Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:35:22 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: sdasdasd  (Read 4031 times)
fanaat (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:54:50 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2015, 12:06:17 AM by fanaat

dsfsdfsdf
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:56:03 PM

All you have to do is make a BIP38 encrypted private key. They cannot decrypt it to take your bitcoins, and they cannot get the bitcoin address from it to look it up either.
Mats8500

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:56:52 PM

I would encrypt my wallet, plus make copies and secure them somewhere else in case they take they seize the computer itself.
byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:58:35 PM

I would encrypt my wallet, plus make copies and secure them somewhere else in case they take they seize the computer itself.

Uh.... If you make more copies, they would find them, and nothing would happen even in they take your computer.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2014, 05:51:50 PM

All you have to do is make a BIP38 encrypted private key. They cannot decrypt it to take your bitcoins, and they cannot get the bitcoin address from it to look it up either.

Correct but they can also get a court order compelling you to open the thing to them.

If you fail to do so, you can and will be held in contempt of court and given free room and board in the Greybar Hotel until you change your mind.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 05:56:31 PM

I would split my bitcoin holdings into two parts 90% and 10%. Hide the private keys with two different methods. If LE ask for your bitcoin, give them the 10% stash.
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 05:58:22 PM

I would split my bitcoin holdings into two parts 90% and 10%. Hide the private keys with two different methods. If LE ask for your bitcoin, give them the 10% stash.
This could work, though possibly not if discussing such an idea was in your post history  Grin
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2014, 09:29:40 PM

As title says: how do you keep bitcoins safe from LE(Law Enforcement) incase they have a warrent to storm your house take everything etc. What can a user do in such situation?

What steps do i need to do crypting my wallets etc . to prevent this? aswell so they cant see the amount of bitcoins in a wallet/computer

How to Crypt your wallet:

1) Travel to 3 points in North Denver
2) initiate your wallet in the local chapter
3) Pop some punk-ass-bloods
4) Find some at a gas station - walk towards them while a bigrig is comming your way to cause the big rig to swerve into them.
5) Congratulations, your wallet is now Crypt-ified.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:38:06 PM

Correct but they can also get a court order compelling you to open the thing to them.

If you fail to do so, you can and will be held in contempt of court and given free room and board in the Greybar Hotel until you change your mind.
Put on a dummy public address with one bitcent instead of the actual amount in the encrypted key. If they still want it, then have the dummy address be a brain wallet.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
shkiser

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:41:39 PM

As title says: how do you keep bitcoins safe from LE(Law Enforcement) incase they have a warrent to storm your house take everything etc. What can a user do in such situation?

What steps do i need to do crypting my wallets etc . to prevent this? aswell so they cant see the amount of bitcoins in a wallet/computer

How to Crypt your wallet:

1) Travel to 3 points in North Denver
2) initiate your wallet in the local chapter
3) Pop some punk-ass-bloods
4) Find some at a gas station - walk towards them while a bigrig is comming your way to cause the big rig to swerve into them.
5) Congratulations, your wallet is now Crypt-ified.

LOL

I was trying ti follow, wondering where u were going with this..

Free Litecoin Faucet ---> http://ltc4you.com/?r=6840
acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:08:54 PM

How would they know you have Bitcoins?
DewlanceVPS

Activity: 61
Merit: 102

Dewlance.com

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 10:17:13 AM

Encrypt your wallet and store your wallet in a pen drive and hide this pen drive in some secret place.

Always take a backup of your wallet in other pen drive, etc. ;P

Premium Web Hosting - We accept Bitcoins and Cryptocurrency
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:31:14 AM

Never have your pubkey associated directly with your legal identity. If your legal identity is tied to any pubkeys you use, you're probably boned and will need to turn over the privkeys. If you have pubkeys showing in your wallet at all and they hold coins, you're probably boned and will need to turn over the privkeys, even if they're watch-only.

If you just keep your privkey private, though, you won't have your bitcoins seized -- that'd be technically impossible until they figure out how to accurately extract data from your brain. -But you're basically in a hostage/blackmail situation. If they found you controlled the pubkey at one point, they could probably charge you (maybe successfully) with destroying evidence, obstructing justice, and whatever other stupid charge they feel like piling on. Maybe money laundering if you "don't know who controls the key, now." Cheesy
ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 05:31:47 PM

Ummm...don't even sweat it.  I heard a rumor that the Greybar Hotel would be accepting bitcoin by the end of Q4 for all commissary items :-p

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 11:36:03 PM

Never have your pubkey associated directly with your legal identity. If your legal identity is tied to any pubkeys you use, you're probably boned and will need to turn over the privkeys. If you have pubkeys showing in your wallet at all and they hold coins, you're probably boned and will need to turn over the privkeys, even if they're watch-only.

So put a watch on the Silk Road seized coins addresses.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
BIGbangTheory

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 03:41:26 PM

Use a brain wallet.

Store your wallet on the cloud that allows access via TOR exit nodes and use TOR to access the cloud provider.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 05:56:59 PM

So put a watch on the Silk Road seized coins addresses.

I thought about suggesting that... go with the "oh, I'm just some fucking weirdo who likes to watch coin flow from a random subset of addresses" argument... but even still, if they can directly tie coin-filled public keys to you, I'd guess they demand you decrypt them and prosecute if you don't.
PilotofBTC
Legendary

Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 06:03:06 PM

Has there been a precedent setting district court case that decided this? I know it has been challenged. At least in the US you can't be force to incriminate yourself.
PilotofBTC
Legendary

Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 06:03:52 PM

This could work, though possibly not if discussing such an idea was in your post history  Grin

He could say it was a thought experiment, he never actually did it.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 06:05:05 PM

Has there been a precedent setting district court case that decided this? I know it has been challenged. At least in the US you can't be force to incriminate yourself.
It's disputed and has gone both ways in courts over the past few years. https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140626/06532327686/massachusetts-ignores-5th-amendment-says-defendant-can-be-forced-to-decrypt-his-computer.shtml
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: