Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:07:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Complaints about amount of Monero posts thread  (Read 5384 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 04:49:48 PM

Yes, I had no opinion of Monero before but now my opinion is that if I want to use it, now's not the right time because it appears that there is a social engineering attempt taking place to boost confidence in it.
You won't be able to use it as Bitcoin for buying product anytime soon, that's for sure.

For the social engineering part, well. We chose a plan and stick with it. The highlights are: weekly update and high signal-to-noise ratio. The rest is market being the market. As usual avoid buying when the price rises.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 08:16:10 PM

The Bitcoin API is fundamentally broken - it assumes that the daemon (that syncs up to the network) and the wallet are the same thing.

A) Please demonstrate

B) If A can be done, Please explain why it is a problem

Otherwise it is just FUD

Hrrrrrmm. My point is clear and obvious: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_Bitcoin_client/API_Calls_list - a daemon that syncs up to a p2p network should have no concept of "balance",and should thus not be able to "getbalance". Seriously, this is not FUD, and the fact that you don't know that the Bitcoin core team is working on this as a matter of importance is quite shocking. Have you seriously never used any of Bitcoin Core's RPC calls? These are extremely basic concept we're discussing here.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 08:20:55 PM

There was a lot of similar hyping of dogecoin as it crumbled.

And that's what statements like that say to me - the coin is crumbling so you are trying to hype up momentum.

It may have worked in the past but its old tactic now, and has the opposite of the desired effect.

Yopu should not invest in an asset without ample reading first. Then you will make your own opinion.
Leads: Risto Pietila, Gregory Maxwell, Peter Todd, dga, devtome, Tacotime, the OP with the various monero missives...

Yes, I had no opinion of Monero before but now my opinion is that if I want to use it, now's not the right time because it appears that there is a social engineering attempt taking place to boost confidence in it.

You're being disingenuous - a statement of fact is NOT the same as hyping or a social engineering attack. Like I said, do your research, talk to Gregory Maxwell (Bitcoin core developer) or Risto Pietila (a large Bitcoin holder) and let's touch base in 6 months.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:26:10 PM

The Bitcoin API is fundamentally broken - it assumes that the daemon (that syncs up to the network) and the wallet are the same thing.

There is more to it than that. The only way to use the Bitcoin API is if the coin is almost identical to Bitcoin itself, which is why 99% of the hundreds of worthless pump-and-dump altcoin clones use the Bitcoin API.

A coin that actually does anything fundamentally new or differently compared to Bitcoin (which is certainly the case for Monero) will need to have a different API.

If anything "uses the Bitcoin API" is a strong clue that you are looking at a worthless clone coin.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 08:28:02 PM

Funny how what was supposed to be a joke threafs ended up with actual content Smiley

Also funny how this thread that has now evolved into a new discussion of Monero grew out of a complaint about Monero having too many threads. Streisand effect at its best.

AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 10:17:32 PM

A) Please demonstrate

B) If A can be done, Please explain why it is a problem

Otherwise it is just FUD

Hrrrrrmm. My point is clear and obvious: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_Bitcoin_client/API_Calls_list - a daemon that syncs up to a p2p network should have no concept of "balance",and should thus not be able to "getbalance". Seriously, this is not FUD, and the fact that you don't know that the Bitcoin core team is working on this as a matter of importance is quite shocking. Have you seriously never used any of Bitcoin Core's RPC calls? These are extremely basic concept we're discussing here.

I run the daemon - I don't need to use getbalance but for people who mine with it (when that was still possible) it had value. You could easily see what had been mined. And that's a problem because... Huh

How exactly does the ability of a daemon to check a balance hurt the platform?

Don't use that feature if you never have a balance for it to check. I don't, and it doesn't bother me.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
rikkejohn

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 10:20:26 PM

The most "shilled" coin ever, and it still can't get off the ground.

It's one of those coins where very small orders are made to give the pretence of lots of trade, or where people just buy ttheir own coins hoping to suck a few people into the process.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 10:24:12 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2014, 10:48:58 PM by smooth

It's one of those coins where very small orders are made to give the pretence of lots of trade, or where people just buy ttheir own coins hoping to suck a few people into the process.

Wow, this would be a serious allegation, if you had verifiable evidence, but I'm guessing you don't, so just more FUD to remind us we are doing something right. Thanks!

rikkejohn

Activity: 644

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 10:37:38 PM

Wow, this would be a serious allegation, if you had verifiable evidence, but I'm guessing you don't, so just more FUD to remind us we are something right. Thanks!

My lack of verifiable evidence is equalled by your fallacy that lack of verifiable evidence is enough to remind you that you are right.

hideous comeback.

Look, I know shilling when I see it.  Poloniex is full of guys singing the praises of it, so much that you even get little reminders from the mods to take what they hear in the Troll Box with a pinch of salt.

Nobody is putting in 1 bitcoin orders for it, just a string of 0.002s with gaps filling up space from the best bid to the bottom.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 10:47:24 PM

Nobody is putting in 1 bitcoin orders for it, just a string of 0.002s with gaps filling up space from the best bid to the bottom.

Really now?

Order book:

Code:
0.00450045	1111.00001111	5

Ticker:
Code:
2014-07-19 21:14:16	Sell	0.00463132	359	1.66264388
Code:
2014-07-19 20:31:33	Buy	0.004569	225	1.028025

Just a few I found in 30 seconds of looking. I'm sure there are other big orders, and there have certainly been much bigger orders at times.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 10:50:48 PM

A few more:

Code:
.00472217	613.92290905	2.89904834

Code:
0.00470000	436.61931064	2.05211076

Code:
0.00460000	510.71412388	2.34928497

Are you even looking at the right coin? This coin has had the highest trading volume most days on Poloniex for months now. Some days over 1000 BTC
Joshuar

Activity: 504

eidoo wallet

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 11:02:34 PM

Complaints? I'm a Darkcoin fanboy I must admit.., but Monero is a really damn good coin.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 02:23:50 AM

i still think there is too many Monero topics LOL

not as bad as PTS / Bitshares crap from FreeTrade though.. his advertising crap has been blatant
and i have not made one comment on any of his crappy scammy garbage because i don't want to bump his stupid topics lol

all i know is i support only mined POW style coins.. any of these big premine / IPO stye coins are a scam .
and all of those seem to be the most hyped in here. Like they can't live with constant spamming and nagging..
and go for it.. if you think the public is going to respond to that go for it lol

FUD first & ask questions later™
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 02:42:29 AM

i still think there is too many Monero topics LOL

not as bad as PTS / Bitshares crap from FreeTrade though.. his advertising crap has been blatant
and i have not made one comment on any of his crappy scammy garbage because i don't want to bump his stupid topics lol

all i know is i support only mined POW style coins.. any of these big premine / IPO stye coins are a scam .
and all of those seem to be the most hyped in here. Like they can't live with constant spamming and nagging..
and go for it.. if you think the public is going to respond to that go for it lol

Monero is PoW, no premine, no IPO.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 02:49:14 AM

ok well you may wanna post the full coin specs for Monero if your using this as advertising Wink

i also don't mind Carbon Coin so much at least they keep their crap to one topic LOL

negative attention can be utilized to your advantage if your smart and the coin really is truly legit Wink
those with nothing to fear have nothing to fear or fight about etc

anyone that keeps harping on you with various points like, i'm NOT an asshole.. i am a good guy ..is lying.
and i AM an asshole LOL

BUT i try and be an honest one and even my own harping good intentions or not can have the opposite effect.

FUD first & ask questions later™
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 05:48:20 AM

ok well you may wanna post the full coin specs for Monero if your using this as advertising Wink

No need to post the full specs here, it is on the main thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.0
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 06:35:25 AM

The reason there are "looooots" of Monero topics is because there is intense interest from those that are knowledgeable about cryptocurrencies,

There was a lot of similar hyping of dogecoin as it crumbled.

And that's what statements like that say to me - the coin is crumbling so you are trying to hype up momentum.

It may have worked in the past but its old tactic now, and has the opposite of the desired effect.

Yopu should not invest in an asset without ample reading first. Then you will make your own opinion.
Leads: Risto Pietila, Gregory Maxwell, Peter Todd, dga, devtome, Tacotime, the OP with the various monero missives...

I don't like the forced meme approach either. Even altcoin observer should be renamed monero observer judging by the amount of discussion towards other innovative developments relative to monero circlejerking.. Granted it's not the same pump n dump long con by a team of marketers we've seen before; Fundamentally the coin (protocol, really) is strong, a  diamond in a sea of shit, and this time we have cabal (perhaps soon to be monero foundation) of intelligent old heads.. 'bitcointalk allstars', silver stackers, TA tea leaf readers you know the kind of people that have latin in their signature giving it the thumbs up, creating 5 or 6 seperate threads,) boosting trade volume, pulling strings here n there. along with usual brown-nosers following the crowd because it pays to ultimately. I personally am invested for a while, but I've seen time and time again a dangerous insinuation that monero is the one and only and it reflects badly on the speaker,

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2014, 10:52:33 AM

I don't like the forced meme approach either. Even altcoin observer should be renamed monero observer judging by the amount of discussion towards other innovative developments relative to monero circlejerking.. Granted it's not the same pump n dump long con by a team of marketers we've seen before; Fundamentally the coin (protocol, really) is strong, a  diamond in a sea of shit, and this time we have cabal (perhaps soon to be monero foundation) of intelligent old heads.. 'bitcointalk allstars', silver stackers, TA tea leaf readers you know the kind of people that have latin in their signature giving it the thumbs up, creating 5 or 6 seperate threads,) boosting trade volume, pulling strings here n there. along with usual brown-nosers following the crowd because it pays to ultimately. I personally am invested for a while, but I've seen time and time again a dangerous insinuation that monero is the one and only and it reflects badly on the speaker,

Speaking as one of the Monero core team members, I can assure you that there will NEVER be a Monero Foundation. If anyone starts something like that we will reject it, and will encourage the community to reject it.

We are rapidly moving towards a point where every effort - including features, peripheral projects, lobbying, and so on - will be completely community driven and community funded. We will have no control over this process, other than to influence a particular goal by means of weighing in rationally on debates. Any shilling we try do for a particular idea or goal will quickly be called out. We will not have "our" way - the development and future of Monero will be as decentralised as the cryptocurrency itself.

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 04:48:03 PM

Also Monero is larger than the scamcoins, and thus needs more threads.

Yes, won't take long before monero's blockchain size is as large as every other coins' blockchains combined!
Joshuar

Activity: 504

eidoo wallet

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 04:50:06 PM

Speaking as one of the Monero core team members, I can assure you that there will NEVER be a Monero Foundation. If anyone starts something like that we will reject it, and will encourage the community to reject it.

We are rapidly moving towards a point where every effort - including features, peripheral projects, lobbying, and so on - will be completely community driven and community funded. We will have no control over this process, other than to influence a particular goal by means of weighing in rationally on debates. Any shilling we try do for a particular idea or goal will quickly be called out. We will not have "our" way - the development and future of Monero will be as decentralised as the cryptocurrency itself.

I'm impressed by that post fluffypony..

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄