Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:43:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My wallet is stolen! (10 BTC)  (Read 7713 times)
KimNam

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 06:21:29 PM

This is the 3rd time i saw a theft related to bitcoins in less than 2 days.
We need someone with terrific skills to track down on what is going on.
I don't think it's real, someone with 10BTC is either a bad investor who doesn't research how to properly protect funds or is lying because an earlier investor would have locked his coins up safely by now.
10 BTC is huge money, i don't think he won't research before buy bitcoin
and if they are eariler investor, they will care about safety like you said
so this is a fake thread maybe Roll Eyes
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 06:31:54 PM

A months wages now, we have no idea when he got them.
Early investor may not have cared if it was play money and not investment, as it was to many.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 06:40:46 PM

This thread makes me nervious... I created a.... offlineish wallet...  It is currently offline but.. this is what I did..

New hard drive, install windows, install BTC-QT, encrypt, send BTC to wallet, back up wallet to many USB's remove hard drive.

Odds of me getting screwed are..?!

Your wallet.dat file is still sitting on your computer in the roaming app data folder of Bitcoin Core.   That is what everyone is referring to as the wallet still being online...
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:01:08 PM

This thread makes me nervious... I created a.... offlineish wallet...  It is currently offline but.. this is what I did..

New hard drive, install windows, install BTC-QT, encrypt, send BTC to wallet, back up wallet to many USB's remove hard drive.

Odds of me getting screwed are..?!

Your wallet.dat file is still sitting on your computer in the roaming app data folder of Bitcoin Core.   That is what everyone is referring to as the wallet still being online...

i can't believe that people who hold bitcoins still don't know about cold storage.. it doesn't take very long to figure out, and it gives you way more peace of mind. every time i see a thread like this, i feel more secure about my holdings.
sgravina

Activity: 451

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:25:41 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2014, 10:37:02 PM by sgravina

This is a fake theft.

I had a fake loss of 10,000 bitcoins.  Here is the transaction: a1075db55d416d3ca199f55b6084e2115b9345e16c5cf302fc80e9d5fbf5d48d.

Those were my orphan mother's coins.  Please help me get them back.  Tech support won't help.
santaClause

Activity: 183

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:41:33 PM

Today I saw that my offline wallet is empty.  Cry
Someone has transferred all my 10 BTC.  Cry

Date: 7/16/2014 22:28
To: 1C1qWEU2xrh7CTFWVxohs9JzFiLDC6bXMs
Debit: -10.00 BTC
Transaction fee: -0.0001 BTC
Net amount: -10.0001 BTC
Transaction ID: b1de73c8ffd10d31f9e2fecf93b4d0afe4b3e0a2ec75fb1ef72ae7671a747c29

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do please?

How could this happen?

Nobody has physical access to my computer.

My backup wallet is on usb flash in safe place.

This is the 3rd time i saw a theft related to bitcoins in less than 2 days.
We need someone with terrific skills to track down on what is going on.
I don't think it's real, someone with 10BTC is either a bad investor who doesn't research how to properly protect funds or is lying because an earlier investor would have locked his coins up safely by now.

10 BTC is over $6,000.00. This is a serious amount of money to most people. Even multibillion dollar companies will investigate and attempt to recover a $6,000 loss.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:49:54 PM

There are a lot of resources out there to help secure your coins. With that amount I would have them in a paper wallet. If the theft is legitimate I hope they are recovered.

picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 11:00:34 PM

To prevent those attacks you should have followed this guide:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_set_up_a_secure_offline_savings_wallet

Good link!

It is sad that you lost all your BTC, it reminds me of all the BTC I lost Sad
You can build a wallet again
ANTIcentralized

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 04:20:48 AM

There are a lot of resources out there to help secure your coins. With that amount I would have them in a paper wallet. If the theft is legitimate I hope they are recovered.
I would have serious doubts that they coins actually were stolen, or even ever belonged to the OP
Kayex

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 04:23:34 AM

lol this idiot has no idea what offline wallet means.

He thinks not running btc core means offline
Now now.
I get what you mean.
He owns 10 BTC and he didn't even store it properly.

Everyone makes mistakes!

Though this is just a BIGGER mistake.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 04:26:51 AM

i think its a fake theft, he sent .05 BTC back to himself as change... why wouldnt the hacker take that too, its $30.

Cicero2.0

Activity: 98

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 04:30:50 AM

i think its a fake theft, he sent .05 BTC back to himself as change... why wouldnt the hacker take that too, its $30.

Agreed. This is becoming a familiar theme around here. Luckily no one is really falling for it.

AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 04:51:39 AM

A months wages now, we have no idea when he got them.
Early investor may not have cared if it was play money and not investment, as it was to many.
If he got them back then i am sure he would have seen it in the news realized it has become a lot and do a bit to secure them, the more time I spend on these forums the more i assume people are liars trying to make a quick coin.

Not necessarily.

Knew what they were worth?
Yes.

Knew how to secure them?
Not necessarily.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
redHeadBlunder

Activity: 81

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:11:00 AM

Agreed. This is becoming a familiar theme around here. Luckily no one is really falling for it.
If I had to guess  would say the OP is trying to get people to give him coins to cover his "theft"

I doubt his theft was real.

I don't think there are a lot of these on here, but the number is growing
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:26:51 AM

Shit man, not fun to lose that many bitcoins.

People think Bitcoin Core is an offline wallet, it's not when your pc is connected to the internet.

Before ever making a cold storage wallet, scan your pc thoroughly, use up2date antivirus, and also scan with Hitman Pro after that.

You should be fine after that to make a cold storage wallet.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:29:30 AM

Before ever making a cold storage wallet, scan your pc thoroughly, use up2date antivirus, and also scan with Hitman Pro after that.

Or just use an Linux OS, no need to mess about with any of that nonsense.

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 10:50:30 AM

PHD Candidate Bitcoin researcher had ~9000 BTC stolen while he was using Linux. CDecker on this forum. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=49

Notice his user number is 49 too. Hell he could even be Satoshi(probably not though).
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 11:10:16 AM

thank god that we will have companies that store the btc with insurance in the future (yes we need them!) . you cant handle mainstream at this stage. people will store thousands of dollars in their hot wallet (they dont even know what that is actually) or on their tempted, crappy PC. BTC is to complicated for the average joe. far away from mainstream but we will get there  Smiley

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 11:21:50 AM

PHD Candidate Bitcoin researcher had ~9000 BTC stolen while he was using Linux. CDecker on this forum. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=49

Your meant to keep the machine offline. Looks like he had it online, which is asking for trouble using any OS.

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 11:36:07 AM

Your meant to keep the machine offline. Looks like he had it online, which is asking for trouble using any OS.

Yeah. It was online. It's still a pretty shocking loss and I don't know of another individual getting hacked while using Linux.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: