Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:10:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory-like SPV wallet?  (Read 2423 times)
BawsyBoss (OP)

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 12:24:15 AM

Is there any SPV client with the same wallet functionality as Armory? I took a look at Electrum and Multibit, but they're both missing some features I need.

Forever strong.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 02:11:30 AM

What features are you looking for?

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2015, 09:16:15 AM

Bumping this thread because I like Armory's fragmented backup, but I just cannot devote 80 Gb of disk for blockchain + Armory cache. I tried Electrum's multisig, but I don't understand it: I need to add other signers' master key.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 02:52:21 PM

Bumping this thread because I like Armory's fragmented backup, but I just cannot devote 80 Gb of disk for blockchain + Armory cache. I tried Electrum's multisig, but I don't understand it: I need to add other signers' master key.

Most, if not all, SPV wallets are based on seeds... You can fragment that seed. As for fragment security I'm not sure what would be possible to do. Maybe hash the seed? Or maybe scramble the words.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 04:38:45 PM

Is there any SPV client with the same wallet functionality as Armory?

No. You can't have the same functionality (extremely high security) with a SPV client.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2015, 06:35:26 AM

Is there any SPV client with the same wallet functionality as Armory?

No. You can't have the same functionality (extremely high security) with a SPV client.
I read that SPV has security issues but I failed to understand them. The only thing that could happen is to lie about transactions, but in any case your money won't disappear. Can you give me an example of an actually damaging situation coming for the use of SPV? I understand that using an SPV means not doing our share at strenghtening the network, which has a impact of the security as a whole but I'd like something more down to earth.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
Crowley2k

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 07:05:41 AM

Well..you need two devices(either windows/linux/os x)at the creation of the multisig wallet you will get a seed that you need to write down for backup and after that you get 1 xpub key that you need to export(as in write it to other device) and from both xpub key a multi signature wallet will be created(every outgoing trasanction will have to be signed by both devices,at least one of them need to be connected to the internet)
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 07:29:12 AM

Can you give me an example of an actually damaging situation coming for the use of SPV?

Sorry, I've never had any significant reason to concern myself with such things. (If I use a SPV client, it's for pocket change.)

Off the top of my head, the recent (a few months back) multi-block fork during which some SPV clients were on the "wrong" chain comes to mind. I certainly wouldn't want my client telling me something which later turns out to be different. While the situation may not turn out to be directly damaging as far as a user's funds go, confusion itself can certainly lead to various problems resulting in actual damage.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Crowley2k

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 10:30:30 AM

Off the top of my head, the recent (a few months back) multi-block fork during which some SPV clients were on the "wrong" chain comes to mind. I certainly wouldn't want my client telling me something which later turns out to be different. While the situation may not turn out to be directly damaging as far as a user's funds go, confusion itself can certainly lead to various problems resulting in actual damage.
But that is not the case for Electrum since is not truly an SPV wallet,because it only connects to electrum servers not bitcoin nodes(and altcoins such as Bitcoin XT)
Same could be told about a couple mobile wallets(such as Mycelium)that connects to a couple of centralized nodes and which are less affected by what you described and a couple of sybil attacks that ("real")SPV wallets are affected by it
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: