Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you own a firearm?
yes - 20 (37%)
no - 34 (63%)
Total Voters: 54

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you own a firearm?  (Read 4431 times)
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:09:43 PM

Registration should be voluntary. Then nobodies breakin the law.
Even if made law...it would be voluntary. Criminals will not register their weapons...only honest law abiding citizens will.
Exactly. You're only going to get an 80-90% participation rate anyway, then, while our law makers are busy writing up all this new legislation, they can add a part that says if you get caught committing a crime with an unregistered firearm your minimum prison sentence is 40 yrs without parole.
zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:10:02 PM

I feel obligated to support laws that make it harder for criminals and mentally ill people to get their hands on them.
Such as?  I mean, it's already pretty hard to buy a firearm and sometimes mental illness descends upon someone unexpectedly.
I also recognize that some places - some states and cities - have been reactionary in their approach, and always thinking that they have gun laws, but crime is still happening, they've instituted stricter and stricter laws that really only affect the law abiding.
That's true.  The 'law abiding' are, by definition, not the problem and there is this risk;  being made into a criminal when a law is created.  A gun owner hasn't actually done anything wrong and is not about to yet some dweeb in a legislature passes a law and 'poof', the gun owner is a criminal.
You should have read the whole post before starting to pick it apart. I addressed this - the point is that I support a national standard that would supersede all state and local regulation.
Hysterical reaction - the law I'm talking about would not make people who own firearms into criminals. The truth is, neither do the bans - which I don't support. Let's say your state bans all handguns (again - NOT something I'd support). Owning one prior to the ban going into place does not make you a criminal. Even if the law (as it likely would) required citizens to turn in their handguns, or have them permanently disabled, you STILL would not become a criminal unless you made the conscious decision to disregard the law and not do it.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:14:17 PM

No, but I've gone shooting at the rang and I have since come down with the "firearm bug".  I'd like my gun to be very nice but that being said, anything that over 40 calibur I think I would generally like.  I think my wallet is still trying to catch up my taste in guns.   Grin
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:15:59 PM

Other things I don't own...A parachute..A chainsaw..A trailer hitch ..A hot air popcorn popper..Like a firearm...I hope I never need any of these things.
I don't own a parachute or a popcorn popper. I use my chainsaw frequently and keep a half dozen chains for it. I definitely own a trailer hitch I use mostly in support of my wife's Interior Decorating practice, and moving furniture between our homes as my wife prefers. Every member of my family owns various guns. Each kid is given a 22 rifle at age 10, a shotgun at age 12, and a handgun at age 14, as they demonstrate unwavering safety practices.

As an NRA Instructor I push safety before any get guns, and I push that VERY HARD!

sana8410 (OP)

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:18:48 PM

Other things I don't own...A parachute..A chainsaw..A trailer hitch ..A hot air popcorn popper..Like a firearm...I hope I never need any of these things.
I don't own a parachute or a popcorn popper. I use my chainsaw frequently and keep a half dozen chains for it. I definitely own a trailer hitch I use mostly in support of my wife's Interior Decorating practice, and moving furniture between our homes as my wife prefers. Every member of my family owns various guns. Each kid is given a 22 rifle at age 10, a shotgun at age 12, and a handgun at age 14, as they demonstrate unwavering safety practices.

As an NRA Instructor I push safety before any get guns, and I push that VERY HARD!

I have owned guns all my life, having grown up on a farm where critters tended to eat the crops given the chance. My father paid a dollar for a groundhog kill and two bucks for a crow (crows are way too smart, hard to hit, harder to get close to them).

I think the NRA is insane and if you are not a farmer or a sportsman you should not be carrying.

I mean the recent walking into restaurants with your 30/30 slung over your should should cause anyone not truly insane to see the rationale for regulation.

I would register my weapons in a NY minute and so should we all.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
noviapriani

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:22:53 PM

I have owned guns all my life, having grown up on a farm where critters tended to eat the crops given the chance. My father paid a dollar for a groundhog kill and two bucks for a crow (crows are way too smart, hard to hit, harder to get close to them).

I think the NRA is insane and if you are not a farmer or a sportsman you should not be carrying.

I mean the recent walking into restaurants with your 30/30 slung over your should should cause anyone not truly insane to see the rationale for regulation.

I would register my weapons in a NY minute and so should we all.

The many Liberal gun Registration law violators in California and Connecticut who reject any and all gun Registration schemes, out of hand disagree with you as do most Americans.

Guns, chain saws, trailer hitches, etc., are bought sold, borrowed, loaned, and traded as are guns and other tools, in living rooms, parking lots, etc. Many millions of pre 1940 guns are included, and records are destroyed frequently per Federal law.

spiceminer15

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:23:28 PM

lots of them
zolace

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:32:29 PM

Yes, I own firearms. I used to shoot competitively, in my youth.  I've always supported the right of American citizens to own firearms and still do. However, being a responsible gun owner, I feel obligated to support laws that make it harder for criminals and mentally ill people to get their hands on them. I also recognize that some places - some states and cities - have been reactionary in their approach, and always thinking that they have gun laws, but crime is still happening, they've instituted stricter and stricter laws that really only affect the law abiding. That's why I support a nationalized gun control policy.

Here in New Jersey, our laws (as written) require persons to submit to a background check (including being finger printed) to get a Firearms ID Card, with which they can purchase long guns and ammunition so long as they carry it. In addition, to purchase a handgun, an purchase permit is required. Within one calendar year of your most recent background check, the issuing authority (your local police chief or State Police Barracks Commander) may issue handgun purchase permits without requiring another check at his discretion. The law requires the process to be completed within 30 days of the permit request being submitted. If you are convicted of a crime, or are diagnosed by a licensed therapist as being a danger to yourself or others, your Firearms ID Card may be suspended or revoked, following a hearing.

I believe that this is a good model on which to base a national standard. In my proposed solution, this nationalized standard would replace ALL gun regulations in all 50 states, including those who have the overly restrictive statutes at this time, and would prohibit states and municipalities from passing further restrictions other than that which would apply in state or municipal buildings.
Are you telling us then, that your criminals are unarmed? That a criminal can't get a gun in New Jersey? If not, then what's the point of burdening honest citizens with all that bullshit?Registration should be voluntary. Then nobodies breakin the law.
Nope. Not telling you that at all. Just as I haven't been telling you that in the umpteen times we've had this discussion.  I'm not even claiming that a nationalized policy will completely remove guns from criminals at all, much less instantaneously. Unlike you, I live in the REAL world. What I'm saying is that a national policy will help in two major ways - first, it will reduce availability (notice I said reduce, not eliminate) of black market guns by shutting down at least PART of the flow source by making unregistered sales illegal everywhere.  Law abiding citizens will still have every right to buy or sell  guns to and from other law abiding citizens, but proper background checks will be required, and the transfer of ownership will be documented. No longer will a criminal be able to simply buy a gun from a law abiding citizen with no check and no documentation. And in states where there are extremely weak laws, they will be tightened down, eventually all but shutting down the straw buying market.  As criminals are caught and their firearms impounded by police, that also will reduce black market stock, and that will raise the price of said black market stock. The second major impact of a nationalized law will be that it will actually REMOVE the overly restrictive laws in parts of the country where they have created reactionary bans. It will actually make it EASIER for law abiding citizens in those places to get a firearm to protect themselves, their home and their family.  This is not a "magic bullet" solution. reductions in the black market would be incremental. Only a fool would believe that there IS a "magic bullet" solution. Just as only a fool would believe that since there really isn't any "magic bullet solution" we should do nothing.

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
noviapriani

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:33:01 PM

Even if made law...it would be voluntary. Criminals will not register their weapons...only honest law abiding citizens will.
Not even! Americans will NEVER tolerate any Government knowledge of our guns, and we train our kids to evade any and all Registration schemes to locate guns.
Officials in Connecticut Stunned by What Could Be a Massive, State-Wide Act of ‘Civil Disobedience’ by Gun Owners
Feb. 13, 2014 12:04am

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/13/tens-of-thousands-of-connecticut-gun-owners-may-be-staging-a-massive-act-of-civil-disobedience/

NON COMPLIANCE
Why haven’t Californians registered all their assault weapons?

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=1952

It is truly unthinkable that any "American" will ever tolerate any gun registration scheme preceding gun confiscation. It worked in Nazi Germany and Communist China, and therefore it fails in the USA!

It requires a brain dead or FOOL American to Register any commodity gun. This is also why we rarely report stolen guns. Gun ownership has ZERO connection to any government.

dougg

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:33:35 PM

whats a good hand gun?

I should get one, so at this moment would be a no I dont own one. Like newbie friendly gun suggestion.

zolace

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:37:40 PM

Not even! Americans will NEVER tolerate any Government knowledge of our guns, and we train our kids to evade any and all Registration schemes to locate guns.
Officials in Connecticut Stunned by What Could Be a Massive, State-Wide Act of ‘Civil Disobedience’ by Gun Owners
Feb. 13, 2014 12:04am

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/13/tens-of-thousands-of-connecticut-gun-owners-may-be-staging-a-massive-act-of-civil-disobedience/

NON COMPLIANCE
Why haven’t Californians registered all their assault weapons?

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=1952

It is truly unthinkable that any "American" will ever tolerate any gun registration scheme preceding gun confiscation. It worked in Nazi Germany and Communist China, and therefore it fails in the USA!

It requires a brain dead or FOOL American to Register any commodity gun. This is also why we rarely report stolen guns. Gun ownership has ZERO connection to any government.
.........if gun registration is the law and you refuse to comply with it, you're not a law abiding citizen.

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
Rigon

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:44:26 PM

What I'm saying is that a national policy will help in two major ways - first, it will reduce availability (notice I said reduce, not eliminate) of black market guns by shutting down at least PART of the flow source by making unregistered sales illegal everywhere.
zolace

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:52:25 PM

What I'm saying is that a national policy will help in two major ways - first, it will reduce availability (notice I said reduce, not eliminate) of black market guns by shutting down at least PART of the flow source by making unregistered sales illegal everywhere.
What's your source for making that claim?

It's called an opinion - and one based in sound logic. The problem you and I have is that you seem to think I'm calling this a magic bullet - which I'm not, and without a magic bullet, you're unwilling to consider ANY  measures.

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
noviapriani

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:57:36 PM

It's called an opinion - and one based in sound logic. The problem you and I have is that you seem to think I'm calling this a magic bullet - which I'm not, and without a magic bullet, you're unwilling to consider ANY  measures.
Where do you citizens of Jersey go to get your Free Speech permits?  What the fuck about "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

sana8410 (OP)

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 05:01:54 PM

Who needs firearms when you  have vicious guard pets? At pitbull …...or a crazy cat !   Grin

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 05:03:44 PM

Where do you citizens of Jersey go to get your Free Speech permits?  What the fuck about "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
Having people go through background checks to make sure they are not criminals is not infringing on their right to own a gun, you twit.  When they pass the check, they get their permit, and they get their gun. No infringement. There's nothing in the second amendment that says that it cannot be regulated, and the Supreme Court has already long since upheld that principle. The only way there would be infringement on the right to keep and bear arms is if they were refused the permit or the firearms ID card in spite of the fact that the check comes back clean. So you tell me, what part of "shall not be infringed" do YOU not understand?

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
Rigon

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 05:06:42 PM

I'm willing to consider any measure that is guaranteed to drastically cut down on crime without violating our right to keep and bear arms. If you can't guarantee that, then no, I will not support another useless law on top of the 29,000 already on the books.
umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 05:09:32 PM

Who needs firearms when you  have vicious guard pets? At pitbull …...or a crazy cat !   Grin
Our many tens of millions of Gun Owners have them for many reasons, self protection being only one of them.

The positive element is that we typically vote according to our Freedom from Government involvement in our lives, except the 18 elements in our Constitution.

eden1

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 05:11:22 PM

I want a gun buy i want to make one

Rigon

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 05:11:51 PM

Again, most gun deaths are the suicides you liberals support. Most of the rest are inner-city gangs killing each other, so if you are not suicidal, not a gang member, don't deal in drugs, and you are not a cop, your chances of being shot in America are near zero.

The gun 'crisis', like so many other 'emergencies', is liberal hogwash being used as an excuse to further limit the rights of We, the People. There is no gun crisis, and if you are as smart as you claim you are, then you damn know it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: