige_pierce

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:50:51 PM

Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.

Mark Twain

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
ShameOnYou

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:19:43 PM

Andreas Antonop's tweet is the worst news yet that I've heard for bitcoin. 

Looks like Andreas is done with the Bitcoin Foundation. Good. Screw the Bitcoin Foundation.

"I can no longer have even the smallest association with the Bitcoin Foundation, because of the complete lack of transparency" https://twitter.com/aantonop/status/486926129409052672

The Bitcoin foundation has gained Pierce and lost Antonopolos.  This isn't going in the right direction at all.

What's the big deal around the bitcoin foundation? It's irrelevant to me. It would probably be irrelevant to the rest of you if you'd just stop paying it any mind! Meanwhile, bitcoin keeps on keeping on....
acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:22:04 PM

How does The Bitcoin Foundation even affect Bitcoin? Answer: It doesn't. That's like saying a small retailer stops accepting Bitcoin. Big woop. Only TBF is going down. About time people realize that they own nothing. No power.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:44:01 PM

How does The Bitcoin Foundation even affect Bitcoin? Answer: It doesn't. That's like saying a small retailer stops accepting Bitcoin. Big woop. Only TBF is going down. About time people realize that they own nothing. No power.
To people outside the bitcoin community, they are the identifiable "voice of bitcoin".  See that Wall Street Journal article.  Brock Pierce did not push his way into TBF and all the way to the top just for vanity.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2014, 12:09:27 AM

I suspect the OP really is the rawdog from Youtube.

If you look at his posting history, you will see he really likes master coin "because of the people behind it". He appears to have a strategy of investing in people, rather than specific technologies. That explains why he dismisses the importance of Bitcoin (the lead author was using a pseudonym and has left the project), while at the same time, elevates the importance of the Bitcoin Foundation. RawDog may have rightly pointed out that the BItcoin Foundation is now in trouble. Since he does not see any obvious leadership for Bitcoin, he concludes that Bitcoin must be in trouble as well.

I pointed out in a PM that mastercoin relies on Bitcoin. Don't recall a specific response to that.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:52:34 AM

Andreas Antonop's tweet is the worst news yet that I've heard for bitcoin. 

Looks like Andreas is done with the Bitcoin Foundation. Good. Screw the Bitcoin Foundation.

"I can no longer have even the smallest association with the Bitcoin Foundation, because of the complete lack of transparency" https://twitter.com/aantonop/status/486926129409052672

The Bitcoin foundation has gained Pierce and lost Antonopolos.  This isn't going in the right direction at all.

You make as if "The Bitcoin Foundation" is anything of substance to Bitcoin.

The Bitcoin Foundation could die and never be spoken of ever again and it wouldn't affect the protocol of Bitcoin.

Boooyah!  Grin Grin Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:54:21 AM

I suspect the OP really is the rawdog from Youtube.

If you look at his posting history, you will see he really likes master coin "because of the people behind it". He appears to have a strategy of investing in people, rather than specific technologies. That explains why he dismisses the importance of Bitcoin (the lead author was using a pseudonym and has left the project), while at the same time, elevates the importance of the Bitcoin Foundation. RawDog may have rightly pointed out that the BItcoin Foundation is now in trouble. Since he does not see any obvious leadership for Bitcoin, he concludes that Bitcoin must be in trouble as well.

I pointed out in a PM that mastercoin relies on Bitcoin. Don't recall a specific response to that.

I guess if Gold doesn't have leadership then it is going to be in trouble right?

TBF =/= Bitcoin in any way shape or form. In fact I do not support or endorse TBF.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 02:34:14 AM

Anyone who cares to can read it and make up their own mind:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49841.0

That was merely the trial balloon. A lot of water passed under the bridge between that initial public brainstorm, and the actual announcement of TBF. See for example https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113400.msg1224721#msg1224721

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
dopecoindude
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

The Dude Of DopeCoin

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2014, 02:47:59 AM

Someone is trying to bring down Bitcoin!

I have a feeling its the creator behind RealCoin ....a  TBF member also... Shocked

On a side note.....anyone know if any good coin dev's lol ....looking for one for this coin:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=467641.msg7779997#msg7779997

send me a PM. Thanks!

It is here folks. DopeCoinGOLD . The #1 Crypto-Weed Coin.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 02:56:18 AM

All the core developers who were with Bitcoin at the beginning are starting to leave, this could actually affect the price, especially if the Bitcoin foundation still has the ability to fuck with the network unless the community can create their own fork we all agree on.

What are you talking about? The Foundation is entirely separate from the Bitcoin Core development group. They don't have any power over the network.

Except 3 of them are paid by the foundation. When you pay someone a salary they become your employee. I have a tendency to do what my boss tells me to do.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 02:57:49 AM

All the core developers who were with Bitcoin at the beginning are starting to leave, this could actually affect the price, especially if the Bitcoin foundation still has the ability to fuck with the network unless the community can create their own fork we all agree on.

What are you talking about? The Foundation is entirely separate from the Bitcoin Core development group. They don't have any power over the network.

Except 3 of them are paid by the foundation. When you pay someone a salary they become your employee. I have a tendency to do what my boss tells me to do.

QuestionAuthority, do you realize you were quoted by Coindesk?

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 02:58:53 AM

No? Do you have a link?

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 02:59:38 AM

No? Do you have a link?

http://www.coindesk.com/new-study-low-bitcoin-transaction-fees-unsustainable/

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: