Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coins  (Read 1169 times)
tonsafun (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 01:43:52 AM

im new to the game and im just looking for a little help on what to look for as far as investing in new/any coins. thanks for the help Grin
Sydboy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 02:35:02 AM

you would need to be a psychic to give that advice. well actually anyone could give advice but you'd need to be psychic to give good advice.

alt coins are interesting. So many of them sky rocket for a few weeks until they eventually crap out and every one moves onto the next.

i keep missing the popular ones lol so dont listen to me.

one bit of advice. do not invest in any bitcoin business.

Pkofet

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 06:18:05 AM

IMHO, most of those altcoins are created for pump and dump, and it is very risky trading altcoin.
I prefer to stay away from that, and just hold my bitcoin. Smiley

smalltimer

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 08:10:40 AM

look for coins with active dev and active community. New coins are more risky. If dev is still around after 3 or 4 months it is probably a bit safer. Very careful with new coins these days. Lots of scams.

boxuser

Activity: 322

Credits CRD 1st Decentralized Exchange coin

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:06:02 AM

decide for yourself check what the devs. are doing and working on and if it has any future, and if it is any useful

that said: look at

Credits CRD
ANN: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=634403.0
  Video to upcoming wallet 2.0 with DECENTRALIZED EXCHANGE+ANON+MORE : http://vimeo.com/100148381

im new to the game and im just looking for a little help on what to look for as far as investing in new/any coins. thanks for the help Grin

juicyjuice87

Activity: 490

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 10:16:07 AM

One word, three letters. NXT
Is there anything you can't do with that coin!
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 06:00:50 PM

look for coins with active dev and active community. New coins are more risky. If dev is still around after 3 or 4 months it is probably a bit safer. Very careful with new coins these days. Lots of scams.

This sounds like good advice.

For me it took several months of research and then over a year to build a reliable coin. Remember, cryptocurrency is not only about investing, it's also about giving back to the currency your own creative energy. Good luck!
tonsafun (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 09:20:56 PM

i recently sold some NAV and that did fairly well for me *knock on wood*, especially because i put little to no effort in that. all i did was wait pretty much. i guess my end game is to learn more about it because i have no idea what a dev is and i know people dont want to give hand outs.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2014, 11:02:15 PM

i recently sold some NAV and that did fairly well for me *knock on wood*, especially because i put little to no effort in that. all i did was wait pretty much. i guess my end game is to learn more about it because i have no idea what a dev is and i know people dont want to give hand outs.

Congratulations on your trade. Best of luck to you in the future!
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 12:52:35 AM

much study and don't trust people's advices, only in your own judgement.

Without that, you have better expectation of return playing on primedice.
djarot

Activity: 350
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 11:34:49 AM

I would think longevity my friend, and do beware that many altcoins have their problems! but if you ignore the hype, it can be easy to see which are safe for investing....start small, and dont panic! a good idea would be check out the fundamental features of coins, what they are built on...for example cryptonote-based coins are getting a lot of talking on this forum, some arguing, but the technology is very interesting! or well-known coins you can choose too, doge etc have solid bases in my opinion! but best of luck, you should write here your reasons for choosing which currency, when you choose more....
den.faulkner1990

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 01:00:54 PM

you would need to be a psychic to give that advice. well actually anyone could give advice but you'd need to be psychic to give good advice.

alt coins are interesting. So many of them sky rocket for a few weeks until they eventually crap out and every one moves onto the next.

i keep missing the popular ones lol so dont listen to me.

one bit of advice. do not invest in any bitcoin business.

why do you think it is bad to invest in bitcoin business?
tonsafun (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 09:28:50 PM

I would think longevity my friend, and do beware that many altcoins have their problems! but if you ignore the hype, it can be easy to see which are safe for investing....start small, and dont panic! a good idea would be check out the fundamental features of coins, what they are built on...for example cryptonote-based coins are getting a lot of talking on this forum, some arguing, but the technology is very interesting! or well-known coins you can choose too, doge etc have solid bases in my opinion! but best of luck, you should write here your reasons for choosing which currency, when you choose more....
i chose NAV when it was SUM2 still based on a friend who got me into this. he basically gave me a couple bucks to put into it, so it never really a lose situtation for me. i ended up selling half and getting my money back, but i've been thinking about putting another couple bucks into NAV while it it low. any thoughts on that? also, a guy messaged me about NOBLE coin and he said he was the dev but im not seeing much in it
Mikez

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:37:19 PM

Advice in all this chaos? Cheesy
Just stay away from sh*tty coins.

bram_vnl
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 12:59:41 PM

Guldencoin is the best coin its accept @ 3 subways in the netherlands

and 1 shop in Amsterdam Netherlands

http://guldencoinforum.com
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=554412.0
https://guldencoin.com
OptimusPrime7

Activity: 122

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 01:21:35 PM

Darkcoin Smiley..
bram_vnl
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:02:17 PM

Darkcoin Smiley..

scam coin
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:36:47 PM

Someone mentioned doing your due diligence and looking for coins with both an active dev and an active community. Those are sound pieces of advice. Also coins that have been around longer tend to have more stability (although a chunk of the time it has a link to a direct market trend, usually downward).

Here is one piece of advice though: just like any game, there are gonna be winners and losers. Be prepared to take losses at times, and be careful to not get burned too badly.
AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:52:06 PM

My suspicion is that the vast majority of altcoins are made by a few people.

Create coin - most work already done by past coins.
Announce - you are guaranteed to have a lot because you will be in on early mining (and may have pre-mined)
Sell - sell coins to people with gambling addictions who want to get in on this new coin while it is young.

Leave project and start another coin. Maybe even bad-mouth last coin so that people you got into that coin are more likely to invest in your new coin.

-=-

Remember the Internet is full of crooks of liars

-=-

I would suggest looking at coins that have been around for a year with mostly the same dev team, and a dev team that seems to know what they are doing and has brought things new to the coin that were not in what they forked.

-=-

Don't believe the PoS hype. It may have value but that has yet to be demonstrated. The opposite however has been demonstrated, at least one coin had to reverse the blockchain because PoS gave a coin thief too much control.

But PoS sounds like a good idea to many even though its worth over PoW has not been real-world demonstrated, so it is used to hype coins because it is easy to make it sound like something awesome, and that is a sign that the coin may in fact be created by someone who planned to dump from the start after a pump.

No alt-coin with PoS has yet reached enough critical mass to determine if PoS is really beneficial to the operation of the coin.

-=-

For me, there are two alt-coins I have interest in -

namecoin
quarkcoin

Look at them and what they have to offer yourself, because my opinion of them obviously will be biased.
Though I currently very rarely use namecoin (I have some major plans though - the decentralized key=>value store is what makes it worth it to me).

-=-

If you see alt-coins as play money and not investment, then you can have fun with almost any coin.

That's what a lot of reddit users saw with dogecoin - it was a joke and a fun one for play. Those getting burned are those that saw it as investment.

But if you look at them as play money until they have actually demonstrated real-world utility you can have fun with just about any of them.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
henryjames1003

Activity: 51

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 03:14:25 PM

For me it took several months of research and then over a year to build a reliable coin. Remember, cryptocurrency is not only about investing, it's also about giving back to the currency your own creative energy. Good luck!

sounds great! "is not only about investing, it's also about giving back to the currency your own creative energy"(c) really great!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: