Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:48:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive RockMiner R3-Box Setup [HD]  (Read 22019 times)
ceslick

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

digging in the bits... now ant powered!

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2014, 03:17:33 AM

That sux...

Low hashrate or just not working?

http://www.integratedideas.net  - Home of Rock Solid Miners
NZ Based BTC P2Pool: http://www.integratedideas.net/p2pool-btc/  -  NZ Based DOGE P2Pool: http://www.integratedideas.net/p2pool-doge/
Cloud mining with CEX.IO: https://cex.io/r/2/ceslicknz/0/
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2014, 03:34:23 AM

That sux...

Low hashrate or just not working?

Not working.

WheresWaldo

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:09:32 AM

Any chance you will add a LINUX CGMINER COMPILE to this guide?

∎               GAWMiners The Hashlet World's first digital cloud miner!
∎∎∎   No pool fees Instant activation Never obsolete Always profitable
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 09:59:42 AM

Do you mean raspbian based?

WheresWaldo

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 08:33:19 PM

Yes, or just a simple linux whether arch/debian/ubuntu, that provides a solid miner in which there aren't issues following the instructions Sad

I've tried configuring others through compile and I end up with icarus options not being enabled. I am sure there is many people who would prefer their own raspbi running whatever they want instead of forcing rock's webui to take over one pi

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 10:04:53 PM

Yes, or just a simple linux whether arch/debian/ubuntu, that provides a solid miner in which there aren't issues following the instructions Sad

I've tried configuring others through compile and I end up with icarus options not being enabled. I am sure there is many people who would prefer their own raspbi running whatever they want instead of forcing rock's webui to take over one pi

I'm pretty busy at the moment, and haven't as these come with their own Pi and OS. If you want to make your own CGminer, you can combine the noncetech guide with the cgminer part of the r-box guide, skipping over zadig.

terrapinflyer

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 01:24:19 AM

Thanks for the set-up guide again, Just got my 2 miners up in minutes!
I am seeing alot of rejects rite now, I just updated the firmware Im hoping that helps.
Im also wondering what feq you are all set to, I cant seem to get up over 440gh/s on one machine.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 01:35:52 AM

Thanks for the set-up guide again, Just got my 2 miners up in minutes!
I am seeing alot of rejects rite now, I just updated the firmware Im hoping that helps.
Im also wondering what feq you are all set to, I cant seem to get up over 440gh/s on one machine.

430 is pretty standard due to the rejects at the moment. They need to fix it for us to go up.

WheresWaldo

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 08:18:21 AM

Dogie, by any chance could I motivate you in creating some form of additional cooling to the R3 Box guide? Smiley

Maybe compiling a list of different types of heatsinks (purchased cheap) that can be applied all around the different things of the miner, such as mosfets, to provide additional cooling and possibly prolong the life of the unit?

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 08:56:49 PM

Dogie, by any chance could I motivate you in creating some form of additional cooling to the R3 Box guide? Smiley

Maybe compiling a list of different types of heatsinks (purchased cheap) that can be applied all around the different things of the miner, such as mosfets, to provide additional cooling and possibly prolong the life of the unit?

Mosfets and vregs are designed to operate up to 125C so it won't make a difference. I'm also not a fan of adding hovering metal components to a PCB when not required (hence I never recommended 32 of them on the S1...).

What will make a difference is adding a 4 pin fan onto the other end to get rid of the huge temperature difference between the front and back boards. The header is split pin so you can't use any old fan.

terrapinflyer

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 09:38:11 PM

After waking up to the rig running at 650gh/s and one bank of chips not showing any details I shut the entire system down. After the reset all is well and hashing higher then before. 

Freq 320M
WheresWaldo

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 10:18:16 PM

Mosfets and vregs are designed to operate up to 125C so it won't make a difference. I'm also not a fan of adding hovering metal components to a PCB when not required (hence I never recommended 32 of them on the S1...).

What will make a difference is adding a 4 pin fan onto the other end to get rid of the huge temperature difference between the front and back boards. The header is split pin so you can't use any old fan.

indeed, the fan I agree with, the rest not so much.

Just because something is rated to 125C doesn't mean it performs at it's best or longest when pushed to the limits. These units don't have 2year warranty or even 1year warranty so my goal is not having to repair popped/melted/oozing capacitors or burnt mosfets. Same goes for using 1299w on a 1300w power supply. There is a reason people use good thermal adhesive Wink I wouldn't want a heatsink falling on my board creating some fireworks!

I do appreciate you responding I will just take the guide for what it is and keep the rest towards the community

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 10:37:23 PM

Just because something is rated to 125C doesn't mean it performs at it's best or longest when pushed to the limits. These units don't have 2year warranty or even 1year warranty so my goal is not having to repair popped/melted/oozing capacitors or burnt mosfets. Same goes for using 1299w on a 1300w power supply. There is a reason people use good thermal adhesive Wink I wouldn't want a heatsink falling on my board creating some fireworks!

I do appreciate you responding I will just take the guide for what it is and keep the rest towards the community

Get yourself an infrared temp probe and have a look at some of the board temps. I'd be surprised if you saw components over 70C. In terms of failure rates, that's statistically insignificant compared to 50C. You're probably more likely to cause damage trying to mess with them then letting them do their own things. They will not be the source of your failure.

WheresWaldo

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 11:17:21 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2014, 07:01:29 AM by WheresWaldo

Get yourself an infrared temp probe and have a look at some of the board temps. I'd be surprised if you saw components over 70C. In terms of failure rates, that's statistically insignificant compared to 50C. You're probably more likely to cause damage trying to mess with them then letting them do their own things. They will not be the source of your failure.
You are right, I should probably get a probe and see what is running the hottest so I can apply the proper heat sinks and proper adhesives.

Any chance you know of the safe/recommended/max temperatures of the chips themselves?

terrapinflyer

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 05:47:03 AM

is there any way to check log files on the official pi image?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 08:19:06 AM

Not via the interface, which is so cut down that I doubt the ssh is going to be that usable.

terrapinflyer

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 07:23:51 PM

Not via the interface, which is so cut down that I doubt the ssh is going to be that usable.

Bummer I think Ill be making a new sd today with cgminer on it.
klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 12:47:10 AM

Anyone experience 3 blades hashing well but the other blade seems to be asleep>? I remember this was a problem with the Gridseed blade as well. Any suggestions are welcome.
terrapinflyer

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:29:59 AM

Anyone experience 3 blades hashing well but the other blade seems to be asleep>? I remember this was a problem with the Gridseed blade as well. Any suggestions are welcome.

Yea I just power everything down and restart that usually fixes it. I have been having more stability problems lately they seem to be getting worse. I have a pi on each unit and they crash a few times a day. I have not had the time to load cgminer on raspian but Im going to try tonight.
klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 10:40:23 AM

Yea I just power everything down and restart that usually fixes it. I have been having more stability problems lately they seem to be getting worse. I have a pi on each unit and they crash a few times a day. I have not had the time to load cgminer on raspian but Im going to try tonight.

Unplugging the usb cable of the sleeping blade for a second helps to get them detected as well.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: