Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:16:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mintpal hacked (VeriCoin)  (Read 10973 times)
darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:25:38 PM

Another PoS Coin, NavajoCoin, was successfully Doublespent after the attacker claimed over 50% of Navajocoins...

My conclusion? PoS= PIECE OF SHIT.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Alphi

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 05:16:43 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2014, 05:30:37 AM by Alphi

While on one hand, I'm surprised this fork hasn't been used before to solve purported theft issues, as a viable solution to that particular problem, it does create all kinds of other problems, like what about people who made irreversible payments to legitimate payees after the event?  It's B.S.

it hasn't been used before because the only way to roll back a coin is to essentially destroy every single block containing every single transaction that occurred after the time you want to roll back to.
with any large coin economy that would cause major financial chaos.

imagine you'd just bought a house or car and your transactions were wiped. worse yet imagine you sold one.... you just got your nice wad of coins and then poof all gone. "sorry we just rolled back because of theft... don't worry mintpal will reimburse you..."

given that Vericoin had very few transactions for the period of 8 or so hours between the attack and the rollback the devs took a chance to save their coin.
they saved their coin but damaged its reputation and credibility.. only time will tell if it will survive.

it was the least destructive thing to do even if the coin suffers for it because very dangerous flaws in mintpal's and PoS coin security were exposed and a thief was denied the spoils of his endeavors.
the controversy has sparked fierce debate and everyone involved is much wiser for it and a potential exchange collapse and resulting scandal have been averted

KARMA: KSc9oGgGga1TS4PqZNFxNS9LSDjdSgpC1B      VERT: VgKaooA5ZuLLUXTUANJigH9wCPuzBUBv9H
DOGE:   DRN7pXid34o6wQgUuK8BoSjWJ5g8jiEs4e
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 05:29:37 AM

MintPal owes ALL their success to this forum full of users.

MP should have posted this info first here for us all RIGHT AWAY far before anyone else had a change to start relaying sketchy bits of info.

and so far they have had a LONG time to come here and do some explaining.
there should have been a new topic created by them posted here for us all to read a full disclosure of what happened PERIOD.

Their seemingly endless sketchy behavior with Coin voting crap had already left a very sour taste in my mouth.
and That had already prevented me from even considering registering on their site.

Their response to this here at the forum guarantees i will never in my life use Mintpal.
And it's not because they had security issues.. but because of HOW they handled it.

To me ? it's game over.. your done MintPal

The next place that can operate with some common sense deserve to take the customers business.

They have had LOTS of time to cook up an explanation and simply posting some shit on their Exchange site's Q/A is not acceptable.
Did anyone get emails with an explanation on what happened and why and what you should do now ?

They KNOW we're all here and we came here before we knew their exchange existed.. so for them to not rush here to post about it, is nuts.
I think its clear they didn't say anything here to avoid the matter.. and buy time etc

screw em.. get your coins out of there is my opinion
or wait for the next "charge back" lol

FUD first & ask questions later™
AlexAce420

Activity: 155
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 05:30:13 AM

Good thing my VRC are on Cryptsy. Cheesy
Alphi

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 05:32:31 AM

Good thing my VRC are on Cryptsy. Cheesy

your coins reputation was trashed by mintpal and you think its a good thing you have your coins in cryptsy?

KARMA: KSc9oGgGga1TS4PqZNFxNS9LSDjdSgpC1B      VERT: VgKaooA5ZuLLUXTUANJigH9wCPuzBUBv9H
DOGE:   DRN7pXid34o6wQgUuK8BoSjWJ5g8jiEs4e
CodeHunter

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 06:47:58 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2014, 07:42:01 AM by CodeHunter

Vericoin is the only alt that's not a scam.

Everything else is crap. They're all shady.

While VRC has talented devs that made themselves public. And they're being pragmatic.

powerguy

Activity: 52

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:04:25 AM

what is going on with the vericoin any updates is it back to normal now?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4884

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 11:41:46 AM

While VRC has talented devs that made themselves public. And they're being pragmatic.

You choose your words poorly.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Wulfcastle

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 12:25:23 PM

MintPal owes ALL their success to this forum full of users.

MP should have posted this info first here for us all RIGHT AWAY far before anyone else had a change to start relaying sketchy bits of info.

Virtually every alt-coin owes it's success to this forum. If BitcoinTalk closed down the alt-coin section, most alt-coins would die off, except a rare few which have outgrown BitcoinTalk.
demgains

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 02:31:01 PM

I moved all my coins off MP to my wallets as well. MP has lost alot of its credibility and I dont see them regaining it anytime soon. Will there ever be an exchange that is credible and transparent?....who knows, but for all investors, don't store your coins on exchanges. I still have .2 BTC worth of a few coins on other exchanges, but they are for not a concern. My MP wallet is now in my own possession, I dont think anyone should trust MP anymore with their money, especially if you hold large amounts of a coin.
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 03:36:11 PM

LMAO!
If vericoin is the only alt that is not a scam then cryptos are doomed.

I moved all my coins off MP to my wallets as well. MP has lost alot of its credibility and I dont see them regaining it anytime soon. Will there ever be an exchange that is credible and transparent?....who knows, but for all investors, don't store your coins on exchanges. I still have .2 BTC worth of a few coins on other exchanges, but they are for not a concern. My MP wallet is now in my own possession, I dont think anyone should trust MP anymore with their money, especially if you hold large amounts of a coin.

People should start to understand that the only coins that are indeed yours are the coins you have in your personal wallet.
Coin sitting in exchanges are coin you lend them willingly.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
rippleme

Activity: 33

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 04:27:39 PM

I only use exchanges to buy or sell coins the withdraw immediately. As someone mentioned above keep your coins in your wallet, there have been far so many cases of exchange hacking and they won't stop anytime soon.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4884

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 05:12:06 PM

I'm liking the way Poloniex  Handles themselves.

Dear Users of Poloniex,

As you may have heard, a hacker recently used an exploit to steal 12.3% of the Bitcoins on Poloniex. Details on how this happened can be found in this announcement post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=499580.0

In order to keep Poloniex solvent, all BTC balances were deducted yesterday by 12.3%. No further deductions will occur. As soon as I have time to put it up, you will be able to view exactly how much BTC you are missing on your Balances page.

I deeply regret that this happened, and am committed to repaying the debt and making Poloniex absolutely secure. Any exchange fees collected since the incident will be used to pay back the debt at regular intervals. Exchange fees will not be raised.

Additionally, shares of Poloniex may be issued, the profits from which would be used to repay the debt and hire highly qualified security experts. The timing and details of this, and indeed whether it will occur, have not been decided. I invite you all to give your input on these decisions by voting in the following poll and, if desired, leaving a comment: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=500578.0

Since the incident occurred, the way withdrawals and order creation are handled has been redesigned so that all such requests are added to a global command queue, then processed sequentially. More automated checks for consistency of balances have been added. Larger percentages of coins have been moved into cold storage. And as of today, I am searching for additional developers to bolster the security of Poloniex as much as possible, and as soon as possible.

Here are some specific details about the hacker.

BTC addresses used to withdraw stolen funds to:

1ABnAg2nK3M6YKmaYtL5EBgdp1VQGyTbjL
18sdMt7ENfU3Weq7vy1Qdqr3skgd47WEbe
1Ktq7TE3J5vZ3c99M5weqKfFcNkHQdqPrq
1C1acLbFh3KaKgdFUBuCV8oD7ucqUaLLLY

IP addresses used to place the withdrawals:

Email addresses used to log in:

373287211@qq.com
gasthalter@qq.com
group_124@qq.com
johnimmi_234@qq.com
liuxiaohong_819@qq.com
peabody_129@qq.com
stevencohen_998@qq.com
wangweida_123@qq.com

The total BTC stolen was about 97. The addresses will add up to more than that; this is because the hacker needed to deposit BTC several times in order to use the exploit.

Finally, I would like to extend my deepest gratitude toward the many people who have shown their support, who have vouched for my character, and who have offered help. In this time of extreme and continual stress and worry, I truly appreciate it. I will do everything in my power to return your funds to you as soon as possible, and I am grateful for your patience in the meantime.

Sincerely,
Tristan

This On I had to prompt them for.

Dear Users of Poloniex,

As you may have heard, an attempt to hack into Poloniex's hot wallet server via social engineering was made several weeks ago on May 3rd. The attack was successfully repelled and no funds were taken, but as a precaution, the old BTC hot wallet had to be considered compromised. This means that any BTC or XCP addresses generated on or before May 3rd should NOT be used for deposits.

This email is notify anyone still using such addresses that funds deposited there will soon no longer be recoverable. Future deposits to such addresses may be LOST. Please do NOT send any more BTC or XCP to any deposit address generated on or before May 3rd. Any BTC or XCP address currently appearing on your Balances page is valid.

Thanks,
Tristan D'Agosta
Poloniex, LLC

I am sure they are doing their best and have my trust, for what that is worth.

I only use exchanges to buy or sell coins the withdraw immediately. As someone mentioned above keep your coins in your wallet, there have been far so many cases of exchange hacking and they won't stop anytime soon.

Tough to do If you want to place walls.

LMAO!
If vericoin is the only alt that is not a scam then cryptos are doomed.

I was more diplomatic in my response! Tongue

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
meganite

Activity: 48

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 03:17:29 AM

Ha!!!! We have a talented comedian over here!
bitwho
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 03:55:40 AM

Ha!!!! We have a talented comedian over here!

http://bitinfocharts.com/top-100-richest-vericoin-addresses.html

those numbers looks the weakest from all the distribution i have seen so far

i believe all coin should have a fair trial but i would be careful being stuck with a bad trade
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1709

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 09:26:47 AM

WOW

Seems like this hack pretty much killed the exchange.

Pretty much no volume anymore.

Everybody moved to Bittrex it seems.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
allyouracid
Legendary

Activity: 2320
Merit: 1292

Encrypted Money, Baby!

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:05:36 AM

While on one hand, I'm surprised this fork hasn't been used before to solve purported theft issues, as a viable solution to that particular problem, it does create all kinds of other problems, like what about people who made irreversible payments to legitimate payees after the event?  It's B.S.

it hasn't been used before because the only way to roll back a coin is to essentially destroy every single block containing every single transaction that occurred after the time you want to roll back to.
with any large coin economy that would cause major financial chaos.

imagine you'd just bought a house or car and your transactions were wiped. worse yet imagine you sold one.... you just got your nice wad of coins and then poof all gone. "sorry we just rolled back because of theft... don't worry mintpal will reimburse you..."

given that Vericoin had very few transactions for the period of 8 or so hours between the attack and the rollback the devs took a chance to save their coin.
they saved their coin but damaged its reputation and credibility.. only time will tell if it will survive.

it was the least destructive thing to do even if the coin suffers for it because very dangerous flaws in mintpal's and PoS coin security were exposed and a thief was denied the spoils of his endeavors.
the controversy has sparked fierce debate and everyone involved is much wiser for it and a potential exchange collapse and resulting scandal have been averted

Just to make sure you know: it has been used before, even twice at Bitcoin.

See screwup #9 and #8 here: http://www.coindesk.com/9-biggest-screwups-bitcoin-history/

Don't visit my shitcoin blog: OCOIN.DEV
Use cointracking.info for tax declaration & tracking of your trades!
testcoin

Activity: 465
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 06:32:09 PM

WOW

Seems like this hack pretty much killed the exchange.

Pretty much no volume anymore.

Everybody moved to Bittrex it seems.

No surprise. I had no choice but had to withdraw all my funds out of Mintpal too

I'm sure most people don't trust Mintpal as a secure exchange anymore since the hacker could successfully injected withdrawal request into their database and got the funds directly

It just sounds too terrible

thecentennial

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 03:27:51 AM

Hey,

I “lost” my VRC when Moolah.io closed its doors. I didn’t receive any emails at the time re the closure and by the time I found out, it was too late. This was back in 2014.

I assume my coins are still there on the blockchain (?) and I would dearly love to get my coins back. The VRC price makes my 6,500 coins worth chasing.

Was anyone else affected similarly?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  

Jump to: