Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:33:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So, apparently I can't work more than 40 hours a week...  (Read 5651 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 05:09:06 AM

It's my first time entering the workforce and it seems finding work that exceeds 40 hours a week is hard.

Why? Because the state feels it's necessary to mandate employers by force to pay 1.5 times the wage for every hour worked overtime.

Fuck this. If I want to offer labor for more than 40 hours per week, it's my damn right. It's my labor.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 05:13:17 AM

Work at two different Walmarts.

Problem solved.

You're welcome.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:05:08 AM

It's my first time entering the workforce and it seems finding work that exceeds 40 hours a week is hard.

Why? Because the state feels it's necessary to mandate employers by force to pay 1.5 times the wage for every hour worked overtime.

Fuck this. If I want to offer labor for more than 40 hours per week, it's my damn right. It's my labor.

Speaking from inexperience, I see. You said it yourself - it's your first time entering the workforce. I guarantee you, one day you'll find that after you work 40 hours a week, and go to and from work, and eat, and sleep, that your personal times is not much, and then when your employer says, we need you for 48 hours this week, and so on, and it's damn inconvenient, and the employer starts to give you shit work because you're a complainer, and so on...

You'll be damn glad they have to pay you time and a half for overtime.

Be thankful that overtime is time and a half. You have no idea. The whole thing you're missing is without time and a half as a disincentive for the employer to work you more than 40 hours a week, they'd walk all over you if you didn't work 60 hours a week and fire your ass if it happened to be inconvenient for you because in this climate, they have a lot of people who will work 60 and 70 hours a week and they don't need an extra employee on the books if you don't want to do that for the next five years.

Get out there and work 40 hour weeks for six months straight and then report back here.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:11:19 AM

Be thankful that overtime is time and a half. You have no idea. The whole thing you're missing is without time and a half as a disincentive for the employer to work you more than 40 hours a week, they'd walk all over you if you didn't work 60 hours a week and fire your ass if it happened to be inconvenient for you.

I see no problem with this. If the market enables and prefer individuals who can work 60+ hours with no complaints, then so be it. It's their money and labor; let them do as they please.

If I can't meet my employer's desires, I should be fired.

I will not thank the state for coercing businesses and individuals. Some people have families to feed and they need to work more hours. When stores can't afford to, it can be a problem. It hurts everyone in the end: People can't do what they want.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:13:35 AM

Be thankful that overtime is time and a half. You have no idea. The whole thing you're missing is without time and a half as a disincentive for the employer to work you more than 40 hours a week, they'd walk all over you if you didn't work 60 hours a week and fire your ass if it happened to be inconvenient for you.

I see no problem with this.

I will not thank the state for coercing businesses and individuals. Some people have families to feed and they need to work more hours. When stores can't afford to, it can be a problem.

That's my point. You're in competition with people who can outwork you like you can't believe. You probably can't keep up with them. They just work and sleep. If not for time and half, the business would fire you because you finally get tired of 70 hour weeks.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:15:40 AM

I see no problem with this.

I will not thank the state for coercing businesses and individuals. Some people have families to feed and they need to work more hours. When stores can't afford to, it can be a problem.

That's my point. You're in competition with people who can outwork you like you can't believe. You probably can't keep up with them. They just work and sleep. If not for time and half, the business would fire you because you finally get tired of 70 hour weeks.

I don't have the right to a job from a business that caters to and prefers hardworkers. Why should I deny a more efficient and harder worker more hours and a business better gains for those hours?

FirstAscent

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:17:36 AM

I don't have the right to a job from a business that caters to and prefers hardworkers. Why should I deny a more efficient and harder worker more hours and a business better gains for those hours?

You're not getting it. The other point is you said you have never worked 40 hour weeks. Try it for six months, and then report back with your new viewpoint on the matter.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:21:11 AM

You're not getting it. The other point is you said you have never worked 40 hour weeks. Try it for six months, and then report back with your new viewpoint on the matter.

My father worked 80 hour weeks managing a restaurant. I know what it looks like -- or the lack thereof. I want it more than anything. I want a year of the most work I can do. I need to build my savings to their fullest and it will be done.

I will report back.

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:23:19 AM

...and, yes, I don't get how it's preferable for the government to mandate how long one should work.

If men want to and are willing to work 80 hour weeks and the businesses benefit from it, I see no problem. They should be able to act as they desire.

FirstAscent

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:23:27 AM

My father worked 80 hour weeks managing a restaurant. I know what it looks like -- or the lack thereof. I want it more than anything.

There's a big difference in spending 80 hours managing and being managed for 80 hours a week. I'm sure the employees he scheduled just loved hearing him say "I work 80 hours every week."
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:25:01 AM

...and, yes, I don't get how it's preferable for the government to mandate how long one should work.

If men want to and are willing to work 80 hour weeks and the businesses benefit from it, I see no problem. They should be able to act as they desire.

What about the average person who doesn't want to listen to the asshole manager tell them that he works 80 hours a week and if the employee can't do the same, well then he'll just have to take a hike. That's the way it would be.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:31:03 AM

What about the average person who doesn't want to listen to the asshole manager tell them that he works 80 hours a week and if the employee can't do the same, well then he'll just have to take a hike. That's the way it would be.

Why should the employer have to sacrifice for less?

Not all jobs can be functional with 80 hour weeks, you know. The fact is if enough of the population wants lower work weeks, their desire will be met in one way or another; whether it be through alternative jobs or lower wages.

Nothing inherently makes an employer more powerful than an employee. They both have desires and something to give.

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2012, 06:31:49 AM

You just need to look at countries like China where often the most lowly paid are also the most ridiculously overworked (often the overtime not paid anyway as it is deemed "just something you have to do if you want this job").

There's nothing like the fear of unemployment to give bosses free labor.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:35:14 AM

(often the overtime not paid anyway as it is deemed "just something you have to do if you want this job").

Then that's just the market rate for the labor. If the employee can be easily fired and replaced with somebody who can easily meet the requirement of un-salaried overtime, then why not?

I see nothing wrong here.

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:36:09 AM

I remember being your age and thinking that people work for profit.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:42:09 AM

I remember being your age and thinking that people work for profit.
...then they wouldn't work. People will only enter an exchange if they will be better off in return. Masochism included.

Life can be hard but it doesn't justify making the forest equal with a hatchet and a saw.

benjamindees
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:42:55 AM

Subsistence is not profit, Atlas.

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:43:49 AM

Subsistence is not profit, Atlas.

Is life not preferable to death?

benjamindees
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:52:01 AM

Profit is not "that which is preferable", it is "that which makes one better off".

If I threaten to cut off either your finger or your toe, and you choose the finger, you have not profited by the exchange of a finger for a toe.

all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2012, 07:00:58 AM

I see nothing wrong here.

Well then don't complain when the majority of jobs are outsourced to China and India and the majority of other people in developed countries become unemployed (unless you really do want to work your 80 hours a week for a few measly bucks to be on the "same level").

Smiley

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: