Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:36:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any runescapers here?  (Read 2082 times)
zhinkk (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:29:13 PM

I used to play runescape a lot around 2005-2010. It was pretty much my life. My parents would never let me buy membership, so I would always put $10 in a envelope and mail Jagex headquarters at night and they would give me membership. Funny story. Anyways, wouldn't it be great if Jagex accepted bitcoin? It seems like it would be a great payment option for them. Simply send bitcoins to an address, and get membership status on your account. They could use bitpay or whatever so they don't have to hold BTC.

Is there anyway I can get this going? Anyway to get a petition or something (I want to avoid those petition.org things because they seem very ineffective). Anyway of talking directly to Jagex's payment department?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tmbp

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:31:37 PM

I see kids slaving away at faucets to pay for their membership  Cheesy
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:34:12 PM

You could try emailing them and see what they say or using the support. I can't imagine you would get a reply but you can certainly try.

Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:40:18 PM

This would actually be hilarious and it probably would happen. Knowing how people are, sometimes it's priceless watching them.

Now that being said, Jagex would be making MASSIVE amounts of cash off of that, especially with the scenario you've presented. Some people don't even consider bitcoin as "real money" so some wouldn't even have trouble paying Jagex whatever amount it would be.

Since I'm a RuneScape player, every here and there, and I have signature campaigns to back me up, I could possibly buy memberships, if I felt so inclined as to do that.

I probably won't get a membership until I max some of my F2P skills, then I'll consider it.

I've even met a person who had joined that day and had purchased a membership - he had no idea what he was doing.
zhinkk (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:43:39 PM

Yeah, that's stupid lol. But people are desperate. I know I was (but I had better ways of doing it Tongue)

This would actually be hilarious and it probably would happen. Knowing how people are, sometimes it's priceless watching them.

Now that being said, Jagex would be making MASSIVE amounts of cash off of that, especially with the scenario you've presented. Some people don't even consider bitcoin as "real money" so some wouldn't even have trouble paying Jagex whatever amount it would be.

Since I'm a RuneScape player, every here and there, and I have signature campaigns to back me up, I could possibly buy memberships, if I felt so inclined as to do that.

I probably won't get a membership until I max some of my F2P skills, then I'll consider it.

I've even met a person who had joined that day and had purchased a membership - he had no idea what he was doing.

I agree with this. It's such a good opportunity for them and it makes it easy for us. And yeah, I've met those kinds of people. I guess it does help a little but there's really no reason for it. I would wait until you've cleared most F2P skills and quests and areas before moving onto membership stuff.
hollowframe

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:47:41 PM

I would find this very unlikely, as kids are very resourceful today and could probably acquire bitcoin if they were to pay for a service like this.
Baitty

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:48:51 PM

I would find this very unlikely, as kids are very resourceful today and could probably acquire bitcoin if they were to pay for a service like this.

Well put it this way their wouldn't be young anymore or if they waited for the faucet to pay for membership that would take years and years to get the amount to equal the membership fee.

Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:58:07 PM

If by resourceful you mean they can do stuff with just a credit card, yeah you're pretty much right.

If I had to choose between BTC or USD/CAN, I'd choose BTC. It has the potential to increase in value, UNLIKE the USD, and so I could get more bang for my buck using BTC. This would also benefit Jagex, as it could increase their balance sheets.

So I think Jagex accepting BTC would be a great way to have them earn some BTC.

Now something interesting that just passed through my mind was the thought that since Denmark had declared Bitcoin as "not real money" and it won't be taxed, is that if companies that started accepting BTC set up an office in Denmark that death with the BTC, it would cause less headache and they would only have to report it as normal income (post-exchange) in the US, making taxes easier.

I probably missed dozens of laws preventing this, but it's just a hypothetical question.
zhinkk (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:29:21 AM

If I had to choose between BTC or USD/CAN, I'd choose BTC. It has the potential to increase in value, UNLIKE the USD, and so I could get more bang for my buck using BTC. This would also benefit Jagex, as it could increase their balance sheets.

Well I wouldn't expect Jagex to keep the BTC. I mean, they can keep some if they want (doesn't overstock do this?) but convert it to USD immediately using bitpay or something. It would just be a lot more convenient for users.
iluvpie60

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 01:15:56 PM

I used to play runescape a lot around 2005-2010. It was pretty much my life. My parents would never let me buy membership, so I would always put $10 in a envelope and mail Jagex headquarters at night and they would give me membership. Funny story. Anyways, wouldn't it be great if Jagex accepted bitcoin? It seems like it would be a great payment option for them. Simply send bitcoins to an address, and get membership status on your account. They could use bitpay or whatever so they don't have to hold BTC.

Is there anyway I can get this going? Anyway to get a petition or something (I want to avoid those petition.org things because they seem very ineffective). Anyway of talking directly to Jagex's payment department?

07 Scape or GTFO. They ruined Runescape with their stupid Evolution of Combat(in which you still can't move by using WASD or arrow keys)....

The only reason I didn't go back to it was they screwed me over. I have like 12 skills to 99 and most are in high 80s. They really lost customers doing that stupid evolution of combat, only to re-release 07scape(to make you grind all over again in the game version most people want to play).

I suggest no one give Jagex anything, but that is imo ofc.
cryptopaths

Activity: 616

Crypto Knight

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:33:08 PM

07 Scape or GTFO. They ruined Runescape with their stupid Evolution of Combat(in which you still can't move by using WASD or arrow keys)....

The only reason I didn't go back to it was they screwed me over. I have like 12 skills to 99 and most are in high 80s. They really lost customers doing that stupid evolution of combat, only to re-release 07scape(to make you grind all over again in the game version most people want to play).

Legacy combat mode was just realeased yesterday. They basically put the old combat system back in place you can try it out if you want.
Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:36:59 PM

Legacy combat mode was just realeased yesterday. They basically put the old combat system back in place you can try it out if you want.
Did that put that into 07 or RS3?

I play RS3 only because it was the first RS I saw and decided to play, I'd go and play 07, since a lot of people say it's pretty good, but then I'd pretty much have to re-level as well as buy a membership. Plainest reasons why I don't play 07.

I've heard good things about the old combat system, so can anyone elaborate on it? What new features did they add?

And since we're kind of getting off topic, here's a little question to spark some other ideas, How would you feel about game publishers accepting bitcoin?
iluvpie60

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:46:53 PM

Whoaaa are you actually saying they put in the legacy combat system back into RS3??? That is amazing if that is what you are saying.... PLEASE BE TRUE!!! lol
zhinkk (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:49:09 PM

How does legacy combat and RS3 combat work together? They seem like completely different combat systems to me.
cryptopaths

Crypto Knight

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:49:16 PM

Did that put that into 07 or RS3?

I play RS3 only because it was the first RS I saw and decided to play, I'd go and play 07, since a lot of people say it's pretty good, but then I'd pretty much have to re-level as well as buy a membership. Plainest reasons why I don't play 07.

I've heard good things about the old combat system, so can anyone elaborate on it? What new features did they add?

And since we're kind of getting off topic, here's a little question to spark some other ideas, How would you feel about game publishers accepting bitcoin?

They put the Legacy combat system into RS3 yesterday just go in the settings and check the legacy combat box. They made the combat mode/interface what it was before the EOC combat expansion and they did some other things to and changed some things to what they were like before EOC.

Whoaaa are you actually saying they put in the legacy combat system back into RS3??? That is amazing if that is what you are saying.... PLEASE BE TRUE!!! lol

Yes that's what they did yesterday they added Legacy combat as an option in RS3 just check the box.

How does legacy combat and RS3 combat work together? They seem like completely different combat systems to me.

I just pked so far in Legacy so I'm not sure how they work together. But there are some Legacy only Pk worlds. In general I think you can choose which mode you wana use EOC/Legacy while playing in normal worlds I'm assuming the balance but not sure.
Experenza

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:18:42 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2014, 08:32:25 PM by Experenza

Runescape used to be awesome until they added trade limits. Balanced trade takes all the fun out of merchanting. When Jagex removed Pking, it was officially over for me. I heard they added it again, but it's not the same. Also the new combat system blows.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:22:05 PM

Runescape used to be awesome until they added trade limits. Balanced trade takes all the fun out of merchanting.

They removed trade limits.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 08:36:07 PM

I don't understand why a merchant / company would not accept bitcoin, at least through bitpay. It's a no brainer.

cryptopaths

Crypto Knight

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:45:33 PM

I don't understand why a merchant / company would not accept bitcoin, at least through bitpay. It's a no brainer.

Well one thing is it doesn't allow them recurring fees. For example with things like Netflix many people sign up for the first "free" month but they forget they have their credit card attached to there account. Resulting in them being charged every month when they might not even know/maybe stopped using netflix. This allows Netflix to make a lot more money, something like this wouldn't be possible with Bitcoin because you can't charge an address like that.
Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:08:06 PM

Runescape used to be awesome until they added trade limits. Balanced trade takes all the fun out of merchanting.

They removed trade limits.
When they'd do this??? Has it really changed that much!?

Well one thing is it doesn't allow them recurring fees. For example with things like Netflix many people sign up for the first "free" month but they forget they have their credit card attached to there account. Resulting in them being charged every month when they might not even know/maybe stopped using netflix. This allows Netflix to make a lot more money, something like this wouldn't be possible with Bitcoin because you can't charge an address like that.
I know that some companies that host wallets allow for recurring payments, I believe coinbase is an example, but this is true about how it is harder for such things to happen.

However, I have a feeling that some company in the near future will bring in a function like this. However, it will be more noticeable watching BTC being sucked away if a person is not using it very often, or doesn't have a large volume of transactions during the recurring time period, normally about a month.

That is an ingenious way Netflix set it up, however. Makes me want to set something up that's along the same lines.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: