Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:39:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help petition the Red Cross to accept BTC  (Read 3681 times)
gjgjg (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:47:15 PM

Not only are the ICRC doing great work all over the world for years, but it would really help BTC towards general acceptance if organisations like these high profile charities accepted BTC.

I have no idea why they don't already, I thought charities would be beating retailers to the acceptance finish line considering how much it could benefit them to get money quickly and easily and also allow people to send a few pennies rather than the minimum amounts credit cards restrict people to. Not to mention how much easier it would be for them with tax status and borderlessness:p
I also think Charities would be more receptive to petitions too as they are all about spreading awareness etc so have some kind of sympathy with this kind of thing.

Anyway, if this goes well I'll try the same with other charities. Please spam people on FB and whatever with it.

https://www.change.org/petitions/the-red-cross-icrc-accept-bitcoin-donations

Also, sorry; yes - another petition ugh:p

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 04:32:00 PM

Given that they accept donations, I don't think there is any reason they would be against accepting BTC. I would think they would be open to accepting any kind of money. I know that I would,  if I was in charge of a non-profit
nkocevar

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 04:54:43 PM

I signed this. I am surprised that one of these petitions havent been created until now. Anyways I agree with the above poster... there is no reason for them not to accept it!

hollowframe

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 04:56:51 PM

Given that they accept donations, I don't think there is any reason they would be against accepting BTC. I would think they would be open to accepting any kind of money. I know that I would,  if I was in charge of a non-profit
Charities need to be able to report how they spend their money as donations to them are tax deductible. Accepting donations via bitcoin will complicate this greatly as it is not easy to prove exactly how much was spent on what when you are dealing with bitcoins. Yes all transactions are publicly available on the blockchain but it is not always clear exactly when someone paid money to someone else or when someone just transferred their own bitcoin to another address that they control.
nkocevar

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 05:07:02 PM

Charities need to be able to report how they spend their money as donations to them are tax deductible. Accepting donations via bitcoin will complicate this greatly as it is not easy to prove exactly how much was spent on what when you are dealing with bitcoins. Yes all transactions are publicly available on the blockchain but it is not always clear exactly when someone paid money to someone else or when someone just transferred their own bitcoin to another address that they control.

They could easily just transfer the said bitcoins to fiat, correct? Then they shoudnt have a problem reporting it as long as they show all transaction history.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4525

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 05:30:29 PM

im sorry but can people please read their financials.. these corporate institutions are not as charitable as you think. for instance, the haiti disaster. with well over $100mill donated, less than $30mill got to the actual peopl on the frontline that needed the fnds in haiti. the other near $100mill was cyphoned off to admin, wags, travel, PR, advertising.

so i do not at all think bitcoins should be givn to such institutions. imagine it for every bitcoin donated only 0.22 reaches someone in need!!

bitcoin is suppose to be different and is suppose to turn the corporate profiteering upside down and then bury it. so please people think smart when using bitcoins, and stop just thinking about the PR it may give bitcoins just so that you can sell out at a profit. think about the long term retirement millionaire you can be, instead of the small profit of a 6 month investment. purely due to a advertising pmp and dump, such as what doge done with the racecar...

think long term, think wisely about bitcoins true value.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
nkocevar

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 05:34:27 PM

im sorry but can people please read their financials.. these corporate institutions are not as charitable as you think. for instance, the haiti disaster. with well over $100mill donated, less than $30mill got to the actual peopl on the frontline that needed the fnds in haiti. the other near $100mill was cyphoned off to admin, wags, travel, PR, advertising.

so i do not at all think bitcoins should be givn to such institutions. imagine it for every bitcoin donated only 0.22 reaches someone in need!!

bitcoin is suppose to be different and is suppose to turn the corporate profiteering upside down and then bury it. so please people think smart when using bitcoins, and stop just thinking about the PR it may give bitcoins just so that you can sell out at a profit. think about the long term retirement millionaire you can be, instead of the small profit of a 6 month investment. purely due to a advertising pmp and dump, such as what doge done with the racecar...

think long term, think wisely about bitcoins true value.

Any company will still have some sort of margin. Whether its goodwill or the red cross, they all have different types of fees that NEED to be paid.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 05:59:35 PM

It is worth the extra work, if it can help save people in need though, don't you think?
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 06:36:35 PM

start a petition so that a company is willing to accept free money?!  Huh ... i give a shit on the red cross. when they dont want free money, others will take it.

hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:49:42 PM

Although it is a worthy endeavor to have a charity accept bitcoins, the Red Cross isn't one of those charities. There are many more worthwhile charities to be focused on. Maybe this idea should be expanded to something along those lines?
hollowframe

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 12:00:02 AM

It is worth the extra work, if it can help save people in need though, don't you think?
I would question if it would even be possible to reliably audit a company's bitcoin holdings when the entity may be under-reporting the amount of coins that they hold. It would be easy to verify that an entity has at least "x" coins because the company could simply sign a message with all addresses that hold coins. But there is no real way to confirm that they don't have less bitcoin then they are reporting.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4525

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 12:23:58 AM

we should not be advertising that we are throwing away good money.. (bitcoins)

we should be advertising that we are smarter then the FIAT lot, that we care about keping bitcoin to have a true value and that people should be throwing their FIAT away..

for instance

bitcoin is $650
"for every bitcoin bought we will give $20 not to the red cross but to a frontline poverty/crisis service actually there helping those in need face to face, (EG seans outpost)"

not
"someone gave 5000 bitcoins to red cross, red cross converted it to fiat for a spot price of $600 each (=$3m) and red cross used 500k for disaster relief and red cross CEO got his pension pot refilled with the rest

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 01:40:38 AM

I've signed the petition as well as emailed them.

Anyone else who doesn't like red cross or doesn't want to support them,  that is certainly their choice and I respect it.  Ultimately choose whatever charities/programs you feel are best,  and if they aren't accepting bitcoin already then talk to them about it.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:38:30 AM

agree with everything franky1 says in his posts

also look into greenpeace, recently, how they lost millions just speculating on financial markets, yet don't even accept btc
there are some real idiots at big charities.

support the really small charities that have a proven record on a shoestring, with pure volunteers, they risk being wiped out like small business yet have some of the best people,  a small donation can mean a huge difference to the charity and the people they help

don't get me wrong redcross do amazing work but will never go out of 'business' they get gov. money too and are very high profile

again people like seans outpost are truly good people.

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
gjgjg (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 11:26:32 AM

we should not be advertising that we are throwing away good money.. (bitcoins)

we should be advertising that we are smarter then the FIAT lot, that we care about keping bitcoin to have a true value and that people should be throwing their FIAT away..

for instance

bitcoin is $650
"for every bitcoin bought we will give $20 not to the red cross but to a frontline poverty/crisis service actually there helping those in need face to face, (EG seans outpost)"

not
"someone gave 5000 bitcoins to red cross, red cross converted it to fiat for a spot price of $600 each (=$3m) and red cross used 500k for disaster relief and red cross CEO got his pension pot refilled with the rest
agree with everything franky1 says in his posts

also look into greenpeace, recently, how they lost millions just speculating on financial markets, yet don't even accept btc
there are some real idiots at big charities.

support the really small charities that have a proven record on a shoestring, with pure volunteers, they risk being wiped out like small business yet have some of the best people,  a small donation can mean a huge difference to the charity and the people they help

don't get me wrong redcross do amazing work but will never go out of 'business' they get gov. money too and are very high profile

again people like seans outpost are truly good people.

I agree that ICRC are not perfect, and of course they are not 100% efficient (I didn't fully digest their long ass reports in which they outline their spending: http://www.icrc.org/eng/assets/files/annual-report/icrc-annual-report-2013.pdf) but they are highly visible and active charity who, if they adopted BTC, would go a long way to getting others to start using BTC to give to charity and other charities to jump on board AND help some people in need along the way - not in a 100% efficient way, but still in some way. And despite any operational costs etc I still believe RC do good work and have a long standing reputation that most charities do not and are active world wide - that doesnt mean there arent any other charities that are more efficient or do better work, Im sure there are loads of them that do a better job than RC in many ways but the RC is a good balance of size, reach, range of work they do, reputation and results. Again, that doesnt mean they are perfect or other charities dont deserve attention too! If there are other charities that should be petitioned then lets go for that tooSmiley

In regard to wasting BTC by giving to RC, as other said, RC and ANY organisation have some operational costs and inefficiencies, thats unavoidable, but if you were to send BTC to a disaster or war zone right now, then who should you send it to? If RC accepted it today, I would send some for the work they do with Palestinian prisoners because of the current 'conflict'. If next week theres a typhoon in SE Asia killing another 200k people, then I'd send it to the RC to help out there too. If I were looking for an alternative where 95% of the BTC will be 95% effective to the people on the ground in the way franky is hinting at, then what do i do? Scour the internet for someone claiming to be a beaten kid in an israeli prison or someone whos house was washed away? Im sure that would create some BTC to go spent in unintended and uncharitble ways...

Maybe theres a charity metacritic site somewhere (copyright me if not! ; ) where I could find better organisations for different things, but right now I think getting big names like RC on the BTC train is the way to go. If anyone else wants to start a petition to get another charity on board Id be happy to sign that too:)

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
gjgjg (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 11:28:05 AM

I've signed the petition as well as emailed them.

Thanks to you and everyone else who signed it so far:)

Anyone else who doesn't like red cross or doesn't want to support them,  that is certainly their choice and I respect it.  Ultimately choose whatever charities/programs you feel are best,  and if they aren't accepting bitcoin already then talk to them about it.

ditto!

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 12:20:43 PM

please start the petition, I will link to it from bitcoinadoption.org
also looking for other petitions. pm me

tavitavi

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 01:08:34 PM

Not only are the ICRC doing great work all over the world for years, but it would really help BTC towards general acceptance if organisations like these high profile charities accepted BTC.

I have no idea why they don't already, I thought charities would be beating retailers to the acceptance finish line considering how much it could benefit them to get money quickly and easily and also allow people to send a few pennies rather than the minimum amounts credit cards restrict people to. Not to mention how much easier it would be for them with tax status and borderlessness:p
I also think Charities would be more receptive to petitions too as they are all about spreading awareness etc so have some kind of sympathy with this kind of thing.

Anyway, if this goes well I'll try the same with other charities. Please spam people on FB and whatever with it.

Have you tried asking them?
gjgjg (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 01:32:14 PM

please start the petition, I will link to it from bitcoinadoption.org
also looking for other petitions. pm me

It's running:

thanks for linking it:)

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
gjgjg (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 01:34:37 PM

Have you tried asking them?

sent an email, no reply.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: