Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 01:28:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin alternative  (Read 1422 times)
CharHill (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 05:43:11 PM

I read about bitcoin ecological system. That system, in my opinion, isn't ecological. With not so many miners that system can to work, and we can to ignore loss energy, but with many miners, we can't to ignore it.
   Do someone can make a new more ecological bitcoin alternative, or that system already done??

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4533

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 05:48:30 PM

I read about bitcoin ecological system. That system, in my opinion, isn't ecological. With not so many miners that system can to work, and we can to ignore loss energy, but with many miners, we can't to ignore it.
   Do someone can make a new more ecological bitcoin alternative, or that system already done??

bitcoins impact on the world eco system due to electricity use is small, in comparison.

bitcoin (world wide) 145mwatt per day
las vegas (one city) 5000mwatt per day.

other protocols use less electric. such as proof-of-stake. but these do not protect their blockchain, using difficult 'puzzles' (excuse my laymans use of description)

Proof -of stake is weak security and us only to make the rich, richer. (those that hold most coin get most reward). with bitcoin the electric is used to create difficult blocks that a simple computer could not break.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 05:49:56 PM

Oh my goodness STOP WITH THESE THREADS.

I have answered 2 in the past day saying how the network uses 2.6% of Las Vegas and another small fraction of New York, so there isn't an ecological problem.

There have been calculations, people even saying how little power is consumed, etc.

Why are these STILL being made? STOP!
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 05:56:19 PM

There are alternative cryptocurrencies that do not use mining, using a "proof of stake" scheme
instead of Bitcoin's proof of work.

However, they have security limitations that are possibly quite serious, and
are also questionable as far as their initial distribution, since no work was
done to acquire the currency.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 06:33:24 PM

Learn first.  Then talk.

The things you are saying are inaccurate and misleading.  You have been misinformed.

reg

Activity: 463
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 06:40:15 PM

There are alternative cryptocurrencies that do not use mining, using a "proof of stake" scheme
instead of Bitcoin's proof of work.

However, they have security limitations that are possibly quite serious, and
are also questionable as far as their initial distribution, since no work was
done to acquire the currency.

In other words created out of nothing to advantage a few elete! sounds familiar (www.philanthropyandphilosophy.com)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 07:33:22 PM

The best thing we can do for the environment is promote Bitcoin so that all of these third world countries can grow their economies and modernize.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Skele

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 07:46:40 PM

Manufacturing Fiat wastes more energy, incredibly more (i have answered this kind of threats three or four times). But if you are really worried about it, perhaps in a few years more efficient  and cheap mining hardware will be arrived...
slaveforanunnak1

Activity: 743
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 07:53:34 PM

The best thing we can do for the environment is promote Bitcoin so that all of these third world countries can grow their economies and modernize.

I'm not sure how modernizing something will be more energy efficient? what is more energy efficient? Tokyo or a village?
I'm not saying 3rd world should not modernize
waldox

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 08:41:28 PM

>yakamoto
if you want these threads to stop then stop bumping them up with your replies

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 09:08:23 PM

I'm not sure how modernizing something will be more energy efficient? what is more energy efficient? Tokyo or a village?
I'm not saying 3rd world should not modernize

http://www.ilo.org/oshenc/part-vii/environmental-health-hazards/item/498-developing-countries-and-pollution

This inefficiency is also based in part on the need to rely on outdated technologies which are freely available, do not require an expensive licence or that do not cost as much to use. These technologies are often more polluting than the state-of-the-art technologies available to industry in developed countries.

Third world countries still rely on diesel, wood, etc. for fuel. They aren't even close to thinking about solar, wind or hydro due to the economic investment required.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Bogleg

Activity: 185

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:22:03 PM

There is no competition to bitcoin yet. Doesn't mean there won't be one in the future.
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:43:06 PM

There is no competition to bitcoin yet. Doesn't mean there won't be one in the future.
highly unlikely most 'competition' are trying to do the same thing as Bitcoin which will never make it any better. it would need to be a unique idea to beat it now.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
slaveforanunnak1

Activity: 743
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:37:35 PM

Like Andreas said, BTC is not AOL. BTC is IPv4.

watchtheskies

Activity: 137

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:41:20 PM

HYPER does not have mining at all and is 100% low energy. Anyone can run HYPER on their desktop computer or laptop and earn 5% monthly interest for supporting the network. No mining required https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=624651.0

You can also get HYPER for free here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=695339

Currently staking TEK and HYPER
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:56:16 PM

I wonder why people can't let it go.  The current financial system is not good, these bankers fund wars.  The last thing you should be worried about is something like this.  If you really cared about the environment you would take a look at the big picture.  If the world goes into some type of nuclear war or worse will a few miners don't even come close to the loss of life and nuclear fallout around the planet.  Bitcoin at least represents change and wakes people up so the ends justify the means IMO.
tondaS

Activity: 122

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:58:18 PM

Proof of Stake is ecological, but unfortunatelly not secure.
Proof of Work is best option imo and every improvenment in J/GHs is helping ecology.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 11:21:44 PM

bitcoins impact on the world eco system due to electricity use is small, in comparison.

bitcoin (world wide) 145mwatt per day
las vegas (one city) 5000mwatt per day.

other protocols use less electric. such as proof-of-stake. but these do not protect their blockchain, using difficult 'puzzles' (excuse my laymans use of description)

Proof -of stake is weak security and us only to make the rich, richer. (those that hold most coin get most reward). with bitcoin the electric is used to create difficult blocks that a simple computer could not break.
+1 for this. Yet nobody complains on how much electricity Las Vegas spends.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 11:34:01 PM

by far the best two. if you have any questions ask over on the threads cos it will only turn into a big debate between PoW people and PoS people and iv had my fill of those for a while. Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=654845.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=587007.0

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 11:38:08 PM

Proof of Stake is ecological, but unfortunatelly not secure.
Proof of Work is best option imo and every improvenment in J/GHs is helping ecology.

not true

let me guess, "its not secure because of "history attack" and "nothing at stake attack"

thats not true. atleast not in relation to nxt.

proof?

read this thread

https://nxtforum.org/general-discussion/bounty-for-successful-nothing-at-stake-attack/40/

vitalik buterin of ethereum agrees that nxt does not have these faults and does things much better than the majority think.

read the thread

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀