Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:39:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is a confirmed and used Exploit resulting in cash profit considered a Hack ?
Yes - 48 (62.3%)
No - 14 (18.2%)
Maybe - 15 (19.5%)
Total Voters: 77

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Cryptsy was Hacked ?  (Read 6691 times)
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:11:34 AM
Last edit: July 15, 2014, 05:54:32 AM by Spoetnik

I am sure many of you know about a recent incident (couple weeks ago now i think)
Where some guy had found a way to exploit Cryptsy..

I had been "given" info from a few random sources as to what happened and i pieced together what i knew and had posted it briefly (on another topic the other day)
So it seems now after i have posted on this forum the Cryptsy staff are in a frenzy insisting they were not "hacked"
Makes sense because if it didn't happen their name is getting slandered unfairly.. i get that.

But i can summarize what i have heard about the incident and then ask you all do you consider that a hack or not.. please vote !

I was gonna let this all slide but since i have essentially been attacked and threatened and banned ..here comes the drama lol

Cryptsy i might add, so far has said virtually nothing publicly about what happened and at most had left a cryptic / vague message on their Main Page Twitter feed before.
Saying they simply rolled back "Points" ..obviously trying to down play it as much as possible.

So anyway the short version of what i heard from guys who where there when it happened and a mysterious un-named guy
was that Points was "Exploited / Hacked" and some guy had figured out a way to pretty much acquire on their systems HUGE massive amounts of POINTS.
 - Note: Points is Cryptsy's exchange currency of sorts.. a points program of some kind i think (not sure what to call it)
So after this mystery guy had got his unlimited points he was able to dump them for Bitcoin to the point the market had been dumped down to 4 satoshi's.
What happened at that point no one knows *publicly aside from Cryptsy found out and rolled back the points sell order / dumping.
And i assumed they banned the guys account.
At that time a mysterious character was popping up claiming to have been locked out of his account and another person and myself saved the guys ticket number
and said when we see a mod we would pass the ticket number on and try and get the guy some help on his account issue..
When i seen one of the mods i posted the guys ticket number and said can you help the guy with his account problem?
i was banned on the spot with no warning by an unseen mod (prob Jshock i assumed) ..so that was fishy lol

So another week or so later the same mysterious character popped up and was saying his account was locked and he would not tell me
if he was the same guy as before i tried to help out.. it was him though i am sure of it !
So since i had the fish on my hook and i was pretty sure i knew what was going on and i started to poke and prod this mystery guy about the Points Hack..

I started by telling him many times i was jealous of what he did and he should just tell me how to do it.. and he kept playing broken English dumb sort of..
And after a little while he dropped the act suddenly and started speaking rather confidently and was no longer sad about his account being locked
but was laughing his ass off hard and in a great mood and saying directly to me little comments like "what do i spend $89,7404 dollars on ?"
So i am pretty damn sure that was Mr. Points Thief based on ALL his comments combined and the rest of the info i had gotten etc..

The mystery guy nor Cryptsy ever said coins were stolen and taken off their servers 'AND' i did NOT say that happened at any time either !
BOTH parties were extremely vague as to what happened technicaly so anyone on Cryptsy Chat seeing it all or elsewhere had no recourse but to speculate..
And my guess was he dumped points down to 4 sat's and got Bitcoin of course then quickly pulled that Bitcoin out and cashed that Bitcoin out for over $89k usd
I think that is a rational assertion to come to..

Bottom line is i did not post false information anywhere at any time nor do i ever.. contrary to slanderous chat box comments implying i do i just got from JShock.
Further more i have repeated what information i had no more no less... i did not exaggerate or add to it etc. (i chose my words carefully as i ALWAYS do)
As it stands we were all told nothing and the market was rolled back ..screwing some people in the process who had dumped to buy up cheap points etc..

So explain to me how i don't have the right to call it a HACK when Cryptsy has to roll back the market and a guy says he got $89k ?
Sorry but if there was no hack then there would be nothing to roll back now would there ?

So hey why did around the same time the SAME GUY win the POINT'S drawing three times ? Care to answer why that happened ?

People deserve answers.. i *tried to provide what info i had nothing more.
Maybe you guys running exchanges should be transparent about hacker incidents and we won't have to piece together info to figure out what happened ?
It's on you guys NOT me !

So VOTE ? IS a confirmed and verified Exploit considered a Hack ?

Further reading ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_%28computer_security%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacking:_The_Art_of_Exploitation_Second_Edition

FUD first & ask questions later™

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitwho
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:10:01 AM

oh man. thanks for sharing. hope we get some insight on this
MysticalCockFungus

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:01:10 AM

Im gana say nah, it seems like this guy figured out a way to cheat the points system through some sort of trading between accounts or something, if he had actually managed to break into cryptsy and mess around on there servers then that would count as hacking.

V O L E N T I X   █   Decentralized Change   █   3rd Party DAPP Platform
▬ •  VENUE  • ▬  Social Rewards Platform   █   ANN   TWITTER   TELEGRAM   █   ▬ • VDEX • ▬  Decentralized Exchange
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    ( V ) BETA TESTER  |  Designed by Zpectrum    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
boxuser

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Credits CRD 1st Decentralized Exchange coin

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 09:33:35 AM

wait what?

CryptsyJim

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 10:41:36 AM
Last edit: July 15, 2014, 10:58:21 AM by CryptsyJim

I am sure many of you know about a recent incident (couple weeks ago now i think)
Where some guy had found a way to exploit Cryptsy..

I had been "given" info from a few random sources as to what happened and i pieced together what i knew and had posted it briefly (on another topic the other day)
So it seems now after i have posted on this forum the Cryptsy staff are in a frenzy insisting they were not "hacked"
Makes sense because if it didn't happen their name is getting slandered unfairly.. i get that.

But i can summarize what i have heard about the incident and then ask you all do you consider that a hack or not.. please vote !

I was gonna let this all slide but since i have essentially been attacked and threatened and banned ..here comes the drama lol

Cryptsy i might add, so far has said virtually nothing publicly about what happened and at most had left a cryptic / vague message on their Main Page Twitter feed before.
Saying they simply rolled back "Points" ..obviously trying to down play it as much as possible.

So anyway the short version of what i heard from guys who where there when it happened and a mysterious un-named guy
was that Points was "Exploited / Hacked" and some guy had figured out a way to pretty much acquire on their systems HUGE massive amounts of POINTS.
 - Note: Points is Cryptsy's exchange currency of sorts.. a points program of some kind i think (not sure what to call it)
So after this mystery guy had got his unlimited points he was able to dump them for Bitcoin to the point the market had been dumped down to 4 satoshi's.
What happened at that point no one knows *publicly aside from Cryptsy found out and rolled back the points sell order / dumping.
And i assumed they banned the guys account.
At that time a mysterious character was popping up claiming to have been locked out of his account and another person and myself saved the guys ticket number
and said when we see a mod we would pass the ticket number on and try and get the guy some help on his account issue..
When i seen one of the mods i posted the guys ticket number and said can you help the guy with his account problem?
i was banned on the spot with no warning by an unseen mod (prob Jshock i assumed) ..so that was fishy lol

So another week or so later the same mysterious character popped up and was saying his account was locked and he would not tell me
if he was the same guy as before i tried to help out.. it was him though i am sure of it !
So since i had the fish on my hook and i was pretty sure i knew what was going on and i started to poke and prod this mystery guy about the Points Hack..

I started by telling him many times i was jealous of what he did and he should just tell me how to do it.. and he kept playing broken English dumb sort of..
And after a little while he dropped the act suddenly and started speaking rather confidently and was no longer sad about his account being locked
but was laughing his ass off hard and in a great mood and saying directly to me little comments like "what do i spend $89,7404 dollars on ?"
So i am pretty damn sure that was Mr. Points Thief based on ALL his comments combined and the rest of the info i had gotten etc..

The mystery guy nor Cryptsy ever said coins were stolen and taken off their servers 'AND' i did NOT say that happened at any time either !
BOTH parties were extremely vague as to what happened technicaly so anyone on Cryptsy Chat seeing it all or elsewhere had no recourse but to speculate..
And my guess was he dumped points down to 4 sat's and got Bitcoin of course then quickly pulled that Bitcoin out and cashed that Bitcoin out for over $89k usd
I think that is a rational assertion to come to..

Bottom line is i did not post false information anywhere at any time nor do i ever.. contrary to slanderous chat box comments implying i do i just got from JShock.
Further more i have repeated what information i had no more no less... i did not exaggerate or add to it etc. (i chose my words carefully as i ALWAYS do)
As it stands we were all told nothing and the market was rolled back ..screwing some people in the process who had dumped to buy up cheap points etc..

So explain to me how i don't have the right to call it a HACK when Cryptsy has to roll back the market and a guy says he got $89k ?
Sorry but if there was no hack then there would be nothing to roll back now would there ?

So hey why did around the same time the SAME GUY win the POINT'S drawing three times ? Care to answer why that happened ?

People deserve answers.. i *tried to provide what info i had nothing more.
Maybe you guys running exchanges should be transparent about hacker incidents and we won't have to piece together info to figure out what happened ?
It's on you guys NOT me !

Further reading ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_%28computer_security%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacking:_The_Art_of_Exploitation_Second_Edition

As I stated in your previous post.  The problem was quickly identified, corrected and no funds ever left Cryptsy.
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:23:43 PM

The only response i want to hear from any Cryptsy staff is "I'm sorry" .

i have a chat log showing i was polite and took it all calmly and eventually had enough
of being threatened and insulted and bullied and eventually banned for no good reason.

I will not tolerate being treated like crap from any business.. period.

And i am not running a business and i am free to make any kind of assertion or review of any service i like.
it's my duty to the public to share my experiences with a service so they know what they are getting into.
Such as you will get treated like shit or your money is *possibly in jeopardy via scheming jerks running a *possibly corrupt service.

This Cryptsy guy JShock showed up some time around December 2013 i think.
I don't who he is, what other names he uses or his role there..
And if he chooses to come after me an explanation of who he is before trying to tear into me would have been nice.
Maybe he has no clue what has gone on in the last year and two months with Cryptsy ?
I do.
I registered 1 month and 18 days after they opened their doors.

They love playing the whole mystery guy routine and saying little about what goes on.. same on most exchanges.
They will lurk in the shadows and tell you nothing act like cocky big shots.
Being a chat box moderator at an exchange does not make you some big bad ass in Crypto sorry.
And when you guys make everything you can a big secret you get what you get.. speculation galore !

I don't run a service or coin in any way so i can say what i want.
You do ? then you are required to operate with professionalism.
Or don't your choice..

I could write a book on Cryptsy related antics that have gone on in the past year.. a foot thick lol

I support each and every USER out there that use services like exchanges and i will stick up for them any chance i get.
And i tell ya all, if something LOOKS fishy then too bad.. don't get caught in positions that looks fishy then (over and over and over and over)
get it ?

So uhhh is the same guy none of us have ever heard of going to Win the Cryptsy Points Prize drawing contest for the 4th time ?
What was i saying about things that LOOK "fishy" ??
But i guess i will get mouthed off intimidated, bullied and threatened with slander lawsuits since i just asked that right ?
Oh yeah and then banned..
Gimme a break lol
I don't suppose anyone else seen something fishy happen before at cryptsy eh ?
I *may have seen a thing or two in my time  Cool

LOL you guys got some nerve

murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:27:20 PM

[...]

A random anonymous guy in a chat box claims to have thousands of dollars, and that counts as a confirmed and used Exploit resulting in cash profit?
Want to buy a bridge?

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:52:24 PM

Judging from what you've shared it does look like Cryptsy was hacked. An equivalent activity in a traditional financial setting would certainly be illegal and the perpretator would be held accountable. The victims are everyone else who legitimately acquired Cryptsy points and has seen their worth diminished as a result.

Come on Cryptsy, open up and talk about it. When I got into crypto my impression was they were #1, whereas now it looks like Mintpal and Bittrex are bigger IIRC. (Though that may change soon for Mintpal, I'm guessing.)

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
StephenJH

Activity: 1442
Merit: 521

No more Rekt and Bust

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:20:02 PM

Spoetnik,
You're obviously smart and you normally shed decent insight in the chatbox. But in my opinion you've also been a bit of an anti-cryptsy troll, in their own chatbox, for the last year as well.

I was there during the points fiasco of 2014. I spent BTC on cheap points, these points being taken away from my account during the roll-back.[my btc was returned to my account] Was I a little upset? Yes. Do I agree with the roll-back? Yes.

Further, I would not share information on these types of events if I were cryptsy either. It gives other unscrupulous characters possibly sensitive info.

███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FortuneJack.
  ▄█▄        █           ▄
 ▄████▄▄ ▄▄▀▀██▄▄      ▄███
█▄███████▄▄██████▄▄▄█████
 █▄██████▌▀▄▄███▀▄▄▄▀▀██
  ▄▀████ █▄██▄██▄▄▄▄▀██
   ▀▀▄▀███▀▀▄▄▀▀▀▀█████▀▄
     ████▄▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄███▄█
    ▐▌▄█████▀   ▄▄▄█▄▄  ███
     ▀█▄▀█▀▀▄  ████▀███▄▀
       ▐▌▄ ▄█▄█▀██▌ ▀▄
       █▄████▀▀    ▄▄▄█▄
        ▀▄▄▀▄▄▄▀▀▀██▄▄
           ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀
|
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ BY
HACKSAW
G  A  M  I  N  G
          ▄▀▀▀▄
     ▄▄▀▀██▄▄█▄▄
   ▄█▀████████▄▀▀██▄
▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄█████▐███▄
▀██▄▀█▀▀▀▀███▀▀▐▌
█▄██▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▄██▐▌
▐▀▀▄▀▀▀▀  ▀  ▀█▀████▀
 ▀█▀  ▐▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀ ▄▀██▄
 █  ▄██████████▄  ▄█▄
▐▌▀▀█████████████████
▐▌ ▐  ▀▌   ▀  ▀██▀▄█
 ▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▄▄▀▀
   ▀▀▄▄█▀▀█▄▄▄▄█▀▀
|
....OVER $2,000,000!....
ALREADY GIVEN AWAY
IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS
....PLAY NOW....
BitJohn

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

@Bit_John

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:08:30 PM

Problem is Spoetnik my friend your just wrong and this is obviously some agenda.

Unlike other exchanges we are audited externally and we are under the laws of the US compliance brings a whole new set of laws and oversight on us. Bottom line is Cryptsy lost no money.

For exactly the reasons StephenJH stated we would give more information on our security and processes but it opens the door for malicious activity. Next to BTC-e were the oldest alt-exchange out there tried and tested some hiccups here and there. We have 40 employees and are publicly facing you can drive in and visit for that matter. Choose to believe us or not everything about our operation is above board.
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:44:33 PM

Unlike other exchanges we are audited externally and we are under the laws of the US compliance brings a whole new set of laws and oversight on us. Bottom line is Cryptsy lost no money.

In my post 2 messages above yours, I point out that the victims of such a hack would be customers whose holdings of Cryptsy points saw their value diminished. Cryptsy would not be the victim. Can you confirm that the Cryptsy point system has never been gamed/hacked/manipulated unfairly leading to such dumping of Cryptsy points?

BitJohn

@Bit_John

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:36:03 PM

The market was gamed for a very short period of time the system flagged the activity. No funds were moved and the market was rolled back. Points are not run the same as coins different systems in place and infrastructure since its not a coin it is a reward point system. Anyone who profited profited from the gamed system and anyone who lost was likewise affected by the decision and yes this is unfortunate but IS the course of action taken. Of course we cannot replace lost opportunity cost.

I will see if we can work something out as a special to compensate folks a bit no promises.

Oddly this was some time ago and is likely only coming up now from folks running cover for something that happened recently elsewhere that is a tad more dramatic....
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:47:49 PM

Thanks for the clarification and transparency.  Smiley

palmcoins

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 09:12:25 PM

Interesting but at least we know Cryptsy hasn't lost any money nor customer's coins!  Smiley
Wulfcastle

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 09:43:29 PM

The market was gamed for a very short period of time the system flagged the activity. No funds were moved and the market was rolled back. Points are not run the same as coins different systems in place and infrastructure since its not a coin it is a reward point system. Anyone who profited profited from the gamed system and anyone who lost was likewise affected by the decision and yes this is unfortunate but IS the course of action taken. Of course we cannot replace lost opportunity cost.

I will see if we can work something out as a special to compensate folks a bit no promises.

Were the drawings competitions also gamed, with one guy winning on 3 occasions?

Oddly this was some time ago and is likely only coming up now from folks running cover for something that happened recently elsewhere that is a tad more dramatic....

Hehe, expect an influx of users heading back to Cryptsy after those recent events. Anyway it's good to see some transparency here, good job.
BitJohn

@Bit_John

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 10:05:06 PM

Were the drawings competitions also gamed, with one guy winning on 3 occasions?

Hehe, expect an influx of users heading back to Cryptsy after those recent events. Anyway it's good to see some transparency here, good job.

The drawings thing is a crazy anomaly that I have discussed in another thread at length and is also discussed in our blog http://blog.cryptsy.com/. So after the same guy won twice in a row we totally reviewed the algorithm and found it to be sound. So yes he actually won. Now this did lead us to change our system so the same guy cant win two weeks in a row. But heck folks have won the powerball more than once which is significantly greater odds.
Slingshot

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 12:40:58 AM

The market was gamed for a very short period of time the system flagged the activity. No funds were moved and the market was rolled back. Points are not run the same as coins different systems in place and infrastructure since its not a coin it is a reward point system. Anyone who profited profited from the gamed system and anyone who lost was likewise affected by the decision and yes this is unfortunate...

Thanks for posting all this BitJohn.

Yes, "gamed" the system would be the most accurate term. I wont bother to vote because it's not a hack in any real sense from the outside but instead someone apparently found a way to scam the rewards system (but apparently failed to get the scammed/stolen funds out of Cryptsy). Scamming (gaming the system, legal or otherwise) isn't hacking in any true sense, but whatever, call it whatever you people care to call it.

Time after time Cryptsy has risen to the occasion, much to the anger and ire of it's competitors.

No, I wont answer nor continue any further discussion in this thread.

This was merely a statement for those not familiar with the happenings herein.

I only see great things occurring for all customers because of all the competition in the Exchange business. Certain competitors such as Cryptsy apparently have enough class NOT to spread disinformation, misinformation, and outright lies.

Of course apparently that's not true of all competitors. hence why I sign with...

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware!
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 04:03:44 AM

you can call it what ever you guys want but the poll backs me up clearly.

I was TREATED Like SHIT ..by your staff Cryptsy

Because ?

I posted the truth !

What i said was 100% honest and truthful.
Whether or not people want to play games with verbal gymnastics or not doesn't matter.

Whether the mystery-guy's claims to have attained roughly $89,000 OFF the Cryptsy servers or not (in some form or another) is NOT the point.

He said, she said..
Who do i believe a guy who exploited the server or Cryptsy ?
uhhh that mystery guy has not lied to me before and i know for a fact Cryptsy HAS.

Further more no one on the internet uses the term "game'd the system"
they say "you were hacked".. don't play dumb games about it.
i know Interweb terminology pretty well ..so i know lol

The whole competition is trying to pick on Cryptsy because their jealous routine is a joke LOL
50% of this forum can probably step up and tell their own story of "Fishy" Cryptsy games & bullshit.

hey Cryptsy ..want me to post a few million other moronic ballsy greedy stunts you have pulled ?

reality check Cryptsy guys.. I have credibility.. do YOU ?
You don't want me to make a poll on that do you Wink

Or better yet search the keyword Cryptsy here and look for yourself.. that should say it all.

You guys have habitually treated people like shit and screwed around with people's money etc..
and if your going to make a habit of it and get worse with it i will remind people off your notorious reputation.
i'm all for forgiving and forgetting and moving on but if you gonna keep repeating the same problematic behavior then..

and i will remind you Crytsy staff the only thing i want here out of you is "i am sorry" .

Willisius

Activity: 364

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 04:56:52 AM

you can call it what ever you guys want but the poll backs me up clearly.

Well actually IDK about this, but I voted yes because the answer to the poll's question is yes: "Is a confirmed and used Exploit resulting in cash profit considered a Hack ?"
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 06:14:34 AM

It doesn't need to result in cash profits to be called a hack. Anyway topic is misleading.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: