Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:53:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trust Will Kill Bitcoin  (Read 1135 times)
keanbosch (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:47:30 PM

That is according to this article http://www.ahametals.com/trust-will-kill-bitcoin/

To cryptocurrency enthusiasts, “trust” is a dirty word. “We have proposed a system for electronic transactions without relying on trust,” Satoshi Nakamoto wrote in the original manifesto proposing the decentralized currency. That’s what made the system better than traditional fiat money

“It’s money 2.0, a huge huge huge deal.”
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:55:40 PM

trusting a 3rd party human can never work.
byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:57:59 PM

But we haven't reached that point yet, we still have to trust each other, trust miners to not perform double spends and 51% attacks, trust the devs to come up with a solution in case something happens.
Towlie

Activity: 65

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:59:02 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2015, 07:04:39 PM by Towlie

I don't understand how trust will kill it. It's people's trust in fiat and governments that will lead to the demise of things.

1HT71SAuv49EFYQsXGnUd2QcS7ZhWHqNRp
Kayex

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:59:35 PM

If you're so worried about trust, couldn't you use allcrypt or localbitcoins, or anything similar?

byt411

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 03:01:09 PM

If you're so worried about trust, couldn't you use allcrypt or localbitcoins, or anything similar?

LocalBitcoin relies heavily on trust. You have to trust LocalBitcoins, a third party, and the other guy, which is even worse than direct p2p transactions.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 03:14:51 PM

There is no need to trust anyone with bitcoin and that is one of it's most important features. In fact in the early days I think I remember Satoshi referring to his idea as "trust-less cash" rather than bitcoin.

Any additional layers in the bitcoin economy that rely on trust are unnecessary. And that is why I think this article has it wrong. I would not use bitcoin if it required trust. This website may not understand my position as their business (gold sales) relies heavily on trust. When I buy bulk gold I have to go through a whole process of having the gold assayed and tested. When a bitcoin arrives in my wallet the transaction is over and I can be confident that it is authentic. Trust is not wanted or needed in bitcoin. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
byt411

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 03:15:55 PM

There is no need to trust anyone with bitcoin and that is one of it's most important features. In fact in the early days I think I remember Satoshi referring to his idea as "trust-less cash" rather than bitcoin.

Any additional layers in the bitcoin economy that rely on trust are unnecessary. And that is why I think this article has it wrong. I would not use bitcoin if it required trust. This website may not understand my position as their business (gold sales) relies heavily on trust. When I buy bulk gold I have to go through a whole process of having the gold assayed and tested. When a bitcoin arrives in my wallet the transaction is over and I can be confident that it is authentic. Trust is not wanted or needed in bitcoin. 

Again, you still have to trust the miners and the network that no one has 51% hashrate to double spend and invalidate that transaction.
emeraldforce

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 03:35:14 PM

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 03:37:06 PM

Again, you still have to trust the miners and the network that no one has 51% hashrate to double spend and invalidate that transaction.

I do see your point but trusting a majority is different than trying to discern who is a bad actor. I also have to trust my ISP to not block the network, etc. But I have reason to believe that the miners will act rationally as it is in their best interest to keep the network healthy. Kinda like trusting your cab driver not to drive off a bridge. Sure he could do it, but it makes no sense and is in no ones interest.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 06:00:42 PM

You can audit the network to some degree to check to see if anyone potentially controls 51% of the hashrate, and can see if someone is carrying out this kind of attack.

The miners have incentives not to attempt to attack the network as if they only have a minority of the hashrate any attack would be expensive to attempt and would likely fail.

This spot for rent.
gbooz

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 06:07:38 PM

There is the "trust" in the BTC transaction mechanics, when you do not need the mediation (no need for "trustee", like in a banking system). This "trust" is highlighted in the article. And there is much more important "trust" when somebody accepting your payment for his services and/or products. Because of this "trust" most of us are accepting BTC. Without the second "trust" there is no need for BTC.
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 06:26:03 PM

A lack of the need to trust is what makes bitcoin work. If you understand that it is very easy to avoid these issues. Every major or even minor theft or scam was perpetrated by people taking advantage of the trust others placed in them. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: