Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:30:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will 2G and 2.5G coins just be replaced by 3G coins, etc??  (Read 858 times)
Primitive (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 07:15:26 PM

there's an explosion of new coins with new "features"

but what happens when the steady flow of coins with more and more features continues?

i understand how BTC will survive (first mover, largest by far) but I wonder what the current crop of coins must do in order to be around in a few years?

NEM, LSK, STRAT
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
boxuser

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Credits CRD 1st Decentralized Exchange coin

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 09:05:59 PM

who knows, might be possible, or the developers/community might take over and update the coins

kbm

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 09:09:43 PM

I believe the question is whether or not your 2G buzzwords will ever replace your 1G buzzwords. Stop stealing cell phone marketing ideas.

Thanks Smiley
Kiloday

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 09:51:15 PM

It would not be a good thing for newer innovative coins to continuously replace older coins that were innovative when they were first launched, and then for each new generation to die like the way older computer or mobile phone models do today. The blockchain represents the investments of countless people who believed in the coin's success. Who would invest in a coin with an expected lifetime of a couple of months to a year or two? Unless you plan to transfer all of your assets out of the old gen and into the new gen every time a next gen coin is released. Hence I would think that only coins with a healthy community and a committed dev team (or even multiple dev teams such as in the case with Bitcoin) that implements new features as the market demands them will survive. Such coins will gradually evolve through the generations, from 1st gen to 2nd gen to 3rd gen, and so on.
Willisius

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 11:27:17 PM

Coins are always going to be in active development. The whole thing is an experiment. We may see features we don't think are possible now in the near future. Those generation labels are invalid though. "Second generation cryptocurrency" means nothing.
henryjames1003

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 04:57:21 PM

but what happens when the steady flow of coins with more and more features continues?

i understand how BTC will survive (first mover, largest by far) but I wonder what the current crop of coins must do in order to be around in a few years?

Now is not the time for new altcoins, there are white noise of bad-quality forks. may be few years later when making poor quality coins comes really unprofitable (in community not-investing in scamcoin i'm trust)
phzi

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 06:07:55 PM

New "features" will either be rolled into the main secure blockchains (bitcoin and litecoin so far) that have enough consistent and growing hashing power to sustain orphan resistance.

Coin features are just gimmicks.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 06:10:21 PM

Features don't make coins valuable.

The value of a currency is mostly dependent on the energetic output of the community. Look at Bitcoin for a prime example.
phzi

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 09:35:47 PM

Features don't make coins valuable.

The value of a currency is mostly dependent on the energetic output of the community. Look at Bitcoin for a prime example.
I'd counter that the value in a crypto network is it's blockchain security and orphan resistance.  For proof of work, this equates to a high and consistent network hashrate that MUST be the top hashrate coin for that PoW algo.  Aka: BTC, LTC are the real blockchains of value.  Everything else is just an experiment that may or may not be rolled back into these real blockchains.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: