Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:06:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: I was hacked (1170btc stolen) - 500btc max BOUNTY  (Read 35618 times)
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 07:46:56 AM

I still feel, we need to support Klee in every way we can, because WE might be the next victim, and then we will need the same support from this community.

I'm finding it difficult to muster up sympathy on this one. Klee wasn't tricked or scammed, he left the gold on the windowsill, in plain view, window wide open for anyone to take. Which they did.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tmobileguy

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 07:51:40 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2014, 08:07:31 AM by tmobileguy

I still feel, we need to support Klee in every way we can, because WE might be the next victim, and then we will need the same support from this community.

I'm finding it difficult to muster up sympathy on this one. Klee wasn't tricked or scammed, he left the gold on the windowsill, in plain view, window wide open for anyone to take. Which they did.

That's like saying that a girl that wears a dress invites rapists, so its not the rapist's fault if they rape her. It's insane...

Klee didn't TWEET out his private key, he kept it secure in a dropbox that only he had a password to...Not the best security practice but not worthy of being stolen from...
tmobileguy

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 08:06:46 AM

As far as mixers,

mixers are not money laundering schemes by default...they are set up to provide autonomy and privacy and have many legal and reasonable reasons to be used....Not all government laws are justified and thus concealing the source of your money, whether from unjust individuals, entities, or government agencies is something everyone should have protection from...So I have no issue with mixers...

But someone who facilitates the commission of a theft, by helping the thief in any way, is guilty of conspiring with the theft...And thats what bitmixer.io is guilty of and that is where mixers go from operating legally to illegally...

Bitmixer admitted that the coins were used by the hacker, and then said that they refused to turn over any logbooks or information about knowing that fact...They didn't just say "we don't have any records anymore", they went further then that by saying that "they would never turn over the records of any client, even in this situation"...

that is admitting that you would be willing to conceal the source of a crime, even if you knew it was taking place and you were party to it...That's illegal, and that is prima facia evidence towards the mindset of bitmixer.io's and how they run their business....

Mixers are fine, but bitmixer.io participated in a crime...and nobody on this forum should endorse that, because this type of criminal activity puts your own coins at risk...not from being stolen but from being devalued...

We always complain the bitcoin security is one of biggest hurdles to adoption, and standing behind a company that helps facilitate that, is hurting your own pocketbook by slowing down the process of mass adoption of bitcoin....
omgbossis21

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 08:48:55 AM

Hopefully some ip addresses come up some where on this guy....
ThomasVeil

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 08:50:36 AM

Is there a way to make one of the postings here sticky so it is seen on every page?

I think it would help if such a post had the current details: All of the addresses and tx, all of the details that were found out so far (the godaddy address if there is still a chance of connection). That way new visitors can see what's going on - don't have to ask for repetitions of what happened (or read 25 pages of discussions) - and rather take action.

Find it a bit sad that this is going into a basically unrelated question - instead of going and helping Klee find this guy.
It's pretty clear by now this was not an expert - and he had reasons to be scared, so there is something out there to get him ... oh and frickin 500 BTC in the process.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 08:51:54 AM

That's like saying that a girl that wears a dress invites rapists, so its not the rapist's fault if they rape her. It's insane...

Klee didn't TWEET out his private key, he kept it secure in a dropbox that only he had a password to...Not the best security practice but not worthy of being stolen from...

No I never suggested theft was justified at all. Theft is theft, nobody is disputing that.

I find it disturbing the words 'dropbox' and 'secure' are being used in the same sentence.

tmobileguy

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:14:43 AM

I find it disturbing the words 'dropbox' and 'secure' are being used in the same sentence.

lol...me too....I am the one that did it!

But seriously, Klee is a perfect example of this....Klee has shown through the process of pursuit of the hacker that he is no dummy and definitely possesses a lot of common sense...yet he choose to secure his bitcoins through dropbox (there, i did it again lol)....just goes to show that people in their daily lives just don't think about the consequences that something could incur... I'm sure Klee never dreamed anything like this would happen yet it did...

But it doesn't mean Klee is stupid and that he deserved the coins to get jacked, just means he made an error....its something us humanas do from time to time...
indiguy

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:18:19 AM

If they knew it comes from stealing, then trueley this is owned by someone else. and must be returned.
kashish948
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:20:43 AM

did not read all the 25 pages..............was anyone able to find him?
The Avenger

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:08:08 AM

As far as mixers,

mixers are not money laundering schemes by default...they are set up to provide autonomy and privacy and have many legal and reasonable reasons to be used....Not all government laws are justified and thus concealing the source of your money, whether from unjust individuals, entities, or government agencies is something everyone should have protection from...So I have no issue with mixers...

But someone who facilitates the commission of a theft, by helping the thief in any way, is guilty of conspiring with the theft...And thats what bitmixer.io is guilty of and that is where mixers go from operating legally to illegally...

Bitmixer admitted that the coins were used by the hacker, and then said that they refused to turn over any logbooks or information about knowing that fact...They didn't just say "we don't have any records anymore", they went further then that by saying that "they would never turn over the records of any client, even in this situation"...

that is admitting that you would be willing to conceal the source of a crime, even if you knew it was taking place and you were party to it...That's illegal, and that is prima facia evidence towards the mindset of bitmixer.io's and how they run their business....

Mixers are fine, but bitmixer.io participated in a crime...and nobody on this forum should endorse that, because this type of criminal activity puts your own coins at risk...not from being stolen but from being devalued...

We always complain the bitcoin security is one of biggest hurdles to adoption, and standing behind a company that helps facilitate that, is hurting your own pocketbook by slowing down the process of mass adoption of bitcoin....

+1000
"mixers are not money laundering schemes by default" - exactly. But if you choose to operate them as a money laundering service, then they become a money laundering service.

"that is admitting that you would be willing to conceal the source of a crime, even if you knew it was taking place and you were party to it...That's illegal, and that is prima facia evidence towards the mindset of bitmixer.io's and how they run their business...."
Exactly.

"Mixers are fine, but bitmixer.io participated in a crime...and nobody on this forum should endorse that, because this type of criminal activity puts your own coins at risk...not from being stolen but from being devalued..."
Absolutely. If bitcoin community if all stories of theft, blackmail and money-laundering, who the f*&k will buy into it other than more criminals?? It'll massively damage bitcoin in the long run.

"We always complain the bitcoin security is one of biggest hurdles to adoption, and standing behind a company that helps facilitate that, is hurting your own pocketbook by slowing down the process of mass adoption of bitcoin...."
You got it all here. Best post on this topic. At least someone get's it.

"I am not The Avenger"
1AthxGvreWbkmtTXed6EQfjXMXXdSG7dD6
The Avenger

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:24:22 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2014, 10:35:12 AM by The Avenger

Right.

In any case, no one would risk using an "honest" mixer.
Bullshit. You can't speak for everyone. What "risk" is there?

If I wanted to mix coins for privacy, would I go to a mixing service related to a string of the thefts, which openly admits money laundering? Or a mixing service where I can put a face to the operation, someone who is open about what they do and does their best to make sure they don't ever handle stolen funds. One which has a solid reputation for playing fair with everyone. Call me boring, but I'd go for the second option, because it's actually lower risk.

Who was that guy who used to do (or still does) escrows? Johnk? People sent him tens, hundreds and thousands of bitcoin to hold in trust, because even though they never met the guy, he had a reputation for being honest. So stop knocking honesty like it's a bad or naive thing.

The fact that they have a policy that enables them to, unto themselves, confiscate and redistribute deposited money based on a (quite possibly arbitrary) link to a theft, would scare any "honest" customers away.
You see, I knew you would just assume the "honest" mixer would confiscate stolen coins. *I* *never* *said* *that*.

I actually think it would work more like escrows service. Send coins to mixer. No issues, coins get mixed. Send coins to mixer. Claims of theft. Mixer sends coins back to original address after 7 days. Then we know the thief still has the stolen coins. And this will allow seven days for the genuine owner to track down the thief etc.

It's not the mixer services job to be the police. But if they have any doubts, they should refuse to handle the coins. If all mixer services operated this way, then a theft would have no way to launder stolen coins and it would make it very hard to do anything with those coins without getting caught.

Again, these are only work-in-progress ideas, but for those saying it's impossible I'm trying to provide answers. Speaking of which:

Hey lemme get this straight. So you come up with an idea that doesn't work, argue that it should be the way things are done, even though you can't figure out how to make it work. And you are arguing.....why? Oh ya, to convince a bunch a bitcoiners that money laundering is a crime. Huh
Dickish comment. I did not come up with an idea that doesn't work - it's not worked out in full detail is all. Big difference!

I see absolutely no reason this idea wouldn't work. I also think it would be very good for bitcoin to have some more fucking honest and trustworthy players.

Those who see faults in it don't seem to trust anyone. There is nothing anyone can do for you. Except say "Look out! Who is that behind you??!! They are going to steal your bitcoin!! Sleep with one eye open!"  Grin Wink

"I am not The Avenger"
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 12:11:13 PM

C'm'on folks, abstractions only go so far... bitcoin mixer operators know very well that they are being used for money laundering, and they warmly welcome that clientele.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 12:13:19 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2014, 12:39:51 PM by jonald_fyookball

I actually think it would work more like escrows service. Send coins to mixer. No issues, coins get mixed. Send coins to mixer. Claims of theft. Mixer sends coins back to original address after 7 days. Then we know the thief still has the stolen coins. And this will allow seven days for the genuine owner to track down the thief etc. D Wink

As always, let the free market decide.  There is nothing stopping a mixing service from operating like that now.

I'll tell you why it won't work:

1.  Few people will use that service when they can choose a mixing service that gives you coins back quickly.  Who wants to wait 7 days?  It also feels a bit big-brotherish to me.

2.  More people might be persuaded to use the escrow-mixing scheme you describe if that were sufficient to stop thieves.  Unfortunately, it won't be.  Thieves will simply sit on the coins, find other ways to mix them, or just use another mixer, possibly a darknet mixer.

The Avenger

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 12:45:12 PM

1.  Few people will use that service when they can choose a mixing service that gives you coins back quickly.  Who wants to wait 7 days?  It also feels a bit big-brotherish to me.
Fine, don't use it then. As I said earlier:

If I wanted to mix coins for privacy, would I go to a mixing service related to a string of the thefts, which openly admits money laundering? Or a mixing service where I can put a face to the operation, someone who is open about what they do and does their best to make sure they don't ever handle stolen funds. One which has a solid reputation for playing fair with everyone. Call me boring, but I'd go for the second option, because it's actually lower risk.

A lot of people would prefer lower risk. And also not to fund criminals.

2.  More people might be persuaded to use the escrow-mixing scheme you describe if that were sufficient to stop thieves.  Unfortunately, it won't be.  Thieves will simply sit on the coins, find other ways to mix them, or simply use another mixer, possibly a darknet mixer.

Again, fine. Thieves can use an illegal service, knowing it run by and for criminals. They just have to face facts they knew they were doing it when they ever get arrested. Any claims to innocence falls apart if you knowingly deal with criminals.

So you haven't told me "why it won't work".

All I can see is basically a lot of people in this thread mistrust everyone else in the bitcoin community. You know what would help clear that up? Honest bitcoin services you could trust, from known legitimate players Wink

Banks would be totally criminal organisations, if they didn't have to answer to anyone. I think that's pretty obvious when you see how they operate. The fact they are made to abide by some rules is what keeps them honest, not because they are inherently honest.

"I am not The Avenger"
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2014, 12:48:35 PM

If they are US based they really need to change their view because it is money laundering, a court in the silk road cased said it is and that could easily be used in a suit. I say KLEE brings a lawsuit up against Bitmixer.io (he now has enough funds to cover the initial cost) and i am sure they would give the information over soon enough.

This money laundering has both merits and demerits. We can't tell them to close laundering but they can make it more better especially when someone ask laundering a great amount of BTC. It is really bad that this service utilizing in a worst way. Sad
Kindly,
       MZ

BitsBitsBits

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 12:50:56 PM

That's more like saying that a girl that wears a provocative dress gets raped and there is no evidence of who did it and the girl doesn't even know what the other person looks like. Cheesy

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — The real dice experience | Provably Fair | Free BTC Faucet ⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 12:51:58 PM

Fine, don't use it then. As I said earlier:

A lot of people would prefer lower risk. And also not to fund criminals.

2.  More people might be persuaded to use the escrow-mixing scheme you describe if that were sufficient to stop thieves.  Unfortunately, it won't be.  Thieves will simply sit on the coins, find other ways to mix them, or simply use another mixer, possibly a darknet mixer.

Again, fine. Thieves can use an illegal service, knowing it run by and for criminals. They just have to face facts they knew they were doing it when they ever get arrested. Any claims to innocence falls apart if you knowingly deal with criminals.

So you haven't told me "why it won't work".

All I can see is basically a lot of people in this thread mistrust everyone else in the bitcoin community. You know what would help clear that up? Honest bitcoin services you could trust, from known legitimate players Wink

I think it wouldn't work because it would be uncompetitive with services that give you coins more quickly and with less hassle.

However, I can always be wrong.  Try starting such a service if you have the resources to do so.

BitsBitsBits

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 12:52:29 PM

That's a large sum to lose though, hope you get it back fully soon. Very entertaining thread, btw. It's like an episode of CIS except everything is about cryptocurrencies. Cheesy

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — The real dice experience | Provably Fair | Free BTC Faucet ⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
The Avenger

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 01:00:38 PM

That's a large sum to lose though, hope you get it back fully soon. Very entertaining thread, btw. It's like an episode of CIS except everything is about cryptocurrencies. Cheesy
lol, yeah.

I hope the multiple leads that are being followed are leading to our sweat drenched hacker.

Maybe he/she thinks it's been a few days and they probably got away with it?

That's always the point they get busted  Cheesy

All that's really happened is the hacker lost the very generous offer to keep 10%.

Now they will lose 100%+, their freedom and any question of mercy.

Fool(s).

"I am not The Avenger"
Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 01:13:28 PM

lol, yeah.

I hope the multiple leads that are being followed are leading to our sweat drenched hacker.

Maybe he/she thinks it's been a few days and they probably got away with it?

That's always the point they get busted  Cheesy

All that's really happened is the hacker lost the very generous offer to keep 10%.

Now they will lose 100%+, their freedom and any question of mercy.

Fool(s).

Let's get real here, though. Hundreds of people have stolen large sums of BTC from other people through hacking. How many times have these hackers been brought to justice thanks to people keeping track of the movement of the coins?

He'll get away with this large sum of BTC. It's a shame, but it's reality.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: