Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:05:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread  (Read 158101 times)
allcoinminer

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 08:03:56 PM

I just received my 3 S3+. I have 2 corsair hx850 PSU's. Will they be enough to run all 3 at stock speeds and would their be any wiggle room to OC them a bit?

No need to worry about PSU limit.
You can run the three S3+ overclocked to 250Mhz with these 2 PSUs.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mashugina71

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 08:08:34 PM

I just received my 3 S3+. I have 2 corsair hx850 PSU's. Will they be enough to run all 3 at stock speeds and would their be any wiggle room to OC them a bit?

No need to worry about PSU limit.
You can run the three S3+ overclocked to 250Mhz with these 2 PSUs.

Awesome. Thank you for your help

MOJOcoin 15% pure PoS | Rokos OS | IoT | TOR
Website | Roadmap | Blockexplorer | Facebook | Twitter | Slack
Baylard

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2014, 08:38:17 PM

UPGRADES
PLEASE HELP .....

I have just received my upgrade kits last night for the s1 to s3 conversion . no info in conversion kits , but being tech savvy was able to figure it out easily enough ! The issue is, I did not factor in the controller board being from my s1's and overclocked too !!! first one powered and half the chips x'd out , I then noticed the freq at 375 so I (as fast as I could) manually ssh'd n set the chip to 200 ! (which I found was the wrong settings anyway due to the new architecture) after a reboot I had no monitoring capabilities at all !!! I then proceeded and flash the firmware to no avail !! Huh The miner will run but there is no hashing and the status page is empty  Huh Angry I have two more upgrades to do and frankly would like them to operate properly !

Anyone out there have any experience with the upgrades ? should I flash the s1 then shut down before upgrading it ? Is there any hope for the one upgrade I have done Already ?

My experience with the s1's has been good they seem pretty bulletproof , I'm praying the new chips architecture is as tuff !!!

Any help is greatly appreciated  Cheesy

Thnx..........
Baylard
pekatete

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2014, 08:49:44 AM

UPGRADES
PLEASE HELP .....

I have just received my upgrade kits last night for the s1 to s3 conversion . no info in conversion kits , but being tech savvy was able to figure it out easily enough ! The issue is, I did not factor in the controller board being from my s1's and overclocked too !!! first one powered and half the chips x'd out , I then noticed the freq at 375 so I (as fast as I could) manually ssh'd n set the chip to 200 ! (which I found was the wrong settings anyway due to the new architecture) after a reboot I had no monitoring capabilities at all !!! I then proceeded and flash the firmware to no avail !! Huh The miner will run but there is no hashing and the status page is empty  Huh Angry I have two more upgrades to do and frankly would like them to operate properly !

Anyone out there have any experience with the upgrades ? should I flash the s1 then shut down before upgrading it ? Is there any hope for the one upgrade I have done Already ?

My experience with the s1's has been good they seem pretty bulletproof , I'm praying the new chips architecture is as tuff !!!

Any help is greatly appreciated  Cheesy

Thnx..........
Baylard

Make your hardware upgrade and ensure all is done, then:
1. Start the upgraded rig- it will not hash since you still have the S1 firmware
2. Download the S3 firmware and flash it onto the upgraded rig - overwrite settings.
3. Flashing the firmware will reset the upgraded rig IP to the default static of 192.168.1.99 - if you have another rig set at the default IP, you will need to either switch it off for a moment while the upgraded rig is starting up, or change its IP to another before starting up the upgraded rig.
4. You will now be able to get into the upgraded rig via the default IP. I firstly changed the networking back to DHCP client then added the pool url's (which are overwritten)
5. Optionally, download and install cgminer 4.6 as the firmware still ships with the version containing security flaws.
6. You can either restart cgminer to start hashing via the Startup tab, or reboot the unit.

Baylard

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:05:42 PM

After posting last night, I reflashed the unit one more time , which seemed to give me the full control in the gui ! but I still have no hashing from the unit ! From here I proceeded in shutting down and checking all cables , this did not help ! I then connected to another power supply (both ps have been operating s1s with no prob) after connecting the other ps the small cable included for the new power board shorted out (fried) !!! I then left it for the night t  Angry this morn I have changed cables , changed hashing boards and changed the new power controller to no avail !!! unsure how or why the controller board from an operational s1 could b the prob but that's the next step except for the advice for upgrading cg-miner to 4,6 !?!?!

Any Other Ideas ? ............

Thnx

Baylard
Baylard

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:38:04 PM

Well I guess i could use a little help the the cgminer upgrade ! Sad Huh I have downloaded and tried to instal thru the gui about 8 times now and have had no luck !!!! Huh I receive an error of download link bad , or such !?!
Fletcher11

Activity: 4

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 09:53:36 PM

When upgrading from S1 to S3 one thing to try after installing the latest firmware is to go to miner configuration select the advanced settings tab then select a frequency. Click on the save and apply button.

When I upgraded mine it would not start hashing until I set the frequency.
Baylard

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 10:10:36 PM

Ive tried the lower frequency for the s3 with no luck ! what freq did u use ? I am in the middle of trying firmware from first on up to c if it will hash !

Baylard
pekatete

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2014, 11:41:08 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2014, 11:54:31 PM by pekatete

Well I guess i could use a little help the the cgminer upgrade ! Sad Huh I have downloaded and tried to instal thru the gui about 8 times now and have had no luck !!!! Huh I receive an error of download link bad , or such !?!
You did NOT carry out the instructions I gave you above!

If you are getting an error trying to download cgminer, then you STILL have your network set to static IP. Go to Network -> Interfaces and click on Edit (LAN) then change the protocol to DHCP Client, and finally click on Save & Apply. Your rig should start to hash straight away (or soon after you Save & Apply), you will also be able to download cgminer 4.6 after that.

It does pay to read ....

EDIT: I am assuming that you are connecting via LAN and not WiFi. If you are connecting via WiFi, then rather than edit the LAN, do the WiFi ....

Baylard

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 06:10:47 PM

I apparently misread the your instructions  Undecided Embarrassed I finally checked/set my dhcp and finally came up hashing !!!  Did the second one this morning and had no problems at all  Grin  I appreciate your time and input ! I guess I have to get a hold of Bitmain now to get another power/hash cable before I can do the last one !

on a second note.......
 Does anyone have an upgrade that is hashing BELOW promised rate ? The first one I did is not hashing about 410 at ten hrs run time ? The second is avraging 440 in 45 min ! my thoughts are with the new voltage/hash board !? Any ideas ?

Thnx

Baylard................
pekatete

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 06:20:51 PM

on a second note.......
 Does anyone have an upgrade that is hashing BELOW promised rate ? The first one I did is not hashing about 410 at ten hrs run time ? The second is avraging 440 in 45 min ! my thoughts are with the new voltage/hash board !? Any ideas ?

Not all units hash well at stock frequencies, but my experience has been that those that do not hash well at stock frequency tend to hash better (speed-wise) at higher frequencies. So if the unit doing 410 GH/s after 10hrs is running at 225, set it a notch up and see how it handles that (of course assuming you are powering it up adequately for either frequency AND that you installed the heatsinks with enough paste / pads). How is the HW rate of the "under-performing" unit?

But generally, the kits I've deployed are, in my opinion S3+ rated if not better.

Baylard

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 06:28:26 PM

the rate is 88 , I was trying to figure out how to past the data without it going scrambled  Huh Everything is coated well with thermal paste temps r 43 c .

Also tried at 4 hrs bumping up the freq but seemed to slow more Huh
pekatete

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 06:33:30 PM

the rate is 88 , I was trying to figure out how to past the data without it going scrambled  Huh Everything is coated well with thermal paste temps r 43 c .
88 HW errors is quite good after 10 hrs so I believe you may have one of those units that will work better at a higher freq. Try notching it up to the 243'ish freq and see how it hashes.

EDIT: - missed your last bit .... Hmmmm! strange. Then do a power cycle when you can, because from your HW errors, it seems you have it powered OK, unless the errors dramatically increase at the higher freq.

Baylard

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 06:37:37 PM

k , Just bumped it to your recommendation , let u now this eve how its looking  Wink

Thnx Again

Baylard...........
Baylard

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 06:44:41 PM

Damn , 64 hw in 5 min n hash brd one completely xd out at that freq !!!! Huh Huh Huh

Baylard.......
pekatete

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 06:48:31 PM

Damn , 64 hw in 5 min n hash brd one completely xd out at that freq !!!! Huh Huh Huh
Baylard.......
That does NOT look good! I'd switch back to stock freq. Are you powering up this unit OK? Also, never known an entire board being x'ed out .... unless there is a loose connection somewhere!? (just thinking ... but double check all are well connected).

Baylard

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 07:06:37 PM

Trying to think  Huh when I first set this one up , it didn't seem right ! in the process of debugging n chking cables one of the new cables smoked ! But then I changed hash brds , controller brd , power brd . basically everything  Huh Huh Huh Physical chking of the unit shows the new cable to xd out brd getting quit warm !???
pekatete

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 07:15:58 PM

Trying to think  Huh when I first set this one up , it didn't seem right ! in the process of debugging n chking cables one of the new cables smoked ! But then I changed hash brds , controller brd , power brd . basically everything  Huh Huh Huh Physical chking of the unit shows the new cable to xd out brd getting quit warm !???
Smoking gun! (no pun intended). Though I am at a loss as to why that may happen; as far as I can fathom, those cables do not  (are not supposed to) carry any significant amount of current to the point of getting warm.

It is at this point that I declare myself out! I have exhausted my limited knowledge and experience and this is clearly something someone else (bitmain maybe?) will have to address.

Baylard

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 07:19:30 PM

Well thank u for your time , fyi after changing freq system brd 1 stayed xd out , After rebooting Brd 1 came up n brd two did not  Huh Huh Huh Huh
Guess i'll try another new power brd , then hash brd  Huh
pekatete

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2014, 07:22:58 PM

Well thank u for your time , fyi after changing freq system brd 1 stayed xd out , After rebooting Brd 1 came up n brd two did not  Huh Huh Huh Huh
Did you do a power recycle? I have cleared x'es by doing an SSH reboot, which had failed to clear by a power cycle. Having said that, what hash speed do you get with the x'ed out board?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: