Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:14:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So.. Chase shutdown my College Checking account  (Read 6943 times)
joshv06 (OP)

Activity: 991
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 11:38:55 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2014, 08:32:47 PM by joshv06

I'm 22 and I do local BTC transactions on the side.

**AUDIO**

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0u4rwNFT0A4

At the beginning of the Audio, I asked for my ID back. She was holding it behind the glass and would not give it back after I asked repeatedly before the audio.

"I hate to say this, but it's best that you cooperate"

"Times have changed, to be honest with you, after 9/11 you have to disclose everything" (not in the audio, if someone really doesn't trust me on this part, I will upload it but it is hard to hear)

-Chase Manager

I was trying to do a withdraw at Chase, the teller called the manager over and she started taking a while. I asked if there was a problem, she wouldn't answer. I felt like I was being treated like a criminal.

The manager started asking me what I was going to do with my money, I politely told her that I value my privacy and would like to keep it to myself.

She told me that I am moving too much money for a college account and that college students usually do small transactions like food or books. She then brought up 9/11 and terrorism saying that they have to keep track of who has what money.

I have most of it recorded, but we are living in a total nanny state, it is disgusting.

In the end, she told me that they closed my account and that I would get a check in the mail with all of my money.

From now on, I am going to live on Cash and Bitcoin. I don't think I will be opening a banking account for a while. I know that might sound crazy, but I can manage.

Long live Bitcoin

ETA: I hope this is the right section

D A I L Y -  C R Y P T O  -  G I V E W A Y S
▬▬ ●●     Your source for daily free giveaways !    ●● ▬▬
DISCORD    -    TWITTER    -    WEBSITE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 12:22:41 AM

Are you using Coinbase too much to buy Bitcoin or is this something entirely different? I'm not really getting a feel for why they perked their eyes up as much.
joshv06 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 12:34:52 AM

Are you using Coinbase too much to buy Bitcoin or is this something entirely different? I'm not really getting a feel for why they perked their eyes up as much.

I do a bit of coinbase, quickpay.

They also closed my Uncle's account last year. He's in the oil industry.

TheJohn

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:14:00 AM

Your uncle also having a lot of bitcoin transaction?
joshv06 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:30:12 AM

Your uncle also having a lot of bitcoin transaction?

Nope, he's on the rich side and does international transactions.

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:51:48 AM

Perhaps they targeted you because you could be perceived to be from another country, no offense. I've definitely done my fair share of Coinbase swaps and my tellers don't even bat an eye when I stroll through. Coinbase is becoming a respected brand so I can't see why any banks would be hating on it.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:56:21 AM

Why would you want to have an account at a bank (or any business) that treats its customers like that? Also, if you want to close my account you better give me my cash right now instead of a check in the mail (which costs fees to collect).

That they even ask about what you'll do with the money is ludicrous. None of your fucking business, that's what.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:19:33 AM

Perhaps they targeted you because you could be perceived to be from another country, no offense. I've definitely done my fair share of Coinbase swaps and my tellers don't even bat an eye when I stroll through. Coinbase is becoming a respected brand so I can't see why any banks would be hating on it.
If he has a lot of coinbase transactions it could look like he has kiting money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_kiting

This spot for rent.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:27:23 AM

"Times have changed, to be honest with you, after 9/11 you have to disclose everything"

-Chase Manager

Long live Bitcoin

Just because its chase bank probably since I've read a few threads about them closing accounts although if a chase bank manager said that to me I would say this is not the Nixon Era of Politics my good sir and wikileaks has proven that privacy and our constitution still ring true today.

I bid you good day and wish your bank a pox.  

That said if its just too much money moving AML/KYC flags would be tagged recommend trying a Credit Union if you haven't had a bad experience with them as well.
http://amlcompliance.com/2013/09/17/why-you-must-know-your-customer-the-red-flags-of-initial-customer-information/

General I'll add your case to the list
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=264679.0

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
joshv06 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 05:58:19 AM

I will post bits of the recording shortly. It's one party consent for conversation recording here in Texas.

joshv06 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 06:28:44 AM

The 9/11 part was not put it, there was some guy laughing in the back that muffled her voice.

I did not include the part where she said that my account was closed and I would get a check in the mail with my money.

Towards the end, I began to question how I would pay for stuff like gas and food. A lightbulb came to my head and I thought about cash.

Do they still make those BTC debit cards? For online transactions that don't accept BTC. I want to try to stay away from a bank if possible.

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 06:32:13 AM

That looks cleaner was looking at a bunch of HREF code Smiley
So pretty much too much money in a College Account moving around raised the flag, guess in this modern age we have drug dealers and Bitcoiners but Chase doesn't know much about the second group  Cool

joshv06 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 06:34:14 AM

Before the Audio, she wouldn't give me my ID from behind the counter. I had to stay there until they closed for her to give me back.

Also, what if I was just a rich 1% college kid (which i'm not)? Do they get their accounts closed?

Also, off the Audio, she said that this wouldn't have happened if I had a regular checking account. Which is untrue because the closed my uncles account. Maybe they think we're sending money south of the border. Either way, I know they are a private corporation and have the right to not to business with me and vice versa. But this whole Post-9/11 thing is ridiculous.

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 06:38:55 AM
Last edit: July 10, 2014, 06:59:14 AM by freedomno1

Before the Audio, she wouldn't give me my ID from behind the counter. I had to stay there until they closed for her to give me back.

I agree with you on that one it shouldn't matter too much how much the balance is.
Absent that evidence confiscating your stuff is not nice

The 9/11 part was not put it, there was some guy laughing in the back that muffled her voice.

I did not include the part where she said that my account was closed and I would get a check in the mail with my money.

Towards the end, I began to question how I would pay for stuff like gas and food. A lightbulb came to my head and I thought about cash.

Do they still make those BTC debit cards? For online transactions that don't accept BTC. I want to try to stay away from a bank if possible.

I wanted to hear the 9/11 part myself but a guy laughing in the back I think can be audio filtered but I got the gist of that.

And Yes they do Cavirtex has them but for Canadian accounts I think you can use Vault (sort of restrictive but it did mention Texas)
https://www.vaultofsatoshi.com/verification

Depends the US is a mess presently.

United States

We're currently not allowing US residents to trade, with the following exceptions:

Residents of South Carolina are able to have fully verified accounts and trade for any currencies on the exchange.
Residents of Texas are not able to have verified accounts, but are able to trade between cryptocurrencies.
We're working to allow more states to trade, and will make announcements as they become eligible.

There are probably other legit places that can load to debit or credit but not sure which ones they are myself maybe the Xapos its new
http://www.pymnts.com/news/2014/xapo-ready-to-ship-bitcoin-debit-cards/#.U744SvldWyk
http://www.coindesk.com/xapo-bitcoin-debit-card-launch-month/
https://xapo.com/home/
http://help.xapo.com/categories/5988-Debit-Card/questions

joshv06 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 07:02:43 AM

Thanks dude! I will look into the Xapo debit card!

MisterDD

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 07:10:05 AM

When I read your story, then I realize in what world we live.
I have some feeling that we live in some kind of a cage of politics, where all want to have fully control over every person.
If people do not like someone, they will just eliminate him from race to success.
What to say more?
bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 07:12:19 AM

**AUDIO**

"Times have changed, to be honest with you, after 9/11 you have to disclose everything" (not in the audio, if someone really doesn't trust me on this part, I will upload it but it is hard to hear)

-Chase Manager

I was trying to do a withdraw at Chase, the teller called the manager over and she started taking a while. I asked if there was a problem, she wouldn't answer. I felt like I was being treated like a criminal.

The manager started asking me what I was going to do with my money, I politely told her that I value my privacy and would like to keep it to myself.

She told me that I am moving too much money for a college account and that college students usually do small transactions like food or books. She then brought up 9/11 and terrorism saying that they have to keep track of who has what money.

I have most of it recorded, but we are living in a total nanny state, it is disgusting.

In the end, she told me that they closed my account and that I would get a check in the mail with all of my money.

From now on, I am going to live on Cash and Bitcoin. I don't think I will be opening a banking account for a while. I know that might sound crazy, but I can manage.

Long live Bitcoin

Sad that Chase does not support innovation. It is ridiculous that your account is blocked, as you are the owner of the money.
Do you at least get your money back?

joshv06 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 07:21:34 AM

**AUDIO**

-Chase Manager

Long live Bitcoin

Sad that Chase does not support innovation. It is ridiculous that your account is blocked, as you are the owner of the money.
Do you at least get your money back?

They are sending me a check in the mail. But everything tied to my card such as my toll road sticker, I will have to make changes.

When I read your story, then I realize in what world we live.
I have some feeling that we live in some kind of a cage of politics, where all want to have fully control over every person.
If people do not like someone, they will just eliminate him from race to success.
What to say more?

That is exactly what I was feeling.

Honestly, we have now turned to a guilty until proven innocent place. Where we should give up privacy if we have nothing to hide.

I remember passing through a border checkpoint "Post 9/11" (not even at the border) with my family when I was younger, my mom would tell us to sit up straight and act normal and not to whisper to eachother so we wouldn't look suspicious.

My mom has since woken up, as well as everyone else in my immediate family. About half of my extended family has as well.

I guess with a bank, it's the same as not having your Private key. If you don't have your cash or your private key with you, you're not in control of your money, someone else is.

It's amazing the minute percentage of bad apples that keeps the rest of us under all of this crap.

I really hope BTC becomes mainstream soon. For now, I will go cash/BTC.

joshv06 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 07:49:26 AM

This is how I really felt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFoPPx5H0Dw

ALToids

Activity: 519

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:45:34 AM

Lol good old Chase.  I hate that bank with a passion.  Still have a mortgage with them after they bought out a Met Life mortgage - trying to pay it down as fast as I can.

This is the same bank that was doing a LGBT litmus for it's employees:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/faith-and-morals/item/18651-jpmorgan-chase-surveys-employees-about-support-for-lgbt-agenda

This is the same bank that went after active duty military families:
http://www.npr.org/2011/01/19/133036957/bank-overcharged-military-families-on-mortgages

Bastards advertised a 0% business loan for me once and I spent 4 hours reading all the fine print, 3 months later they claimed they changed the terms and the rate was now 14%.  What business borrows at 14%.  And they sent a document in the mail non-registered, no signature.

Call you local TV station and nail their ass to the wall!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: