Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 08:05:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Complaints about amount of Monero posts thread  (Read 5384 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2014, 10:48:21 PM

I don't like the forced meme approach either. Even altcoin observer should be renamed monero observer judging by the amount of discussion towards other innovative developments relative to monero circlejerking.. Granted it's not the same pump n dump long con by a team of marketers we've seen before; Fundamentally the coin (protocol, really) is strong, a  diamond in a sea of shit, and this time we have cabal (perhaps soon to be monero foundation) of intelligent old heads.. 'bitcointalk allstars', silver stackers, TA tea leaf readers you know the kind of people that have latin in their signature giving it the thumbs up, creating 5 or 6 seperate threads,) boosting trade volume, pulling strings here n there. along with usual brown-nosers following the crowd because it pays to ultimately. I personally am invested for a while, but I've seen time and time again a dangerous insinuation that monero is the one and only and it reflects badly on the speaker,

Speaking as one of the Monero core team members, I can assure you that there will NEVER be a Monero Foundation. If anyone starts something like that we will reject it, and will encourage the community to reject it.

We are rapidly moving towards a point where every effort - including features, peripheral projects, lobbying, and so on - will be completely community driven and community funded. We will have no control over this process, other than to influence a particular goal by means of weighing in rationally on debates. Any shilling we try do for a particular idea or goal will quickly be called out. We will not have "our" way - the development and future of Monero will be as decentralised as the cryptocurrency itself.

I'm impressed by that post fluffypony..

Thanks:) We are strong believers in doing things in a way that is sustainable and holds value for Monero in the long run, so it's really just an embodiment of those values.

xulescu

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 12:55:10 AM

Thanks:) We are strong believers in doing things in a way that is sustainable and holds value for Monero in the long run, so it's really just an embodiment of those values.

It is not even the 'greater good'. It's simply a prisoner's dilemma in which it is self-servingly rational to cooperate.

This means getting the incentives right and that's exactly why Monero is and will be hot.
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:08:57 AM

not as bad as PTS / Bitshares crap from FreeTrade though..

He deleted my post insisting that he's the love child of Captain Picard & Heisenberg.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
roozifus

Activity: 249

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 02:15:46 PM

Meh,

I bought Monero cheap because cryptonote looked interesting and I thought Monero was the best implementation.

But I've sold it all now.

My next pick is Fractal, check it out Smiley
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=650173.0

Faucet in my sig Smiley
Mwalshe89

Activity: 233
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:53:49 PM

Also Monero is larger than the scamcoins, and thus needs more threads.

Yes, won't take long before monero's blockchain size is as large as every other coins' blockchains combined!

Its funny how everyone in Monero blaintent ignores the fact it can never go mainstream
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 06:30:53 PM

Yes, won't take long before monero's blockchain size is as large as every other coins' blockchains combined!

Its funny how everyone in Monero blaintent ignores the fact it can never go mainstream

It's funny how Bitcoin has an even worse problem - their blockchain is about to break 20gb, it'll never go mainstream.

Quick, everyone, sell your Bitcoins and buy Monero, our blockchain is only 750mb!

Mwalshe89

Activity: 233

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:09:52 PM

It's funny how Bitcoin has an even worse problem - their blockchain is about to break 20gb, it'll never go mainstream.

Quick, everyone, sell your Bitcoins and buy Monero, our blockchain is only 750mb!

Stop dodging the point...

Your copy pasta ring signatures from bytecoin cause significant exponential growth ontop of a regular blockchain. It's the same reason the coin you cloned yourselves from ended up dying. Monero's been around for how long? And has how many users compared to bitcoin?

The fact you guys spam this entire forum wth your threads about how Monero is superior, when it is arguable the one of the most flawed coin in existence, is absolutely ridiculous. You know as well as I do until you fix this issue your just dragging people into a ticking timebomb.
onemorebtc

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:48:59 PM

Your copy pasta ring signatures from bytecoin cause significant exponential growth ontop of a regular blockchain. It's the same reason the coin you cloned yourselves from ended up dying. Monero's been around for how long? And has how many users compared to bitcoin?

bcn was a stillborn, because it has a very heavy premine (we could call it ring sig development fund)

why do you care about blockchain size?
atm its not a problem at all; for servers it wont ever be a problem and users can use lightwallets then...

transfer 3 onemorebtc.k1024.de 1
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 09:46:08 PM

The fact you guys spam this entire forum wth your threads about how Monero is superior, when it is arguable the one of the most flawed coin in existence, is absolutely ridiculous. You know as well as I do until you fix this issue your just dragging people into a ticking timebomb.

The growth is not exponential, it's linear. Currently the blockchain grows at about 10mb per day. Do the math.

And you're acting like this is a problem we need to solve today. It's not.

Additionally, a larger blockchain is a tradeoff that users running full nodes will gladly accept if it means enabling a degree of privacy that Bitcoin simply cannot provide right now.

digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 09:50:14 PM

same old :

"Pump and hold high " thing that always goes on with a "CPU" currency.

it all started with Litecoin and then there were many others, a few people have a bunch because they are utilizing a "tech insider" gimmick.

i won't call it a "scam" its just not successful that's all.

can only hold off the free market for so long fellas, meanwhile who's out first?

: D

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 09:57:32 PM

it all started with Litecoin and then there were many others, a few people have a bunch because they are utilizing a "tech insider" gimmick.

Although it might not be quite the prevailing view my personal opinion is that LTC to be one of the biggest altcoin scams of them all, for a variety of reasons, and it has the farthest to fall.

Monero isn't even an altcoin, really, in the sense that it isn't a Bitcoin clone in any sense. It is just another piece of software that does some of the same things bitcoin does, but also has major differences (i.e privacy). Its most important feature is most certainly not the different PoW, that is rarely even discussed outside of the mining subcommunity.

reactive4ce

Activity: 129

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:08:11 PM

The growth is not exponential, it's linear. Currently the blockchain grows at about 10mb per day. Do the math.

And you're acting like this is a problem we need to solve today. It's not.

Additionally, a larger blockchain is a tradeoff that users running full nodes will gladly accept if it means enabling a degree of privacy that Bitcoin simply cannot provide right now.

Compare apples with apples, you say nothing how big transactions really are. Someone could say his shitcoin is superior to Bitcoin because the shitcoin blockchain grow only by 10kb daily...

And by the way, if you know really what you are doing you can be anonymous with Bitcoin already
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 10:12:25 PM

same old :

"Pump and hold high " thing that always goes on with a "CPU" currency.

i won't call it a "scam" its just not successful that's all.

can only hold off the free market for so long fellas, meanwhile who's out first?

: D

It's not a "CPU currency", and efficiency improvements in the PoW hashing were open-sourced and merged into the main repository as they were done. Remember: we are not the CryptoNote developers (who wrote and released the PoW in the CryptoNote reference code), and we would simply not have had the time or ability to make optimisations to the PoW fast enough to give us an advantage.

We are completely, 100% donation supported. None of the core team members have any noteworthy stash of Monero, otherwise we'd just be covering costs ourselves instead of raising funds through donations.

kbm

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:13:03 PM

And by the way, if you know really what you are doing you can be anonymous with Bitcoin already

But Bitcoin tx's are still linkable. Even if you were to expose yourself as owning both a Bitcoin address and Monero address, Monero tx's would still be unlinkable.

I don't consider microsoft office superior to openoffice because the size of its installation is bigger or smaller. Where are you going here?

Thanks Smiley
Falcon98

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:17:44 PM

Are you guys hating Monero because it can be mined with cpu? :p To lazy to read all the comments
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:19:21 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2014, 10:39:30 PM by smooth

Compare apples with apples, you say nothing how big transactions really are.

A typical "small" transaction on Monero is about 400 bytes. Here's a recent small transaction (2 inputs, 3 outputs)

http://monerochain.info/tx/4433b7a5813428fe96111a2f7b9b9af5a1b10f153d9a8c18c1ff391c8993c266

A typical "small" transaction on Bitcoin is about 400 bytes. Here's a recent small transaction (2 inputs, 2 outputs)

https://blockchain.info/tx/081d5317f0885523c30b5035b1662776ab60f148d4525ccf0531be65ddc8db10

Obviously there are a range of transaction sizes on both networks, but there is no exponential increase. None.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 10:25:44 PM

Compare apples with apples, you say nothing how big transactions really are. Someone could say his shitcoin is superior to Bitcoin because the shitcoin blockchain grow only by 10kb daily...

Huh? I was demonstrating that the growth is linear and not exponential. I never compared it with Bitcoin.

Your last sentence really hits the nail on the head with what we're trying to achieve with Monero. Let me elaborate:

Have you ever used DropBox or Google Drive or iCloud or Box.net or any of similar services? Well, about 7-ish years ago none of them existed. Then Drew Houston launched DropBox - and his announcement revealed a host of interesting comments. This is one of my favourites:

For a Linux user, you can already build such a system yourself quite trivially by getting an FTP account, mounting it locally with curlftpfs, and then using SVN or CVS on the mounted filesystem. From Windows or Mac, this FTP account could be accessed through built-in software.

And now? It has over 300 million users.

Just because something is doable "if you know really what you are doing" [sic] doesn't mean that is the most desirable course of action for all of the prospective users.

bitwho
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:31:21 PM

gotta say. i am kind of proud i initiated this top.

even thought it started as a satire to my complain of too many topics, it proved exactly my point. Hoping to get as much exposure as you can any ways necessary except the proper way. sound pretty weak.keep licking the honey pot prematurely.  good luck with that though.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 10:41:17 PM

even thought it started as a satire to my complain of too many topics, it proved exactly my point. Hoping to get as much exposure as you can any ways necessary except the proper way. sound pretty weak.keep licking the honey pot prematurely.  good luck with that though.

Your metaphor makes no sense. If it's a honey pot and you got in early (prematurely) and licked a whole lot of honey, wouldn't that ultimately be beneficial for you? You'd be the honey holder, in other words.

drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 04:23:32 AM

I started this because for once an actually useful altcoin comes along and now all the regular altcoin people are whining and whinging about the popularity it's recieving.

For all these years I thought the altcoin community were trying to find something that could truly have reason to exist alongside Bitcoin, hence all the altcoins and experimentation going on here.

Now Monero comes and is one of the best coins to come out of the altcoin section and proves that all these experiments are worth it, even if only a couple of coins ever emerge with actual utility.

But instead of saying "Oh yeah, see altcoins can be awesome!" you are all getting defensive.

Seems I was wrong, this section was never about making great coins, it was always about the pump and dump.

Monero isn't a pump and dump and this sets us apart from all the scamcoins here. Now I understand why all the scamcoiners are getting defensive.

So sad.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: