Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 02:14:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mintpal hacked (VeriCoin)  (Read 10973 times)
adhitthana
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:26:08 AM

And what will happen to all the transactions that took place after the hack, they will also be void if I'm not wrong? I don't own any VeriCoins but just concerned about the people who bought coins after this incident took place.
Mintpal has said they will make good on any transactions that happened afterwards if anyone lost out. Read that here.
http://www.vericoin.info/downloads/Statement.pdf

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vual

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:32:10 AM

mintpals fuck up...
mintpal pays...
if this is hardforked i loose all faith....
we all know mintpal are not the most trusted exchange out there,
the leaders in faking volume and stealing spreads....
what a big shit storm hey.
adhitthana
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:35:28 AM

Here is Mintpal answering some questions. https://support.mintpal.com/index.php?module=announce&sec=view&id=18
seljak

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:50:18 AM

I sold a car and recieved VRC as payment. After fork my funds are gone. What can i do? ...a speculative question but still can someone give me an answer? VRC team is a disgrace to crypto world.
boxuser

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Credits CRD 1st Decentralized Exchange coin

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:51:17 AM

i really hope Credits CRD will be released soon then stuff like that will be completely a thing of the past Smiley

phzi

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:53:27 AM

I sold a car and recieved VRC as payment. After fork my funds are gone. What can i do? ...a speculative question but still can someone give me an answer? VRC team is a disgrace to crypto world.
This is precicely why this rollback is absurd.

In this case, you should probably take legal action against the VeriCoin devs and possibly MintPal.
crunck
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

crunck

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:54:12 AM

1) We lost a considerable amount of VeriCoin in the attack, however we have been working with the VRC developers and all major exchanges to hard fork the coin at a position before the attack. This will allow us to retrieve the stolen coins and facilitate all withdrawals. We are also working with various exchanges to accommodate any losses they may encouter as a result of the required fork.

This is a problem right here. Just because it's stolen does not mean they should be able to arbitrarily reverse the hack. If they're successful at hard forking, this will set precedence that any time there is a theft reported, devs can just hard fork again. This will eventually be abused, and corruption happens.

I agree with you right here.

This is a very scary thought that people can just hard fork and wipe out a load of transactions as above, this will ultimately end up being abused, whilst I sympathise with the loss incured, it is at the end of the day mintpal's problem not everyone else that will now be included in this fork.

Not good news I dont think !

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
crunck
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

crunck

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:58:33 AM

How did the attack happen?
The malicious user was able to inject a withdrawal request directly into our database bypassing the risk control measures that we have in place. We have found no evidence that our server infrastructure was directly accessed in the attack.

Thats there problem not everyone else's that will be affected, I feel for vericoin as well as there is sure to be some serious dumping going on, cashing out, then after a fork they get it all back.

Un believable

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
IanFoxley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:59:56 AM

In this case, you should probably take legal action against the VeriCoin devs and possibly MintPal.
If that was me, I would contact the person I sold the car too, tell them that because of what happened, the VRC they sent you are now back in their wallet and ask them to send them them to you again. If they do not, would start legal action or police, whatever. But would give them a day or so to do it as it wouldn't be their fault to start with. They would have to update the wallet to the new version to see the VRC again, but I feel that if they have VRC to start with, then they would know about what happened and would have updated anyway.

seljak

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:00:40 AM

If that was me, I would contact the person I sold the car too, tell them that because of what happened, the money they sent you is now back in their wallet and ask them to send them the coins back. If they do not, would start legal action or police, whatever. But would give them a day or so to do it as it wouldn't be their fault to start with.

and the world is full of good samaritans, right?
viking_coin

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:02:15 AM

I would contact the person that sent you the payment. Hopefully he will be understanding and resend the payment.

Viking Coin- SHA 256 -5,000 Vik
thevikingcoin.com
IanFoxley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:02:38 AM

If that was me, I would contact the person I sold the car too, tell them that because of what happened, the money they sent you is now back in their wallet and ask them to send them the coins back. If they do not, would start legal action or police, whatever. But would give them a day or so to do it as it wouldn't be their fault to start with.

Yes, but the difference here, is that, if you sold a car to someone, you would have their name, address, phone number. It is a bit harder for them to just run off and hide away.

seljak

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:10:04 AM

Yes, but the difference here, is that, if you sold a car to someone, you would have their name, address, phone number. It is a bit harder for them to just run off and hide away.

Run and hide? He could laugh in my face. The contract was signed by buyer and seller that the goods were recieved by both sides. Only after 12 hours some geek decided to give my funds back to the seller.
stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:15:04 AM

I find it very hard to believe if you managed to hack into the mintpal wallet area of an exchange why you would specifically target VRC which wasn't worth much....You would clearly target BTC, LTC or Dark...

I would bet this was somehow an inside job either with VRC dev's and someone inside Mintpal hence why the decision to rollback was such an easy out.

IMO mintpal are at fault and should pay - have no idea why VRC dev's would alter their coin for an exchange unless theres some shady business on the backend.
XbladeX
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:19:48 AM

I would bet this was somehow an inside job either with VRC dev's and someone inside Mintpal hence why the decision to rollback was such an easy out.

i agree with that something is wrong around whole situation...

Request / 26th September / 2022 APP-06-22-4587
adhitthana
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:47:59 AM

i agree with that something is wrong around whole situation...
Who would benefit from this though?  Huh
adhitthana
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:51:17 AM

IMO mintpal are at fault and should pay
Mintpal are paying anyone who lost out.
- have no idea why VRC dev's would alter their coin for an exchange unless theres some shady business on the backend.
They did not want a bad actor controlling and staking 30% of the coins, they said.
TR8888

Activity: 525

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:57:29 AM

Absolute madness, Mintpal was hacked to due their incompetence.. They should replace the funds themselves, Yes even if this means Mintpal go bust and VRC crashes. This is the ONLY option!! Rollback? Who the fuck do they think they are? Paypal?

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 10:02:09 AM

IMO mintpal are at fault and should pay
Mintpal are paying anyone who lost out.
- have no idea why VRC dev's would alter their coin for an exchange unless theres some shady business on the backend.
They did not want a bad actor controlling and staking 30% of the coins, they said.

SO what happens when another theft of 10% or 20% of the coin supply happens? Where is the cut off? Who decides this?

No main stream business will ever accept VRC for payment because of this precedent they just set off today.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 10:03:09 AM

Absolute madness, Mintpal was hacked to due their incompetence.. They should replace the funds themselves, Yes even if this means Mintpal go bust and VRC crashes. This is the ONLY option!! Rollback? Who the fuck do they think they are? Paypal?

"VeriCoin, The PayPal of Crypto"

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: